Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LGW runway closed (ish) [17 July 2017] - BA diversions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW runway closed (ish) [17 July 2017] - BA diversions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by flatlander
Other tyres could be damaged, or debris from the tyre could have caused additional damage to the aircraft.

You do not want a damaged tyre exploding in the aircraft, in the wheel well. This is extremely dangerous and has caused several aircraft losses.

You also do not want to discover additional damage later on, further from land, that makes the aircraft difficult or unsafe to fly.

A landing at the starting airport may well be the prudent course of action.

Also am I right in thinking the larger aircraft have the ability to dump fuel inflight and may have done so prior to landing, so landing weight would not have been an issue.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
To be fair you were not just asking a question, you went on to say why in your opinion they should have continued on.

Now I don't know what line of work you are in, but imagine someone was sat over your shoulder constantly giving an opinion on what you are doing and how you should do it despite not knowing anything about it - do you see where the frustration comes from now?

Not that Waterhorse requires any defence from me, but if you look at the "Ask the staff" thread he has answered many questions from FT'ers and provided quite a bit of education and information - so he isn't someone that could be described as unhelpful with regard to this board.
Fair enough, I can see where my original post may have appeared to suggest I thought I knew better.
I was genuinely curious about why a return was better than continuing the flight. I did not consider collateral damage from the original burst tyre.

I work in IT for one of the major suppliers of IT solutions to the airline and travel industry. Your point about people watching over my shoulder is well made ( especially when its a close relative )

I was originally surprised and upset to be called foolish, and allowed this to fuel a misguided slur against Waterhorse.

Waterhorse, please accept my apology
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question how often are tires replaced?

The CA news reported that LGW was closed for awhile as a result of this incident involving an AC Rouge flight:
http://www.citynews.ca/2017/07/17/ai...ff-at-gatwick/
I am curious what (if any) of this can be attributed to state of repair? Rouge has a dedicated fleet of re-furb 767's i.e. an older aircraft. Is there an industry standard for tire replacement?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:59 am

Sorry. I was a little testy this morning. There are many reasons why a return may be more advisable than a flight continuation. We do not know what, if any additional damage was done when the tyre blew. They are under significant pressure and can do a lot of damage to brakes, hydraulics, the undercarriage itself and can have unknown ramifications. The issue of a return in this circumstance is difficult to determine especially at this stage with such a lack of information. The modern age seems totally unable to wait for information and a rush to judgement is seldom wise.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jul 18, 2017 at 5:59 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The CA news reported that LGW was closed for awhile as a result of this incident involving an AC Rouge flight:
I am curious what (if any) of this can be attributed to state of repair? Rouge has a dedicated fleet of re-furb 767's i.e. an older aircraft. Is there an industry standard for tire replacement?
Tyres are replaced when they are worn. The pilot inspects them before flight as do the ground crew. They are inspected on a daily and weekly check and are replaced if there is any sign of wear beyond limits.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC
I read an article on the NATS internal website today with an account from one of the Supervisors on this incident. The aircraft burst a tyre on departure and the Captain was concerned about possible further damage to the aircraft so was vectored out over the coast whilst discussion took place on what debris was found on the runway. Following these discussions, the Captain elected to return to Gatwick and did so 50 minutes after departure, fuel was vented whilst holding over the sea.

On landing back at Gatwick, the aircraft suffered another tyre burst and shut down on the runway resulting in some aircraft diverting whilst the northern runway was brought into use, primarily for departing flights. However, damage was noted to this runway by several aircraft and had to be closed for inspection, more diversions resulted across the southern half of Britain but airfields were rapidly filling up and unable to accept further inbound aircraft. Following a repair and inspection, the northern runway was again brought back into service.

The main runway was repaired, inspected and brought back into use but not after a considerable amount of disruption.

