Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Quick (urgent) question on adding friend to an account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.

Son has just missed a flight (not his fault and airline won't help - not BA).
So I can see redemption availability for him and the friend he is travelling with. But friend is not on my HHA and I want to know if my son can add a friend to his directly to his account? So bypassing the HHA.
Practically impossible for me to due because I am at an all day event with no access to decent technology.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Son has just missed a flight (not his fault and airline won't help - not BA).
So I can see redemption availability for him and the friend he is travelling with. But friend is not on my HHA and I want to know if my son can add a friend to his directly to his account? So bypassing the HHA.
Practically impossible for me to due because I am at an all day event with no access to decent technology.
Is it a BA issued ticket? If so try the call centre. They are extremely useful in these things.

Anyways, it is the head of household who add and remove accounts. Does the friend has a BAEC account? If not then he will need to create one and you need to add him?

Remember if the friend is under 18 then someone will have to open the account for him. It can't be done by self.

I may be wrong but experts will confirm that!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Thanks, not a BA ticket.

Will the BAEC add someone immediately if I call them? Or can they add someone to an Avios booking without them being a BAEC member?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Thanks, not a BA ticket.

Will the BAEC add someone immediately if I call them? Or can they add someone to an Avios booking without them being a BAEC member?
I suppose you can add the friend under HHA online?

No you can't redeem flights for anyone outside the HHA or friends and family list.

With a standalone account you can redeem for anyone.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:08 am

If you have a household account set up, you can only make redemption bookings for people listed on said household account (if they live at the same address as you) or listed on a Friends and Family account (if they live at a different address to you).

It's easy to add someone to a Friends and Family account. All you need is their date of birth and email address to send an invite to them. Once they accept the invitation you will then be able to redeem flights. The call centre cannot bypass this step unfortunately.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by papagayo
If you have a household account set up, you can only make redemption bookings for people listed on said household account (if they live at the same address as you) or listed on a Friends and Family account (if they live at a different address to you).

It's easy to add someone to a Friends and Family account. All you need is their date of birth and email address to send an invite to them. Once they accept the invitation you will then be able to redeem flights. The call centre cannot bypass this step unfortunately.
Am a bit confused, so please clarify if my understanding is correct. I have a HHA (me & hubby) and I can redeem HHA avios for me and/or hubby. I would like to add my sister (living in Canada) and my niece (living in Australia) to my Family & Friends list. I read the FAQ in BA website for this list - I will need their full names (as appeared in passports, their email address and date of birth). Q - Once they are accepted into the list, I can then use avios to redeem award flights for them (with or without me flying). Which avios will be used - my avios, or HHA avios?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by A1pax
Am a bit confused, so please clarify if my understanding is correct. I have a HHA (me & hubby) and I can redeem HHA avios for me and/or hubby. I would like to add my sister (living in Canada) and my niece (living in Australia) to my Family & Friends list. I read the FAQ in BA website for this list - I will need their full names (as appeared in passports, their email address and date of birth). Q - Once they are accepted into the list, I can then use avios to redeem award flights for them (with or without me flying). Which avios will be used - my avios, or HHA avios?

The difference is two fold - once in terms of eligibility (those in HHAs need to reside at the same address) and once in terms of avios usage - HHA members have their avios pooled, friends and family do not.

Bit I am not sure about is whose avios get used with F&F booking, just yours or HHA's pro rata to earnings as usual.

Someone will be along to clarify that!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
(...) Q - Once they are accepted into the list, I can then use avios to redeem award flights for them (with or without me flying). Which avios will be used - my avios, or HHA avios?

HHA avios. When you have a HHA the avios will always come out from each member's account, proportionally to how many of them they have.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

As explained by Lefly the avios will come from the members of the HHA (in your case, both you and your hubby's avios balances will decrease). See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-accounts.html
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:25 pm

Thank you, FrancisA, Lefly and jerry a. laska, for your replies - much appreciated, particularly the guide link referred to by jerry a. laska.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Changes to the F&F list must also be made by the head of the HH account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.