Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Dselvan

Update: Landed at 2310, 20 mins taxi and at gate 2330.
Since we were in World traveller (first time in over 15 years), so took a while to deplane.
5 minutes walk from gate to passport control with the other half in tow😜
Not all the bank counters were open and each had less than 10 people in line. However since we had evisa, walked straight through to passport control and we were third in line and through with no issues in a few minutes.
So evisa probably saved me about 10 mins and another page on my passport, which was more important.
so was definitely worth it for me to get Evisa.
With the Egypt eVisa you have, was your passport stamped or a sticker added for entry and exit of Egypt or no stamp was put on the passport?
Old May 8, 2018, 2:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by anabolism
Was this a 787 plane? I checked EF for the next couple of days, and I see it operated by a 787 that perhaps is configured with a first cabin but both forward cabins are sold as J. Seat map for tomorrow shows a number of what I guess are F seats occupied:

Yes it was a 787, and the seatmap does indicate that the F-section is opened. If you are on this flight, you are lucky to be able to select the F-seats with J service.

Cheers!
Old May 8, 2018, 7:07 am

Just thought I'd add a few comments, nothing new, just to reaffirm for future travellers

Trip was on BA155 4-May and back on BA154 5-May G-ZBKM, with numerous folks - I counted at least 7 of us - doing the same thing....and hello PleasureFlyer, nice to chat.

BA helpfully txtd with a reminder of laptop/peripheral/power bank rules, unfortunately during taxi out at LHR.

$25 visa took around 30sec to buy on arrival

On positioning flight months ago out we couldn't work out how to get to Le Meridien via the T3 bridge so walked. This time, as had checked luggage after 2 weeks in Hawaii, I emailed to ask best way and they sent a man and a van. They were helpful and deserved a $ or two.

Laptop, iPad and Kindle all just put in suitcase padded with clothes, nothing special and raised no issues. Some people were bubble/shrink-wrapping theirs.

My powerbank exceeded the sizing limits by 0.5cm in width and was, correctly, identified in my hold luggage at the very first screening. And thrown away....into the operatives lap, with a wide smile.....hey ho. At the gate where hand luggage is checked, they found my laptop charger which I'd forgotten and gate checked it, very swift.

In the 'normal' lounge (the one the BA invite gets you to) I did sample some of the non-veg food, it was hardly inspiring but I have not been harmed!

On board, B789 with F empty. I used the F bathroom as there was a queue for the J. On exiting, I got the death stare from the CSM, but no words. Unfortunately the next user appeared to get a flea in his ear. (Sorry!)

The English Breakfast wasn't a good choice, but I did think the older guys serving (Egyptian?) were excellent. Maybe they used to work for Qatar! I cannot recall the last time on BA that I was proactively asked multiple times if I'd like more drinks and they didn't give up asking even after my wife drank the plane out of Decaf Earl Grey.

I think CAI is a good choice for trips, I am an amateur compared to others we met, but it seems that BA may be more likely to hold the plane at LHR for connections, perhaps because it's dormant once at CAI for 8 hours until the next morning.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
With the Egypt eVisa you have, was your passport stamped or a sticker added for entry and exit of Egypt or no stamp was put on the passport?
You hand a copy of your printed e-visa and they stamp your passport with the entry stamp- no stickers. You get an exit stamp when you leave.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
It was in fact stocked, and I am sure that the crew are using it, so really still don't see why they don't let pax to use it as during "rush" time, the toilets in J had some wait time.

Ahh... good to know.. no wonder I was like did I hear the normal CSD to be CSM...

Haha.. indeed, we were on the same flight and I was on the A/B side in the smaller fwd cabin. Yes, your side was served by the CSM and the (larger) older gentleman who indeed was much friendlier (the same on my side, the older (smaller) gentleman was also the more friendly one. I however broke my trip to return to AMS (mainly to avoid the possible questioning upon arrival in the US and to use the LCY service to JFK).

