Wiki Posts
Search

AA MilesAAver Award Not Bookable w/Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Smile AA MilesAAver Award Not Bookable w/Avios

Hello! I am trying to book a flight from Zurich to New York on which AA is showing MileSAAver space available in J. However, when I go to the BA or Iberia websites and call their US call centers, it doesn't seem to exist. Any reason why this flight wouldn't be bookable? It's for a month out, so it's not a last-minute glitch type issue. Thanks for any ideas or help you may be willing to share
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:08 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
What date are you looking at?

I see MileSAAver availability on AA.com for ZRH-JFK on 14/08, 17/08, 18/08, 19/08, 21/08, 25/05.
I see the same availability on BA.com for award seats on those AA flights.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Hi Nux! I was searching for August 13 and was seeing a result on AA when I searched LHR-JFK via ZRH, however I didn't realize there was an overnight layover pushing the ZRH-JFK segment until the following day (8/14!). That explains it - so sorry for my oversight and thank you SO MUCH for your help!

Quick question -the taxes and fees for 2 passengers quoted on BA is $540.00...is there anyway to avoid whatever these high surcharges are? AA is $5.60 per person...is this profit for BA? Seems like a scheme.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by am13
Quick question -the taxes and fees for 2 passengers quoted on BA is $540.00...is there anyway to avoid whatever these high surcharges are? AA is $5.60 per person...is this profit for BA? Seems like a scheme.
Part of the cost is UK APD which would also apply when booked through AA, so the cost of this itinerary on AA will not be $5.60 but more like $210.

However more than half will be YQ which BA applies on redemption tickets, AA does not. No way to avoid this except booking with AA miles.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There is no APD if the guy is passing through without a 25 hour stopover. BA is pocketing all the extra $535.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I hope no one minds me butting in here but I have a question regarding AA redemption and I am trying not to start a new thread.

I am looking to use my AVIOS to book a seat MCO-(stop)-HNL return in First or Biz (not sure what they call it now) but I can find zero availability on BA.com. I look at AA.com and click redeem and I can see some availability but I am not sure what fare class I should look at. Does it have to be under the "First/Biz MilesAAver" bucket or as I have clicked redeem any bucket is ok. I have never redeemed with AA before. I am look for any dates in OCT or NOV 2017.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eddy67
I hope no one minds me butting in here but I have a question regarding AA redemption and I am trying not to start a new thread.

I am looking to use my AVIOS to book a seat MCO-(stop)-HNL return in First or Biz (not sure what they call it now) but I can find zero availability on BA.com. I look at AA.com and click redeem and I can see some availability but I am not sure what fare class I should look at. Does it have to be under the "First/Biz MilesAAver" bucket or as I have clicked redeem any bucket is ok. I have never redeemed with AA before. I am look for any dates in OCT or NOV 2017.

Thanks in advance.
MileSAAver only.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:22 am

If you are looking on ba.com, you should search each leg separately. You won't get any results for MCO-HNL.

When/if you find what you want then call to book on a single itinerary (if that's what you want).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
There is no APD if the guy is passing through without a 25 hour stopover. BA is pocketing all the extra $535.
Exactly what I thought. Wow, that is RIDICULOUS. They don't do that on AA domestic awards...perhaps this is just on routes they also operate so as to discourage people from choosing AA > BA when they're both available due to the difference in YQ?

Was it always like that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.