Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL
Anyone know if this includes the Special Services team at JFK - all of whom are incredibly helpful
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:08 pm

You know whether you entered a deal with the right company if something goes wrong. I am not rich enough for being able to afford buying from the cheapest.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Some of the JFK staff are the best airline staff I have ever encountered anywhere.
On many occasions they have saved my a** by a) going well above and beyond, by b) knowing exactly what they can and can't do and c) how to do it.

The race to the bottom continues..
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Very sad news. Was very impressed by the BA staff. They also handle the JAL flight. I was travelling with a baby and the BA staff was super helpful, from check-in to helping us during the boarding process.

Both BOS and JFK are very large stations for BA and i am very surprised by this change.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Hard to knock BA on this, it's what's happening everywhere. In the industry I work in there is widespread replacement of those with many years of experience (read expensive) with much more junior (read low cost) staff. If a senior person leaves they re-advertise at a grade or two below for the same role and much lower wages. Sure the quality of work goes down, customer's get peed off, but if everyone is doing it then the new lower standard prevails.

Some call it efficiency, some the effects of globalisation, some blame the old who already have a stash and restrict the youth from getting a house, a car etc etc

Life is generally tough and nothing lasts forever. I wish the old BA staff well (particularly the lounge manager in SFO) but as one door closes another opens and he may well find a way better job than the one he now has (had).
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Shame to see people lose their jobs but not unexpected in todays competitive airline industry.
Contracted in staff won't necessarily mean a drop in standards. The majority of the general public would rather have affordable fares rather than subsidise services they'll rarely if ever need.
It will absolutely mean a drop in standards. I've interacted with contract staff at LAX check in in recent years as the ranks of BA people has been thinned already, and there is a world of difference between someone who works for the airline and cares about the overall passenger experience and someone is who is being paid for the air transport equivalent of flipping a burger with much the same attitude (and it's hard to blame them anyway).

Over the years I've met some truly superb BA ground staff especially at ORD and LAX and, especially as one gets to know them over a period of years, they only get better at what they do. The new contract people will be in and out, high turnover, moved from one station to another, probably miserably paid and worse treated, and not really care too much to uphold the reputation of BA.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Hard to knock BA on this, it's what's happening everywhere. In the industry I work in there is widespread replacement of those with many years of experience (read expensive) with much more junior (read low cost) staff. If a senior person leaves they re-advertise at a grade or two below for the same role and much lower wages. Sure the quality of work goes down, customer's get peed off, but if everyone is doing it then the new lower standard prevails.

Some call it efficiency, some the effects of globalisation, some blame the old who already have a stash and restrict the youth from getting a house, a car etc etc

Life is generally tough and nothing lasts forever. I wish the old BA staff well (particularly the lounge manager in SFO) but as one door closes another opens and he may well find a way better job than the one he now has (had).
It's not happening everywhere though, is it? Unless I'm mistaken, AA has its own staff at LHR. And so do UA and DL. Furthermore, as far as I know, they have no plans for changing that, for good reasons.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
British Airways : Knowing the cost of everything, but the value of nothing.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
It's not happening everywhere though, is it? Unless I'm mistaken, AA has its own staff at LHR. And so do UA and DL. Furthermore, as far as I know, they have no plans for changing that, for good reasons.
Quite. It's as strong a signal of where BA wants to go as any you could give, frankly.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
With all the post merger moves made at AA, I would not count on that for much longer. AA is already outsourcing at least some of the US domestic customer service staff at airports.

UA pre-merger was much the same way, now much of their staff is outsourced, even in the US.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by cheltzel
With all the post merger moves made at AA, I would not count on that for much longer. AA is already outsourcing at least some of the US domestic customer service staff at airports.

UA pre-merger was much the same way, now much of their staff is outsourced, even in the US.
Yes, but not in their major hubs though (regardless of country).
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:51 am

I dont recall it causing horrific mayhem at UK 'outstations' ie GLA when outsourced. The service is no better or no worse.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground

You can still knock BA for being part of the problem tbh.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Yes, but not in their major hubs though (regardless of country).
UA used to have SIN and NRT based crew operations. Both have been closed

UA outsourced most if not all their ex-US airport staff. UA's NRT operations hub has been all but disbanded.

I believe a similar change is or has happened at UA's HKG operations as well.

UA has outsourced check in and gate operations at many of its smaller domestic destinations.

Recently on an AA flight out of ORD, I noticed mostly contract based service representatives at the check in counters.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gw76
I dont recall it causing horrific mayhem at UK 'outstations' ie GLA when outsourced. The service is no better or no worse.
Yes they had very nice staff the last time I was there....some had even retained the BA 'Kelvinside' accent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.