Cheers!
Yep, we we also in the mini cabin on the other side. Unlike you we went straight to DFW from LHR and had the dreaded SSSS and has special questioning by a lady in a suit in LHR for 25 mins and then a full interview for 20 mins at DFW with a border control agent in an interview room!!! It was all done in a friendly manner and they are aware of lots of people doing ex-CAI but guess they still have to do their job.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Yes it was a 787, and the seatmap does indicate that the F-section is opened. If you are on this flight, you are lucky to be able to select the F-seats with J service.
We're booked in J for early next year, EF shows it's a mid-haul config A321 (staggered 1-2/2-1 seats). I suppose the J seats are better than CW, but it would have been nice to have been able to pick an F seat with J service.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
My powerbank exceeded the sizing limits by 0.5cm in width and was, correctly, identified in my hold luggage at the very first screening. And thrown away....into the operatives lap, with a wide smile.....hey ho. At the gate where hand luggage is checked, they found my laptop charger which I'd forgotten and gate checked it, very swift.
I read in another post in a related forum that BA was mailing batteries to the owners, but likely they stopped it.

At the gate, when they found your laptop charger, did you check it by itself? Did BA have boxes for this?

Last edited by anabolism; May 9, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 4:13 pm

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask. I'll be flying U.S.-DOH-CAI-LHR-DOH-Australia. I'll have an overnight in DOH both ways, and two nights in CAI. For CAI-LHR-DOH, I have exactly two hours in LHR between scheduled arrival into T5 and scheduled departure from T4 (on QR). Because of the relatively short connection in LHR, I'm thinking it might be risky to bring my laptop and iPad to CAI and have to short-check it on BA to LHR, retrieve it in T5, make my way to T4, etc. I was cautioned that QR won't short-check bags LHR-DOH since it's under 24 hours. I'm thinking the best course might be to leave one suitcase in DOH with the laptop, iPad, and whatever else I won't need in CAI. Do people agree this is better than trying to check to LHR and retrieve there? Any tips on leaving the (soft-side) suitcase with the hotel in DOH? Should I lock it (I don't usually lock suitcases, on the theory that it just advertises that there's something of value inside, and baggage handlers can pop the zipper in seconds anyway)?
Old May 9, 2018, 4:52 pm

At the gate, when they found your laptop charger, did you check it by itself? Did BA have boxes for this?
The bag searcher called someone else over and they asked me to go and wait by a separate table - the 'naughty table' I expect it's called - while they called via intercom for a bag tag. When this arrived, the guy suggested that it would be easier to handle in a bag, so I emptied my backpack of anything remotely valuable and they checked that. I didn't see any boxes but that doesn't mean they don't have any. Everyone was very polite and they are probably used to being shouted at, I just smiled and apologised.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Back in CAI right now, I have this to say about the lounges;

If you have priority pass, go to the Pearl lounge. It's on the 2nd floor next to the mcdonalds and a decent lounge with good food (and free red bulls).

Otherwise, don't bother with the lounge BA gives you access to. It's so bad you'll regret going, plus you have to exit security for some reason....
nldogbert and kwisstan like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by no2chem

If you have priority pass, go to the Pearl lounge. It's on the 2nd floor next to the mcdonalds and a decent lounge with good food (and free red bulls).

Otherwise, don't bother with the lounge BA gives you access to. It's so bad you'll regret going, plus you have to exit security for some reason....
BA now listing the Pearl Lounge as the lounge to use on my CAI - KOA booking.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
... I'll be flying U.S.-DOH-CAI-LHR-DOH-Australia...

I'm guessing you're doing -DOH-xxx-CAI-

Just wondered which xxx they are routing you through.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
Pearl Lounge also on Lounge Key. Is it new?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by no2chem

Its all about expectation. If you are going in expecting Cathay Pacific or Qatar Airways style lounge, you will sorely be disappointed. When we were there in May 2018, at that time of the morning flying with BA, all we needed was a place to sit and some coffee, which surprisingly was available from the self service coffee machine which was actually ok. The food available was so and so but the toilets were acceptable. The security screening coming out of the lounge took 30 seconds and was pretty much useless. So don't completely discount this lounge it but keep your expectation low.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Hand on heart, never waited longer than a couple of minutes to buy a visa at Cairo. You can change money at the same time / in the same transaction.

If you wanted to save those few minutes, you could stock up on visa stickers on your next visit.

Until the e-visa application becomes less cumbersome, less of an almighty faff, I'll stick to the stickers. You can get two to a page if you manage the stamping efficiently

And Brexit is likely to invalidate my passport before Egypt fills it with stickers ....
What is cumbersome about it? I just did it for myself and foster son and it was a pretty quick and easy activity

It saves me from having to go to bank and get $50 USD per entry to pay the required entry fee in cash and paying cost of currency conversion

The length of time to apply was less time than it took to get stamps last time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.