Wiki Posts
Search

G-MEDK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
G-MEDK

What are the best seats on this aircraft in CE?

I have a booking to ACE coming up and they seemingly always use Delta Kilo on this route. 1D and 1F simply do not exist on the seat map so think that makes it more likely that it will be this bird.

Also, why does this aircraft pretty much always end up on the route?

Last edited by cameramaker; Jul 14, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think you may have the wrong seat numbers there, Delta Kilo has both 1C and 1D, 1F being the seat without a window, just a blanked off piece of plastic. Apart from that, it's a conventional ex BMI aircraft, so more knee room in row 1 (but less leg room), and the other seats being pretty much equal. MEDK therefore has 1A, 1C, 1D and 1F.

If you mean there is no 1D or 1F, then that is a G-GAT series aircraft, where the bulkhead exists on the port side only and starts at row 1. Starboard has row 1. If it is that sort then you very much do want row 2D / 2F, some of the longest leg and knee room in shorthaul aircraft, apart from the Embraer 190. Well, I guess 1A and 1C are equally spacious, it's just that during take off and landing the crew are sat directly in front of those seats.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think you may have the wrong seat numbers there, Delta Kilo has both 1C and 1D, 1F being the seat without a window, just a blanked off piece of plastic. Apart from that, it's a conventional ex BMI aircraft, so more knee room in row 1 (but less leg room), and the other seats being pretty much equal. MEDK therefore has 1A, 1C, 1D and 1F.

If you mean there is no 1D or 1F, then that is a G-GAT series aircraft, where the bulkhead exists on the port side only and starts at row 1. Starboard has row 1. If it is that sort then you very much do want row 2D / 2F, some of the longest leg and knee room in shorthaul aircraft, apart from the Embraer 190. Well, I guess 1A and 1C are equally spacious, it's just that during take off and landing the crew are sat directly in front of those seats.
Thanks c-w-s! Indeed, my typo, there is no 1D or 1F, so glad to have bagged 2F for the outbound. Hopefully they don't sub it for Delta Kilo!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
We are booked in 1D and 1F tomorrow night and my fingers are crossed for Delta Kilo!

I saw it all on the way in.

Does anyone know why the window is covered? I saw the halo of it on the way out and thought it strange.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My recollection was that it has been operated by a number of airlines, not just BMI, BMED being the other one I can recall. During its time with BMED, when it would have been used on longer flights than now, there was a wardrobe and bulkhead on the port side which came much further forward than now. As a result the window was blanked out since that window was buried in this set-up. When (I guess) BMI took it over they pushed back the wardrobe to a more conventional location, instated row 1D/E/F and marked the aircraft to have the window restored in due course. But it never happened and BA haven't restored the window either.

It does look a bit odd for a minute or two, and it's not much fun for those of us who like to watch the world go by, but after a while it's easy enough to get used to, particularly on early or late flights in the winter.
abraxias and wanderingjock like this.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
CWS, bmi operated it in full midhaul configuration (so with the wardrobe at 01DF) until pretty much the end
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:42 am

My recollection was that it has been operated by a number of airlines, not just BMI, BMED being the other one I can recall. During its time with BMED, when it would have been used on longer flights than now, there was a wardrobe and bulkhead on the port side which came much further forward than now. As a result the window was blanked out since that window was buried in this set-up. When (I guess) BMI took it over they pushed back the wardrobe to a more conventional location, instated row 1D/E/F and marked the aircraft to have the window restored in due course. But it never happened and BA haven't restored the window either.

It does look a bit odd for a minute or two, and it's not much fun for those of us who like to watch the world go by, but after a while it's easy enough to get used to, particularly on early or late flights in the winter.
Oh yes I do like to watch the world go by but I usually find Sod's law comes into play and he interesting things are always out the opposite window to the one I have!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:10 am

DK spent it's first 6 months or so post merger on the AMM route.....I went twice during this time and it was in a 20J 101M layout with the space nowadays taken by 1DF was occupied by a wardrobe and cupboard with the deactivated video system (originally 8 channel in J and 1 channel in the back.).
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:22 am

So how come if BA advertise every club seat with a window or aisle access they get away with 1F on this plane with neither?

Maybe there should be a *saying except G-MEDK.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:53 am

It has a window, technically. The view is complimentary and not included in the ticket price.
richi and Robert279 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Hi
As a regular traveller on this route I find it frustrating that the seat plan for ACE is always a GAT aircraft (no 1DF) but is almost always MEDK. Which means if you are not quick you end up in the second row and not bulkhead.
Does anyone know why they use MEDK mostly on this route?
Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:04 am

It's all about balancing numbers I would imagine, since MEDK has less seats than G-GATs. Specific aircraft only get attached to flights at T-72, though they can change after that, so before then you're always looking at a hypothetical plan. But as it happens MEDK has indeed flown 12 of the last 13 rotations to/from ACE. ACE gets 3 or 4 flights a week.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:07 am

Whilst Sen are talking to this aircraft, does anyone know what BA2733 was about 2hours 40mins late departing last night?

I'm on it tonight
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
It's all about balancing numbers I would imagine, since MEDK has less seats than G-GATs. Specific aircraft only get attached to flights at T-72, though they can change after that, so before then you're always looking at a hypothetical plan. But as it happens MEDK has indeed flown 12 of the last 13 rotations to/from ACE. ACE gets 3 or 4 flights a week.
There is also a desire to keep MEDK on the longer sectors as it's a non-containerised A320 and therefore requires more handling each time it's on the ground. Constant shuttles to EDI would be costly and increase the potential for delays.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Headed to ACE very soon - seat plan is showing a full Row 1 (A/C/D/F), rather than a G-GAT seatmap.

Assuming this turns out to be MED-K (very likely on this route...) - it sounds like 1D/1F are worth avoiding for lack of window (I like to see where I am going!).

But on 1A/1C - is there a bulkhead on this aircraft, or is that directly open to the aircraft door and crew seating?

I ask because we will be travelling with a baby - I'm happy in Row 1 with her (fine to stow her travel bag for taxi/take-off/landing) but would prefer if there's a proper bulkhead as allows her some limited safe crawl space.

So is there or for 1A/1C on MED-K?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.