Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Time Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
MCT is nothing more than a carrier's willingness to accept the risks of a misconnect which, in this case, includes EC 261/2004 delay. But, OP is stuck with his TA's insistence and unless he can convince the TA otherwise, he is completely stuck. OTA's have all of these metrics on their internal systems. Agents, who are low-level and not trained in handling sophisticated issues, are trained to follow what they see on their screen. If the TA's internal system shows X, then X is the MCT.

Notwithstanding MCT, this connection is certainly outside SCT (Sensible Connection Time). If OP misconnects, he will, of course be rebooked, but that may be in a lousy seat and it may very well present OP with the truly lousy choice of waiting for the next service with J availability or accepting a rotten Y seat on the later CX service.

While the TA has certainly done OP a technical disservice, it may have done him a creature comfort service.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
MCT is nothing more than a carrier's willingness to accept the risks of a misconnect which, in this case, includes EC 261/2004 delay. But, OP is stuck with his TA's insistence and unless he can convince the TA otherwise, he is completely stuck. OTA's have all of these metrics on their internal systems. Agents, who are low-level and not trained in handling sophisticated issues, are trained to follow what they see on their screen. If the TA's internal system shows X, then X is the MCT.

Notwithstanding MCT, this connection is certainly outside SCT (Sensible Connection Time). If OP misconnects, he will, of course be rebooked, but that may be in a lousy seat and it may very well present OP with the truly lousy choice of waiting for the next service with J availability or accepting a rotten Y seat on the later CX service.

While the TA has certainly done OP a technical disservice, it may have done him a creature comfort service.
I don't understand what you are advising? The new timing was no longer MCT compliant and the TA had recognised that- it is noted in post 1.

The problem was the TA was trying to rebook the LHR-HKG flight whereas the OP much preferred to rebook the BUD-LHR instead. This seems to be the point on which the OP is struggling with the TA.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by RickyTerzis
Hi..as per my knowledge MCT is nothing more than a carrier's willingness to accept the risks of a misconnect which, in this case, includes EC 261/2004 delay. But, OP is stuck with his TA's insistence and unless he can convince the TA otherwise, he is completely stuck. OTA's have all of these metrics on their internal systems.
Welcome to FT!

You are right about MCT. Unfortunately due to the retimed arrival from BUD the connection here does fall below MCT so there is no choice but to rebook either the arriving or departing flight, it can't be left with a connection under MCT. Which of the two flights gets changed is what the OP is struggling with the TA unfortunately.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT!

You are right about MCT. Unfortunately due to the retimed arrival from BUD the connection here does fall below MCT so there is no choice but to rebook either the arriving or departing flight, it can't be left with a connection under MCT. Which of the two flights gets changed is what the OP is struggling with the TA unfortunately.

Now the TA won't action any changes without having to pay on top, this is the problem with off shore call centres, there has been things lost in translation. I asked the agent to NOT confirm the ticket but she went ahead and reissued it with the misconnect.

I guess I will just take the flight and let the airline sort it out on the day, frustrated!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by OneworldHarj
Now the TA won't action any changes without having to pay on top, this is the problem with off shore call centres, there has been things lost in translation. I asked the agent to NOT confirm the ticket but she went ahead and reissued it with the misconnect.

I guess I will just take the flight and let the airline sort it out on the day, frustrated!
Sorry to hear this. Apart from escalating it at Expedia I am not sure what else to suggest. I suspect if you can't get it sorted with the TA you won't have any luck doing any changes on the day with either BA/CX.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:35 am

If you miss the onward flight- I'm assuming CX would refer you back to the agent. I don't think they would just rebook you. It had been ticketed with a deliberate under connection which violates any rights you have. If it was the other way round- that's what the BA agents would do. Best to get it sorted before travel
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Connectionsperson
If you miss the onward flight- I'm assuming CX would refer you back to the agent. I don't think they would just rebook you. It had been ticketed with a deliberate under connection which violates any rights you have. If it was the other way round- that's what the BA agents would do. Best to get it sorted before travel

Finally got the agent to rebook it but the LHR to HKG leg, I have a lovely 6 hour wait at Heathrow to get pissed in the CX lounge and arrive later than wanted.

No more schedule changes please
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by OneworldHarj
Finally got the agent to rebook it but the LHR to HKG leg, I have a lovely 6 hour wait at Heathrow to get pissed in the CX lounge and arrive later than wanted.

No more schedule changes please
Is it a BA or CX ticket? If CX, you could have used one of the new LH Group codeshares as your feeder to a LH Group Hub (FRA/ZRH etc) and onto CX from there.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't understand what you are advising? The new timing was no longer MCT compliant and the TA had recognised that- it is noted in post 1.

The problem was the TA was trying to rebook the LHR-HKG flight whereas the OP much preferred to rebook the BUD-LHR instead. This seems to be the point on which the OP is struggling with the TA.
There was a debate upthread in which, despite the TA's insistence that the connection had fallen below MCT, that BA did not publish this as below MCT. My point was simply that OP is stuck with the TA's understanding of the MCT.

I certainly hope that OP achieved substantial savings by booking with an opaque third-party vendor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.