Wiki Posts
Search

Price fluctuations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Price fluctuations

Afternoon fellow FTers, I'm currently looking at making an ex-UK to New York over Christmas with car hire to take advantage of being able to pay the balance over the next few months. I found CW flights departing from Dublin to JFK (via LHR) on 28th Dec, returning on 2nd for around £1,100 each. I looked again earlier today and the price has gone up to over £1,600 each.

I've looked at the usual Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin etc. starting points and the prices are all much more expensive. Does anyone know why the prices are so different all of a sudden? Can anyone recommend any other clever routings we could look at to find a similar price? Thanks in advance
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
To play devil's advocate somewhat: I'd wait, at least for a bit.

I've flown over similar periods for the last few years when BA has thrown a sale on because business travel typically evaporates over such periods.

Did "2 for £2016" in business LHR-YUL (Montreal), which at £1008pp return was very good value for the 2015-16 promotion.

Last year (2016-17) flew in business LHR-IAD (Washington) over a similar period at a similar price (around £1,200pp IIRC) - even upgraded to First on the return leg using Avios (no extra cash cost at all).

Book in a cancellable car hire now. Save cash month on month. But I think you'll be able to get a better deal in time. No guarantee, of course, as we're in a new world of BA, but that'd be my play.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Keep looking - I've just booked my December trip to NYC so BA are bound to have a sale now !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.