Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Maybe I'm in a minority - I've never seen anything above and beyond from JFK BA staff.
On one occasion they were clueless about BA On Business/ Business Extraa saying you can have only one FF#(BAEC). Even when my flights were delayed, they would not accommodate on earlier flight without change fee - contrast this with Virgin and AA at JFK where I've never had issues during IRROPS. What is so special about the JFK staff?

Now I hope the BA staff in India(BOM) are not axed as they are genuinely the most amazing of any airline I have ever seen. I go out of my way to book BA out of BOM!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by gw76
I dont recall it causing horrific mayhem at UK 'outstations' ie GLA when outsourced. The service is no better or no worse.
It did at the time. it looks weeks for things to get totally back to normal. Issues with delayed pushbacks etc.

The staff at EDI and particularly GLA are still fairly nice. What's gone is their ability to be flexible and do things not entirely by the book to help customers.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by gw76
I dont recall it causing horrific mayhem at UK 'outstations' ie GLA when outsourced. The service is no better or no worse.
I have no experience of GLA but I'd presume that most of the BA staff were retained under TUPE and kept their previous T&Cs... although perhaps not their travel perks.

In the USA, it sounds like there may be very little protection for existing staff which means many could be let go with cheaper, less experienced staff brought in to replace them.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I will be very sad to see any changes at BOS I've grown up with some of them being there every time I've been flying in or out. Sandy from Special Services has been there as long as I can remember and is immensely knowledgeable and helpful. What a kick in the teeth for passengers let alone the staff especially given the shiny new lounge. I wish everyone affected by this the best of luck. Yet more BA stupidity.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
Sad, I know at PHX nearly all of the former staff are now gone (some stayed for a bit with the outsourcing company), other than a couple in the lounge.

Does this also mean things like Special Services agents will also be outsourced? Especially for JFK with so many flights I have no idea how this can actually save costs.
That's what I am wondering as well. There's one agent in particular at JFK that has helped me out on more than one occasion. Be a shame to loose her

H
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Seems insane to outsource a significant operation like JFK. That said, I have found the BA staff at AUS (whoever they are) to be a cut above most of the local AA staff.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
British Airways : Knowing the cost of everything, but the value of nothing.
Never a truer word written.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Acid
Maybe I'm in a minority - I've never seen anything above and beyond from JFK BA staff.
On one occasion they were clueless about BA On Business/ Business Extraa saying you can have only one FF#(BAEC). Even when my flights were delayed, they would not accommodate on earlier flight without change fee - contrast this with Virgin and AA at JFK where I've never had issues during IRROPS. What is so special about the JFK staff?

Now I hope the BA staff in India(BOM) are not axed as they are genuinely the most amazing of any airline I have ever seen. I go out of my way to book BA out of BOM!
Not entirely in a minority. The BA ground staff in MIA were pretty clueless and unfriendly too in April. In ANU last year they were downright rude and obstructive (not USA I know...).
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sigma421

The staff at EDI and particularly GLA are still fairly nice. What's gone is their ability to be flexible and do things not entirely by the book to help customers.
Which is probably a plus as far as the airline is concerned. If the contract agency staff break the rules, it can take action against the agency
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Amex Plat (UK)
I'm not aware of anything like TUPE in the States, so there is no guarantee that staff will be able to retain their wages and benefits. In my experience, airlines outsource their ground-handling specifically so they can reduce wages to the legal minimum and no longer have to pay for "benefits" like paid sick leave, holiday time, or staff travel. Quality will plummet, since they won't be able to attract any real talented people to work under these conditions.

As others have said, this has been the trend for nearly all US-based front-line ground handling staff for a few years now, so I'm surprised it's taken BA this long to catch up.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Shame to see people lose their jobs but not unexpected in todays competitive airline industry.
Contracted in staff won't necessarily mean a drop in standards. The majority of the general public would rather have affordable fares rather than subsidise services they'll rarely if ever need.
I'd like to hear more about what you actually mean?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Statement
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The 10 remaining self handling stations are SFO, LAX, ORD, IAH, MIA, IAD, PHL, EWR, JFK and BOS.
is a bit misleading ... were you trying to say that the last 10 remaining are also to go?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:25 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Does the USA have any equivalent of TUPE?
I do not think so.

With most companies severance pay is 1 weekly (not monthly - just weekly) salary for each year of employment.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Statement is a bit misleading ... were you trying to say that the last 10 remaining are also to go?
Yes - as was clarified a few pages back
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Does this mean that all the check-in staff at JFK is going to be rebranded/fired and new company will take over the operations of checkin and ground handling?
It seems like a very stupid thing to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.