Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by markle
Saw this for the first time on a short haul flight this morning. What can I say? Whole video would be made much better with 100% less Chabuddy G [the guy playing the 'director' role].

The guy isn't funny in the least - and I'm wondering how on earth anyone thought that prepubescent drooling over female cast members was appropriate in 2017.

Honestly, the whole thing would be better with just the clips of the 'celebs' saying their bits.
+1...

Overall it is way too long. It totally ignores the essential rule of getting the message across succinctly - stick to the individual's messages without the director links. Remember that people's attention-span is extremely limited now - anything more than a couple of minutes is lost on them!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've been on two flights with it in the past two weeks. I'm surprised it got approved by the CAA. Is it a safety demo, a promotion for some charity or a load of luvvies massaging their egos?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
As has already been said, it's too long and very irritating. I do so love multi-millionaires telling me to stump up my small change for charity, its not really appropriate for a safety video.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Seen it twice, second time I was wishing we still had the bunny. I can't see how anyone would think that a passenger will pay attention to the same joke interspersed with the relevant safety info more than a couple of times, luckily for me I fly much less than a lot of the people on this forum.
I did stow my screen as soon as the actual safety pert of the video had finished.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I sat through the video twice today, which isn't bad when you consider the first iteration of it was at 2am local time (AUH). Oddly, I didn't find it as annoying as I expected when I saw it on YouTube or whatever. It was quite engaging and some of the performances were subtle. Isn't that John Hurt who delivers the smoking and wizards' pipe warnings? Didn't he die recently? He was the voice of the dragon in the TV series Merlin.

They must have shelled serious money out for that thing. Gives a whole new twist to the concept of cost cutting, doesn't it?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Concerto
I sat through the video twice today, which isn't bad when you consider the first iteration of it was at 2am local time (AUH). Oddly, I didn't find it as annoying as I expected when I saw it on YouTube or whatever. It was quite engaging and some of the performances were subtle. Isn't that John Hurt who delivers the smoking and wizards' pipe warnings? Didn't he die recently? He was the voice of the dragon in the TV series Merlin.

They must have shelled serious money out for that thing. Gives a whole new twist to the concept of cost cutting, doesn't it?
I feel very much the same as you. I've followed the new video six times on board so far and I still rather enjoy watching it.

It was Sir Ian McKellen who "auditioned" with the wizard pipe line. He's still very much alive, I'm glad to say.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Well, I enjoyed it for the first 2-3 times, but then it just became painful. Now, after about 10 times it's just impossible!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cabin crew were almost pulling faces as it went on and on. It could be cut down a bit. I have to say, I rather slagged it off somewhere near the beginning of this thread (I don't dare look now), but I've changed my mind having seen it "live". It has to be said, if they want people to pay attention to the video on repeat occasions, this isn't the way to go about it. Even my pal, who is a lot younger than me, totally ignored it the second time we saw it!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
It has to be said, if they want people to pay attention to the video on repeat occasions, this isn't the way to go about it.
Is that what they want though? I'd think it's better if it grabs the attention of the non-frequent flyer, rather than holding the attention of FTers who could probably write down the entire script from memory anyway.

The only safety point that I need to find out each time I sit down in an aircraft is how many rows it is to each exit, and the safety video isn't going to tell me that. I know the rest of it.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess you're right about that. The thing I check is how to open the doors. It's surprising how badly that is written on some cards. And I check that the life vest is where it should be. I told that to my young companion, and to keep his shoes on during take off.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Back to the old video on BA955 (MUC-LHR) tonight - caught me by surprise as was expecting to tune out the tedious jokes
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Well, I still prefer the new video to the old one. There are aspects I particularly like including the emphasis on "taking absolutely nothing with you" if directed to leave the aircraft in an emergency.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:50 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
My flight to DUS last week had a manual demo, so I still haven't seen it, although interestingly the person reading the autocue for the manual demo was obviously reading a "long haul" script because there were references to "First" and "Club World" etc and life vests being either under your seat or in a panel next to you. It did also mention phones and tablets falling into seat gaps.
This now seems to be the new service standard (JER-LGW is invariably on the old BD A319s without video screens, so we always get the manual demo). It means that there are now helpful references in the script to stowing footstools and video screens, and to pulling coloured streamers for oxygen masks in some areas, for an aircraft which doesn’t have them. The cabin crew seem baffled, and the more senior ones look embarrassed. Is this another brilliant Waterworld initiative from some mini-Cruz who has never been near an aircraft?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by golfmad
Well, I still prefer the new video to the old one. There are aspects I particularly like including the emphasis on "taking absolutely nothing with you" if directed to leave the aircraft in an emergency.
I noticed this phrase also being repeated in the approach phase of the flight.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Correct, it's the last thing we say before landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.