Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow bound - RFS & First !

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ATI Volare Premium, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver

Realised last weekend that our oldest 2-4-1 needed to be used by early December this year and already having a couple of good holidays booked with the children this year we agreed that a 3rd was one too many (can't have the young one's being too spoilt )

I didn't want to let the 2-4-1 go unused, so started having a look around Europe using the RFS tool for something at the start of the summer holidays (children off to Grandparents for a week or so )

There were a few options to chose from but I was amazed to find Moscow within the RFS scheme and CW / First available as well.

Just pushed the button to book a 2-4-1 RFS Manchester to Moscow in First for 60,000 avios and £110 - too good an opportunity to miss. Didn't think we'd be back in First so soon after our Boston trip last year.

I know we'll have access to the CCR on our return to the UK but will we have access to the Terraces at Manchester on the evening before our flight out to Moscow and if so, will we have the ability to guest anyone (should they so desire) ?

I shall now stop reading all the 'gloom and doom' reports about First as I only have great memories of it and can't wait to sample said delights again.

MrsB agrees ^

Roll on July
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Nice job!

Good question too: I think domestic legs flown on different days from the international leg book into X class with no lounge access. If it is U then you will have lounge access but no guesting sadly.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks crazy8534

You learn something new every day

Yep, X class on MAN to LHR leg - I'll get the lounge requests in now

The LHR to MAN is U class so we're OK for access at LHR but no guesting.

The LHR to DME First is Z class - will we be able to guest into the CCR ?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by MrBambi
Thanks crazy8534

The LHR to DME First is Z class - will we be able to guest into the CCR ?
Oh Yes! And if you are travelling First DME-LHR you can use CCR then too.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The international leg may well have booked into X, but that doesn't depend on the international flight being on the same day or not. I've had MAN-LHR, LHR-BEY on one ticket with a few weeks in between and MAN-LHR was in U class. Couldn't test the lounge access policy as I already had access.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Excellent - lounge invites will be in the usual place
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
The international leg may well have booked into X, but that doesn't depend on the international flight being on the same day or not. I've had MAN-LHR, LHR-BEY on one ticket with a few weeks in between and MAN-LHR was in U class. Couldn't test the lounge access policy as I already had access.
Ah yes....this is similar to the CE problem people sometimes run into when the domestic leg is X isn't it?

EDIT: Just understood that wasn't what you meant at all...!

Last edited by crazy8534; Jan 16, 2014 at 1:06 pm Reason: My mistake
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by MrBambi
will we have access to the Terraces at Manchester on the evening before our flight out to Moscow
Did this very journey myself back in November, with stopover in London to get the morning flight from LHR.

No problem whatsoever accessing the lounge - had both boarding cards issued at airport and just flashed them both to lady on the lounge desk.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Member

I have had access to the Manchester lounge the day before a TATL. I was under the impression that your onward flight had to be within 24hrs.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Indeed one of BA's really good value options, especially with the Two for One voucher. I hope you have a great trip to a genuinely interesting city.

Just for anyone else interested, visas are still required for Moscow, a bit of a flap but if you are staying at a reasonable standard hotel then you can get them to issue an invitation voucher, and then it's just a form filling, photo and payment exercise. I see as just a modest tax raising exercise rather than a scrutiny process.

The visa is probably on its way out. They have simplified the procedure for the Sochi Winter Olympics (processed immediately rather than overnight/week or two), and Schengen passport holders are likely to see their visas simplified or abolished by the end of this year.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just for anyone else interested, visas are still required for Moscow, a bit of a flap but if you are staying at a reasonable standard hotel then you can get them to issue an invitation voucher, and then it's just a form filling, photo and payment exercise. I see as just a modest tax raising exercise rather than a scrutiny process.
Where is the form filling to be done? Google brings up varying options. I remember reading you can apply direct via a consulate or embassy, but again can not find clear guidelines on how to go about that.

I have a 241 expiring in 7 months and it looks as if I won't have the days spare to burn it on anything long haul, at the very least I'll be sure to try and use it towards a long weekend in Moscow.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold

Check my signature

If I were you I would ask at MAN
Yes you will be able to guest into the CCR if travelling in First
You can use CCR on the way back LHR-MAN

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Where is the form filling to be done? Google brings up varying options. I remember reading you can apply direct via a consulate or embassy, but again can not find clear guidelines on how to go about that.

I have a 241 expiring in 7 months and it looks as if I won't have the days spare to burn it on anything long haul, at the very least I'll be sure to try and use it towards a long weekend in Moscow.
Online. You will need an invitation from the hotel. Then take or send to the consulate office in London. Pay. Visa ready in 7 days.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And VFS handles visas on behalf of Russia in London and Edinburgh (they will process north of England in Edinburgh, though the forms suggest it's for Scots only). Their website has plenty of information.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And VFS handles visas on behalf of Russia in London and Edinburgh (they will process north of England in Edinburgh, though the forms suggest it's for Scots only). Their website has plenty of information.
Yup, they did ours prior to our trip last April. Very straightforward process, I took everything into Edinburgh, and passports returned (with visas attached inside) within a few days ......... pretty flippin' costly though !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.