Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:09 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Thanks - could be useful. There are several purported "Meet and Assist" - is this the one you used?

https://capsegypt.com/p/services

I just want to be sure I'm paying for the right one.
No!

Book here http://www.cairo-airport.com/service..._servicese.asp

It's called Ahlan Exclusive Service

Last edited by m0hamed; Sep 25, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Hi all, just a quick question of how are you handling the laptop ban CAI-LHR? I assume it is still in effect? What do you guys do, do you put the laptop at your checked luggage, lock them, wrap the luggage, or gate check it and how? How do you wrap it/lock it/when? Please be as detailed as you can to see what my options are, and only ex-CAI BA-related feedback please. I have seen a related thread but it is not specific and it is mostly IST focused.

This is so ridiculous.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by nk15
Hi all, just a quick question of how are you handling the laptop ban CAI-LHR? I assume it is still in effect? What do you guys do, do you put the laptop at your checked luggage, lock them, wrap the luggage, or gate check it and how? How do you wrap it/lock it/when? Please be as detailed as you can to see what my options are, and only ex-CAI BA-related feedback please. I have seen a related thread but it is not specific and it is mostly IST focused.

This is so ridiculous.
No gate-checking in CAI. Just put it in the hold like all others, iPads are banned as well, and so are chargers, so everything should go in your check-in luggage.

There is a gate security that goes through your hand luggage and if they find something non-compliant it gets thrown away (unless you decide not to fly of course).
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
No gate-checking in CAI. Just put it in the hold like all others, iPads are banned as well, and so are chargers, so everything should go in your check-in luggage.

There is a gate security that goes through your hand luggage and if they find something non-compliant it gets thrown away (unless you decide not to fly of course).
Thanks, do you lock or shrink wrap the checked in luggage? Is there a point that the laptop needs to be turned on for inspection, do they open the bags? How do you protect or hide the laptop in the bag? Does the priority tag on the bag make it a target for baggage handler theft, do you ask not to put it on it? Does by any chance BA have their own handlers in CAI? (yea, right...)?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Thanks, do you lock or shrink wrap the checked in luggage? Is there a point that the laptop needs to be turned on for inspection, do they open the bags? How do you protect or hide the laptop in the bag? Does the priority tag on the bag make it a target for baggage handler theft, do you ask not to put it on it? Does by any chance BA have their own handlers in CAI? (yea, right...)?
One by one:
do you lock or shrink wrap the checked in luggage?
No, never have and never will

Is there a point that the laptop needs to be turned on for inspection, do they open the bags?
No, turn it off and put it in the bag. I travelled to Cairo about 5 times on BA so far, with 4 more booked. In my experience they don't open the bag (unless they have the TSA key needed to open my lock - also my items were never disturbed and believe me they would have hard time closing the bag as I live off my hand-luggage so it's packed to the brim.)

How do you protect or hide the laptop in the bag? It's between the clothes, together with my ipad, external batteries, and chargers.

Does the priority tag on the bag make it a target for baggage handler theft, do you ask not to put it on it?
I only have the 'Remove before flight' on my bags, never had issues with theft, tbh Egypt is a great country and I would be more afraid of theft in places like JFK.

Does by any chance BA have their own handlers in CAI? (yea, right...)? Don't think so, but they have their own security team at gate.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, thanks, it sounds that you still lock the bag though, I will also do it, I have a small TSA lock and will use it, they should be able to open it if needed, but at least it may deter any theft of opportunity, although it sounds safe in general.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was indeed pretty smooth and safe, but you should have seen the expressions of people at the check in counter learning about the electronics ban for the fist time... They were checking purses, laptop briefcases, etc. One guy was like can I keep my book and my glasses (and whatever is left from my dignity)? It was hilarious to see purses on the luggage carousel on arrival, lol...
Old May 2, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
hi nufnuf77
Please can you change the wiki to add the e-visa option?
Easy enough to do although the website is a bit clunky. Same price of $25 per person for single entry or $60 for multiple (not worth since more expensive).
I did it recently since not lot of space left in my passport and wanted to keep it for while longer.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Dselvan
hi nufnuf77
Easy enough to do although the website is a bit clunky. Same price of $25 per person for single entry or $60 for multiple (not worth since more expensive).
I did it recently since not lot of space left in my passport and wanted to keep it for while longer.
Do they still stamp your passport if you use the e-visa option? So you just save a bit of space by not using the sticker?
Old May 2, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Airprox
Do they still stamp your passport if you use the e-visa option? So you just save a bit of space by not using the sticker?
I believe that is what happens. I will tell you after next week when we get through for the first time!! The visa stickers are quite big from what I have seen and almost take half a page, so e-visas do save a bit of space and possibly quicker since we don't have to go and get the stickers from the booth since we can walk straight to immigration.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dselvan
hi nufnuf77
Is this the correct web site: https://visa2egypt.gov.eg ?

An e-visa sounds great, as it saves time (no need to wait at the visa on arrival counter) and space (no need for the big sticker taking up so much space in the passport).
Old May 3, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL

This is so ridiculous.
I switched off my Macbook Air and Nintendo Switch, popped them into hand luggage wheelie and checked it in.

I explicitly asked to collect the bag at LHR though, not at my JFK destination. That was no problem.

Other CAI advice: don't bother with the lounge, it's terrible and adds yet another security check point (to the other three you'll have to do).

Boarding area is blocked off for the sake of individual search (men and women separately), so arrive early.

Yesterday's 08:00 scheduled boarding at 07:00. It probably began at 07:20 in reality. But you'll want to be at the gate about an hour prior to departure IMO.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:54 pm

PS. As I experienced a red flag - it involved Homeland Security interview at LHR, followed by JFK interview special, thread here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1907401-homeland-security-interview-after-cai-lhr-before-allowing-lhr-jfk-4.html#post29713181 - if you intend to travel to the US from CAI then some are advising to avoid short connection times. You may well miss them due to the security protocol. Which is fair, I s'pose, seeing as Egypt is on the US banned list.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:02 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks

Other CAI advice: don't bother with the lounge, it's terrible and adds yet another security check point (to the other three you'll have to do).
I don't know how you came to this conclusion? The lounges at Terminal 2 are new and are a great hard product. I wouldn't eat the food but the lounges are great. They are in the same style as the Ahlan Exclusive Lounges which I posted here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28918945-post61.html
Old May 3, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I don't know how you came to this conclusion? The lounges at Terminal 2 are new and are a great hard product. I wouldn't eat the food but the lounges are great. They are in the same style as the Ahlan Exclusive Lounges which I posted here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28918945-post61.html
Deeeefinitely not the lounge I was directed to!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.