New Safety Video

Old Apr 5, 18, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
The crew on my flight just abandoned the safety video and switched to a manual demonstration because some passengers said they couldn't see the screens. So now we know what to do. The cabin crew are as delighted as I am.

(Able to post this as we are parked up due to a 1h20 ATC delay to our flight).
Wish I had known that because this was my view of the screen yesterday.

adrianlondon, wrp96 and Mackle like this.
Old Apr 5, 18, 5:39 am

Programs: BA, JAL
it's such a rubbish video that goes on forever.. painful to watch and makes me feel ten times older.
some of the people on it are so mono-toned and uninterested that it really belies the importance of the safety video and safety itself.
it is a shame because there are one or two decent characters involved in this 'production'. giving it a 0/10 would be too kind.
Old Apr 17, 18, 3:18 pm

Two BA flights taken over the last weekend. I didn't see a single person who watched the entire video. A few looked up when a new voice started, then continued playing on their phone, reading their newspaper or looking out the window. I don't fly with BA often, but I've seen the video enough times now to predict all the "jokes".

Contrast that with an airline like Ryanair, where most passengers seem to pay attention. Their demo is manual with a recorded audio (
) played in both English and then the language of origin/destination if time permits. It is serious, it gets to the point and is concise. I don't over praise Ryanair, but a demo like this is exactly what is needed, IMO.
Old Apr 17, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
I liked the old one. Why change it? This new one is lame and cringe worthy.
Old Apr 17, 18, 4:44 pm

Programs: The 4am BP pitstop club
The sad thing is I used to pay attention to the old one every time, despite being about to recite the entire video off by heart. The new one I watched two or three times and now it's just so cringey I can't bring myself to even look up at it.
Old Apr 18, 18, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Stena Gold
Being from a healthcare/ Risk Management background, I am conditioned to watching it every time (well as far as the appearance of Rowan Atkinson.)

i just wish i wasn’t!
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL+CCR, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius View Post
Being from a healthcare/ Risk Management background, I am conditioned to watching it every time (well as far as the appearance of Rowan Atkinson.)

i just wish i wasn’t!
I have had the cabin crew turn off the video as soon as it got to Rowan Atkinson on more than one occasion. I have heard them discuss doing a manual demonstration with the words I'm fed up with the new vid. An attitude I was more than happy with after seeing the video on too many occasions.
Old Apr 18, 18, 2:33 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
The sad thing is I used to pay attention to the old one every time, despite being about to recite the entire video off by heart. The new one I watched two or three times and now it's just so cringey I can't bring myself to even look up at it.
The only point where it's any good is where they talk about the Flying Start part since they are being serious and speaking in a compelling way. And that really bothers me because it seems like they are treating the safety procedures like they aren't very serious at all. I think the concept of using British Celebrities to tell the information is alright, but thinking about it even more now, my big problem is they treat it like a joke. It's perfectly possible to be light-hearted without crossing that line (the AF video is probably my favorite because it does that perfectly)

Unfortunately, there are plenty of events (just yesterday sadly on the WN flight, sadly) that remind us that these are very serious matters, despite how routine it may be.
Old Apr 18, 18, 2:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I really don't let it bother me, and even now there are still people who laugh at the jokes. My (21 year old) son when he first saw it thought it was good, but he knew all the actors and 'got' the references in the dialogue. I wonder if those who don't 'get' the jokes just don't understand the references, or may be they're just getting on a bit

There are two things I do like about this briefing, the first is the emphasis on taking absolutely nothing with you in the case of an emergency evacuation - so much so that when there is a manual demonstration I hear myself saying "and I mean nothing!' when instructed to leave all cabin items behind.

The other aspect I like is the instruction to only inflate the life jacket after leaving the aircraft, this very important instruction is often lost in many safety briefings.
Old Apr 18, 18, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
"Jess babes, don't be so hard on yourself".

I laugh every time. I've seen it over 100 times. From the ET cabin in shorthaul.

I think some people here take themselves too seriously, and complain at the drop of a hat. Especially when they don't know a world beyond longhaul J.
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jordan D View Post
"Jess babes, don't be so hard on yourself".

I laugh every time.
I honestly have no idea who she is. I'm assuming she's a singer and has had a hit record whose title is something about being hard on yourself, but don't really see why that would make you laugh every time.

(And she's right - "that wasn't very good, was it?" )
orbitmic and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Gold
I honestly have no idea who she is. I'm assuming she's a singer and has had a hit record whose title is something about being hard on yourself, but don't really see why that would make you laugh every time.

That assumption would be correct

Old Apr 18, 18, 5:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Yes, the song is "Don't Be So Hard on Yourself" and was a number-one hit in the UK (and other countries). Amongst others, she is a winner of both a Grammy and an Ivor Novello Award.
Old Apr 18, 18, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Yes, the song is "Don't Be So Hard on Yourself" and was a number-one hit in the UK (and other countries). Amongst others, she is a winner of both a Grammy and an Ivor Novello Award.
I played the video so kindly embedded by S_W_S above and can honestly say, despite having Radio 2 on at home for most of the day every day, that I don't recall ever hearing that song before.

Although I might add that (1) it's a rather unmemorable tune, (2) it sounds like a hundred other songs and (3) I'm quite old.
Old Apr 18, 18, 6:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Although I might add that (1) it's a rather unmemorable tune, (2) it sounds like a hundred other songs and (3) I'm quite old.
She is also the most successful solo UK female singer of all time, as of 30 March 2018 when These Days got to number 1, so I suspect you are heading towards the latter options. I think the idea is that not everyone will know all the celebs, but over a given age range you should know at least one of them. There was one artist I didn't know about until this video, and it certainly wasn't Jess Glynne. [CWS, a Radio One listener]

Search this Thread