Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is BA reducing BHD flights from the Winter schedule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA reducing BHD flights from the Winter schedule?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:05 am
ECR

Originally Posted by memesweeper
On the extremely unscientific basis of the evidence of yesterday’s flight I was on, I can’t believe the route isn’t doing well – it was rammed LHR - BHD. Not a single seat free anywhere. What will happen with fewer flights if everything is already selling out?
It was mentioned on the LBA thread about BA reducing the A319 fleet and also about densification. If the flight reduction is permanent then some of the capacity may be filled by using A320s more, and by cramming more seats onto the planes.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ECR
It was mentioned on the LBA thread about BA reducing the A319 fleet and also about densification. If the flight reduction is permanent then some of the capacity may be filled by using A320s more, and by cramming more seats onto the planes.
Can a full A320-size take off from BHD? Isn't this why FR fell out with them? (Forgive me if I'm making this up completely but I'm sure I remember something about trim on a full 738.)

Originally Posted by memesweeper
On the extremely unscientific basis of the evidence of yesterday’s flight I was on, I can’t believe the route isn’t doing well – it was rammed LHR - BHD. Not a single seat free anywhere. What will happen with fewer flights if everything is already selling out?
Unless you asked every passenger how much they paid then this tells us nothing. I could fill every flight on BA's network ten times over if I were allowed to set the price. And unless we know BA's network options then we don't know whether another route could make more money from a very constrained LHR.

A little facetious, of course... BA does make a killing from a lot of domestic flights. My point though is that there's more to it than just mere loads.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Can a full A320-size take off from BHD? Isn't this why FR fell out with them? (Forgive me if I'm making this up completely but I'm sure I remember something about trim on a full 738.)
Yes, and usually fine for an A321 unless completely full and in wet conditions when it can become an issue so I was told by some BA pilots last time I was at BHD.

I get the impression that the 738s are not as good in terms of performance on shorter runway takeoffs and landings as the airbus, but that is really from causal observation so it may be mistaken.

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 22, 2017 at 7:11 am
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can someone please remove the apostrophe from the title. It's really bugging me. Thanks.
In line with the current zeitgeist, the whole word, apostrophe and all, has been enhanced away.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by KARFA
I get the impression that the 738s are not as good in terms of shorter runway takeoffs and landings as the airbus, but that is really from causal observation so it may be mistaken.
If I recall the FR debacle correctly, they wanted the runway extended so that they could fly the 738s out of there fully gassed-up to be able for longer EU routes. Obviously weight is weight, but I hadn't thought there was as much of an issue with pax loads as with fuel.

better without FR at BHD anyway!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
If I recall the FR debacle correctly, they wanted the runway extended so that they could fly the 738s out of there fully gassed-up to be able for longer EU routes. Obviously weight is weight, but I hadn't thought there was as much of an issue with pax loads as with fuel.

Thanks - and to KARFA too. Glad both that I'm not going (completely) mad and that A320s are ok.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Thanks - and to KARFA too. Glad both that I'm not going (completely) mad and that A320s are ok.
I think EI have had the odd fuel diversion on AGP/ACE/FAO wIth strong headwinds in play on longer routes as there's a limit to what an A320 can lift off that runway on a wet day (most days), but no problems on domestics. BD A321s were limited and trim was an issue but A320s ok.

FR were wanting 189 seat 738s to go to the Med which just wasn't possible. They also had 4 rows blocked i.e. 24 seats, on domestic routes due to the derating on their engines.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bd95
due to the derating on their engines.
Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean?
I'm sure somebody who knows more about aircraft than I do will be along shortly, but my understanding is that derating involves limiting the engine to less than its theoretical maximum thrust setting in order to reduce wear, maintenance and cost.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes so engines are usually de-rated to preserve engine life and ensure equal thrust when constantly swapping engines on aircraft. From memory 737s are usually derated to 26k but perhaps FR has derated theirs to 24k? These derates are fixed to the extent the pilots can't change them, although they can be changed by changing various bits of hardware.

In additional the pilots can chose from specific set take off derates of around 10/20% on the flight computer, these can be easily added and taken off depending on performance requirements.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader

Knowing FR, it was probably some sort of ruse to get cheaper landing charges - your runway is short in length = we want charges small in cost. They would've known well that a runway extension was not likely.

Hope you're liking the 'smaller' fares you're missing out on. . I love paying extra myself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.