FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   New Safety Video (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1854736-new-safety-video.html)

chucko Sep 10, 2017 10:18 am

I like the Air France video from a couple of years ago:

It's the only one I've seen that warns you to call CC if you drop your smartphone into your seat, and to not "manipulate" your seat if you do.

jimmielin Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am

Originally Posted by chucko (Post 28799004)
I like the Air France video from a couple of years ago:

It's the only one I've seen that warns you to call CC if you drop your smartphone into your seat, and to not "manipulate" your seat if you do.

I vaguely recall that LATAM's safety video also calls out on not moving your seat and calling the crew if electronic devices fall into the seat gaps. This is actually pretty important so maybe airlines are gradually catching up to it now.

T8191 Sep 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by jimmielin (Post 28799124)
I vaguely recall that LATAM's safety video also calls out on not moving your seat and calling the crew if electronic devices fall into the seat gaps. This is actually pretty important so maybe airlines are gradually catching up to it now.

Something else to add to the tedium, then. Perhaps adults should take care of their essential life-extensions? ;)

IAMORGAN Sep 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 28798090)
Is this a serious question? The 'earlier' comments are made to ensure flight safe mode is enabled immediately and that larger devices are switched off and safely stowed for takeoff. At all times, when devices are not being used, they should be switched off and disconnected from the power supply.

What is contradictory about that?

Yes it is a serious question! Is it saying when not being used, my iphone should be OFF rather than just on flight mode? My understanding is it could stay in flight mode throughout the flight! The old PA used to say "when not being used in flight all electronic devices should be disconnected from the seat power supply" - they seem to have added "switched off". I genuinely wondered if there had been a rule change.

IAMORGAN Sep 10, 2017 12:21 pm

It used to be in the SCCM after takeoff announcement. I think it's to avoid damaging the Li-ion battery :-)

markle Sep 11, 2017 12:05 am

deleted

BA6501 Sep 11, 2017 12:46 am

I believe IB has that too.

arnie. Sep 11, 2017 6:09 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 28800995)
I believe IB has that too.

Also EK and QR.

South London Bon Viveur Sep 11, 2017 6:21 am

My flight to DUS last week had a manual demo, so I still haven't seen it, although interestingly the person reading the autocue for the manual demo was obviously reading a "long haul" script because there were references to "First" and "Club World" etc and life vests being either under your seat or in a panel next to you. It did also mention phones and tablets falling into seat gaps.

noubliepas Sep 11, 2017 6:29 am

Kind of related.. was told this morning that it's no longer allowed to hold an iPad or have headphones in the exit roe during take off or landing. The cabin crew waited to make sure I put everything away and folded up my headphones before walking away.

Have never had this before on BA or any other airline in fact.. Is it a new policy?

South London Bon Viveur Sep 11, 2017 6:34 am

Originally Posted by noubliepas (Post 28801676)
Kind of related.. was told this morning that it's no longer allowed to hold an iPad or have headphones in the exit roe during take off or landing. The cabin crew waited to make sure I put everything away and folded up my headphones before walking away.

Have never had this before on BA or any other airline in fact.. Is it a new policy?

It must be and if so it's one that I don't understand. I always remove headphones (as requested) for the safety briefing and pay attention to the briefing (out of courtesy if nothing else) but once that's done I am not sure what the rationale would be for removing headphones during take off and landing??

Robespierre Sep 11, 2017 7:05 am

I think it should have stayed on the BA YouTube channel...

...and not crossed over into the cabin. The Emma Bunton/David Walliams T5 Comic relief videos were just fine on the internet and this video would be great in the same place.

Having seen it for the first time this morning I agree with most who say it is too long and it is a bit uncomfortable mixing some really forced comedy and flight safety.

If you could cut it down to celebs talking heads and some simple visual gags then perhaps it could run for a bit. Alternatively Warwick and Sir Ian could do the whole thing together - they were the highlight.

Air France's video currently gets my vote for how to do it with style, warmth and in two languages....

Schwann Sep 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Saw it for the first time this morning and my god was it cringeworthy. Made me feel embarrassed for all our overseas visitors who must wonder what the hell is going on.

They could have had an opportunity to do something classy like the QF video where they're featuring different domestic destinations.

Really feel sorry for the crew who have to endure that upwards of 4 times a day. I didn't realise there would be a video more annoying than the QR FC Barcelona one. Or AA's "going for great".

florens Sep 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Saw it the first time last Friday. On our BSL-LHR leg the video didn't work and there was a manual demo. Then on the LHR-INV leg they played it.

I find it way too long, not funny and what annoys me most is to hear stuff about power sockets when I am on an A320. Surely they could have done several videos, which would be correct on the respective aircraft types.

arnie. Sep 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 28839301)
Saw it for the first time this morning and my god was it cringeworthy. Made me feel embarrassed for all our overseas visitors who must wonder what the hell is going on.

They could have had an opportunity to do something classy like the QF video where they're featuring different domestic destinations.

Really feel sorry for the crew who have to endure that upwards of 4 times a day. I didn't realise there would be a video more annoying than the QR FC Barcelona one. Or AA's "going for great".

Luckily QR have stopped the Barca one and now have a functional, fairly quick (although done in both languages) video. Hopefully they won't bring something back soon with PSG, but the 'new' BA one is certainly on a par. I simply don't get how it is so difficult for the guys who develop these to find a medium.