Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tier Points on Qantas flight operated by Emirates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi there!

In the past I have not had an issue earing BAEC avios and tier points on Qantas Flights, even when some legs are operated by Emirates (QF flight number).

A typical flight for me to Sydney might go out via Perth (on Qantas metal) , but then come back via Dubai (on Emirates metal) as I like those flight times.

My recent (November) flight the return Avios and Tier points have not been credited. Qantas keep rejecting by Tier point request (made through the BA website).

The ticket is entirely booked and ticketed through Qantas not Emirates and as above has QF code share flight numbers (QF8415 Operated by EK0415 and QF8003 Operated by EK0003)

In terms of eligibility, BA web site says:

QANTAS
  • Included: Qantas, QantasLink and Jetconnect (QF).
  • Minimum Avios: no minimum.
  • Avios tier bonus? No.
  • Collect Tier Points? Yes (discount economy flights may earn fewer Tier Points depending on the fare purchased).
Executive Club Members can collect Avios on:
  • Flights marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates under the QF designated code.
  • Flights marketed by Qantas but operated by Jetstar booked as oneworld fare in L class only.
  • Flights marketed by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates and operated by Qantas, a Qantas affiliate, BA, another oneworld carrier, or another third party under a codeshare agreement.
But then elsewhere BA also says:

Codeshare flightsA codeshare flight is where two or more airlines share the same flight. It's operated by one airline under their own code and has additional flight numbers under the codes of other airlines. For example, the British Airways flight BA219 also operates under the American Airlines code AA6170.

Whether you collect Avios and Tier Points depends on the airline flight number on your ticket:
  • If your flight code is British Airways, you’ll collect Avios and Tier Points no matter who operates the flight.
  • If your flight code is for a oneworld airline, you’ll collect Avios only if your flight is also operated by a oneworld airline.
  • For other flight codes, you won’t collect Avios.
The amount you earn is determined by the airline code you booked under.

My question then is has something changed?

Certainly I have NOT had this issue in the past and have earned both Avios AND Tier points on this leg.

Many thanks for your collective wisdom in this!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:18 am
Original Poster

According to Head For Points..

You can keep earning Avios and BA tier points on Emirates as the Qantas JV is extended.

The reason for this is that Emirates has a codeshare deal on many routes with Qantas.

Qantas is the only oneworld airline where you earn Avios and BA tier points if you travel on a codeshare flight operated by a non-oneworld airline.

On Monday, Emirates and Qantas announced that they have extended their codeshare deal for another five years – click here to read more. This means that you can continue earning Avios on selected Emirates flights until at least March 2028.

Last edited by aks120; Jan 5, 2024 at 12:08 pm Reason: Changed font size and removed external links
Old Jan 6, 2024, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Can someone please advise best way I can chase this with BAEC. Or has policy changed?
Old Jan 6, 2024, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I assume you are claiming on the partner airlines page for missing Avios and have entered the ticket number as well as the QF flight numbers?

I also assume the flight class is eligible to earn TP and Avios and not like theP Class issue that affected Cathay Pacific flights until recently?

What reason does Qantas give for the rejection?

I would probably make a complaint via the BA website and attach sca s of your boarding passes and mention that Qantas keep incorrectly rejecting the claim.

I'd also mention how many TP and Avios you are expecting to be credited.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

Yes all booked through qantas using baec number, im not a qantas ff member sobits not using wrong number or scheme. Baec number on paper ticket. Qantas ticket numbers provided through partner claim.

Shows as rejected on BA website but no reason given or emailed notification of rejection or reason.

Speaking to exec club they are confused about the policy it seems. And website as said in OP contradicts itself.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 5:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
No change in policy as far as I know, last time
I flew this way it posted automatically however that was before BA changed the way they award avios etc which has broken quite a few airlines posting to BAEC. Think you might have to persist with it or send a PM to BAMissingAvios if all else fails!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the QF fare booking class? Look at the earning rate in the BAEC web site.
BA thread-->Does Qantas E class earn nothing in BAEC? Is this deliberate?
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

It was business class. I really wouldn't bother if this were economy but 300 tier point is a chunk of my gold renewal in 2024. As far as I know there aren't any excluded fare codes for business.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 3:20 am

I am having the same issue with Qantas operated by Emirates. Booked SIN-MEL, Fare D through Qantas and rejected through partner claims.
BA Exec club have not been helpful, my tier points collect year ends today and I'm 140 points short of gold still so very frustrating..
Old Jan 8, 2024, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fw21
I am having the same issue with Qantas operated by Emirates. Booked SIN-MEL, Fare D through Qantas and rejected through partner claims.
BA Exec club have not been helpful, my tier points collect year ends today and I'm 140 points short of gold still so very frustrating..
I'll let you know if I get anywhere... fingers crossed!
Old Jan 30, 2024, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Just by way of update. I am still chasing this. Painful process... be good to hear if anyone has been sucessful recently in chasing missing Tier points for Qantas Ticketed Emirates segments.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:32 pm

No response from BA. 2 claims rejected, not expecting much..
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:09 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
I had to do this last year - they seem to have stopped posting them automatically. I’d try a manual web form rather than using the mileage claim portal to be honest.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DidgeryDub
Just by way of update. I am still chasing this. Painful process... be good to hear if anyone has been sucessful recently in chasing missing Tier points for Qantas Ticketed Emirates segments.
Were they QF flight numbers?
QF ticketed is different.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:59 am

mine were

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.