Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks nufnuf ​​​​​​- really useful thread! Will be doing this in January and feel calmer about it already ^

Quick Q re: visas - in doing an ex CAI run I imagine most people are by definition needing more than a single entry visa? Or does it last for a certain duration? We're flying into CAI before our trip to HNL and again on the return. Staying overnight both times I assume we would need a multi entry visa?

Thanks again for setting up the thread
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:39 pm

I landed in CAI in early June on a BA flight and am sure we arrived at T-1. Has that changed now to T-2?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by puchong
I landed in CAI in early June on a BA flight and am sure we arrived at T-1. Has that changed now to T-2?
Yes, see here BA to move to new Terminal 2 at Cairo
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:13 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
You do realise there is a monorail between terminals including T2/T3 and the LM?

Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by m0hamed
You do realise there is a monorail between terminals including T2/T3 and the LM?
I don't think the monorail would be very useful in getting from T2/T3 to the LM. Are there any secret stops I'm not aware of?

From the hotel, there's a shuttle leaving at :00 and :30. You can probably also call for pick-up.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:53 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jpdx
I don't think the monorail would be very useful in getting from T2/T3 to the LM. Are there any secret stops I'm not aware of?

From the hotel, there's a shuttle leaving at :00 and :30. You can probably also call for pick-up.
I meant take the monorail from T2 to T3 and you just walk to the LM from there.

The hotel also offers pickup on arrive and drop off. We've never been charged for this but we didn't use the shuttle, it was a private car.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed

Cairo Airport Automated People Mover(The First of its Kind in the Middle East & Africa) - YouTube
As far as I am aware the last stop of monorail is T2&3. There is no monorail between 2 and 3, or between T2&3 station and LM.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
...for those who don't have Starwood points and baulk at USD150+ for an overnight stay, there's an airport Novotel for well under half that rate. A free pick-up and drop-off can be arranged (you can get across the car parks to it, but it's a bit of a hike and not recommended).
Do Novotel offer a meet & greet to whisk you through immigration? Either way definitely a preferable option for those of us with Accor but not SPG status given much better value - thanks ^
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by DocS
Do Novotel offer a meet & greet to whisk you through immigration? Either way definitely a preferable option for those of us with Accor but not SPG status given much better value - thanks ^
yes novotel do but it needs to be booked and confirmed 48 hours before I've done it twice now and works well
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by haroon145
yes novotel do but it needs to be booked and confirmed 48 hours before I've done it twice now and works well
Great - thanks haroon ​​​​​​- is there a fee?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by haroon145
Also interested as I'm staying at the Novotel at both ends of my trip.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jamier45
Also interested as I'm staying at the Novotel at both ends of my trip.
How much cheaper is the Novotel. I can ping you some very cheap rates at Le meridien
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
How much cheaper is the Novotel. I can ping you some very cheap rates at Le meridien
Novotel's $50 upwards - count on $55 to $65. Certainly not as plush as LM, but comfortable enough, and fine for an overnight.

LM's handier - especially if you arriving at T3; but Novotel does a pick-up for free, for a 5 minute drive round the car parks to the hotel.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Novotel's $50 upwards - count on $55 to $65. Certainly not as plush as LM, but comfortable enough, and fine for an overnight.

LM's handier - especially if you arriving at T3; but Novotel does a pick-up for free, for a 5 minute drive round the car parks to the hotel.
Good to know about the Novotel. However, the SPG Platinum benefit recognition at CAI is so good I would not switch even if half priced.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by DocS
Yes they do, and there's no charge. Of course you need to to let them know arrival times, though I called them from Heathrow and it worked.

(But me being me, and Egypt being Egypt, I'm be likely to call them from Heathrow anyway just to remind them )

I was surprised the driver was waiting for me pre-immigration, rather than at the curb, but i think he's adding value for the odd tip or two. Though now we are out of the zoo that was T1, arrivals are pretty much straight-forward, and I' not sure shepherding through the system is necessary even for beginners ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.