I think I have remembered the sequence of events correctly but happy to be corrected if not. I was in work on the day but not in any of the control rooms, it was evident that something was up though. ATC across NATS and other units did a superb job keeping everyone who was airborne safe despite the large amount of aircraft calling PAN PAN and even MAYDAY due to fuel shortages. A lack of parking space at some airfields rendered them closed to inbound aircraft, departures were also stopped in order to concentrate on inbounds and diversions further compounding the issue.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
ATC across NATS and other units did a superb job keeping everyone who was airborne safe despite the large amount of aircraft calling PAN PAN and even MAYDAY due to fuel shortages. A lack of parking space at some airfields rendered them closed to inbound aircraft, departures were also stopped in order to concentrate on inbounds and diversions further compounding the issue.
Really interesting insight, thank you. For the uninitiated, if an aircraft declares a PAN or MAYDAY for low fuel, would this be likely to have the effect of opening up a 'full' airfield to allow them to land, or would they have to go somewhere else anyway, and what's the furthest they're likely to have to go?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Really interesting insight, thank you. For the uninitiated, if an aircraft declares a PAN or MAYDAY for low fuel, would this be likely to have the effect of opening up a 'full' airfield to allow them to land, or would they have to go somewhere else anyway, and what's the furthest they're likely to have to go?
If you gotta land you gotta land. Airfields will refuse to accept diversions based upon their ability to handle them on the ground but a MAYDAY and the intention of landing at your nearest airfield will trump that. You will sit on the ground with no support but it's always better to be on the ground wishing you were airborne than being airborne wishing you were on the ground. As to how far we will go on diversion, it is limited by the fuel carried - if it gets very quiet, you have gone too far.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Given that you were not in the flight deck and were not privy to the information that the flight crew had at the time, I think this one falls under the aphorism, "it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, rather than to open it and leave them in no doubt"
My Love, that literally made me spit hot tea. I burst out laughing- that was priceless. How often have I thought along similar lines and didn't actually have the heart to say so. I've been on such incidents so I know. LGW is a glaring example of Britain' useless airport policy years back. One government wouldn't pend to build a new runway in Tory heartlands, and the other who spent most everything and more period.

You be as testy as you like. It's refreshing. Would you like to be a Mucci or is that too frivolous a response to entertaining me?

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Jul 22, 2017 at 12:52 am
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:33 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My Love, that literally made me spit hot tea. I burst out laughing- that was priceless. How often have I thought along similar lines and didn't actually have the heart to say so. I've been on such incidents so I know. LGW is a glaring example of Britain' useless airport policy years back. One government wouldn't pend to build a new runway in Tory heartlands, and the other who spent most everything and more period.

You be as testy as you like. It's refreshing. Would you like to be a Muccimor is that too frivolous a response to entertaining me?
I try and abide by my signature line but it doesn't always seem to work

S
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by bricksoft
Fair enough, I can see where my original post may have appeared to suggest I thought I knew better.
I was genuinely curious about why a return was better than continuing the flight. I did not consider collateral damage from the original burst tyre.

I work in IT for one of the major suppliers of IT solutions to the airline and travel industry. Your point about people watching over my shoulder is well made ( especially when its a close relative )

I was originally surprised and upset to be called foolish, and allowed this to fuel a misguided slur against Waterhorse.

Waterhorse, please accept my apology
One of the issues of tyre bursts is what other damage has occured.The B767 needs to retract the gear to fly to destination.The gear may not retract properly if damage has been done,or even worse it may not subsequently extend at the end of the flight.Better to leave it where it is,dump fuel and return and let the engineers sort it out.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Can 26R/08L handle all aircraft types landing at LGW including the larger ones?

I know there have been several diversions today, just wondering if they were all due to capacity or if some were because the aircraft cannot safely land on the shorter runway? (I haven't checked what was/wasn't diverted.)
Landings are less restricted by runway length than takeoffs are. At 8415', any commercial airliner can land on Gatwick's second runway.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The average age of the Rouge 767 fleet is 19.2 years, with some of the aircraft being 2003 builds from Hawaiian. They aren't particularly old and are well maintained. Plus, tires are replaced when worn. Aircraft sometimes have tire blow outs, just like on cars. There are myriad reasons why.

In fact, Air Canada's mainline 767s are significantly older than the Rouge aircraft, an average of over 27 years old - all of which having flown for Canadian before AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.