Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Are any brand new BA-branded outstation lounges on the cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

I get the sense that BA is not really looking to expand its outstation lounge network. Rather it is focussing on refurbing some of its key existing lounges (JFK, SIN, BOS, SFO etc).

However, are there any outstations where BA might be looking to open a new BA lounge? I imagine the operation would still be outsourced, but it would be nice to have the BA brand and styling nonetheless.

One that comes to mind is TLV. BA have three fairly premium flights a day there, plus potential for generating extra revenue from CX, IB, AY and RJ which all fly there too.

Any thoughts or insider info on potential locations?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The obvious location, bearing in mind the number of flights, the offering and bearing in mind the competition, is FRA. It probably would be a sensible business proposition. On the longhaul it would be the India stations, looking at the size of the prize there, though the competition against BA is fairly weak (even taking into account the ME3). If it wasn't for Schengen getting in the way, BCN would be a good place for an IAG lounge, at the moment IAG have to pay AENA for fairly weak offerings for its 3.7 airlines operating there.

There again KEF is one of BA's best performing new routes, and there's no lounge there at all.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
IBZ gets a significant wedge of BA traffic during peak season

cs
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
And pretty much closes during the winter bar the one LCY flight, hardly worth opening a lounge when they can just use the AENA offering.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
BA doesn't seem to be a fan of lounges on European leisure routes though...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The obvious location, bearing in mind the number of flights, the offering and bearing in mind the competition, is FRA. It probably would be a sensible business proposition.

FRA of course, as you know, used to have a rather unattractive basement BA lounge with little natural light.

whilst I would welcome it, I am not sure if there is space and given both JAL and CX have decent lounges (with decent food offering depending on time of day), I am not sure there's a case for an additional OW lounge....
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:23 am
Suspended

The Dan lounges at TLV are OK, a better lounge for OW would be great though.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979
whilst I would welcome it, I am not sure if there is space and given both JAL and CX have decent lounges (with decent food offering depending on time of day), I am not sure there's a case for an additional OW lounge....
The CX lounge is pretty poor in my view - definitely in need of a refurb - but I agree that together with the JAL lounge there is reasonable provision. I take c-w-s points about it being a prime BA station though.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
The new airport at Istanbul would be an opportunity for a OW lounge but given BA is hopelessly outclassed by TK and seems to have issues filling it's aircraft (as well as mucking around with schedules, dropping flights, doing as little as possible to mitigate electronics ban and generally doing it's best to avoid attracting customers) I really don't see it happening.

This is all very speculative, I don't see BA opening a lounge any time soon.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Has MUC got new sofas yet?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:22 am

Personally I think they should have a lounge in DUB. Between LHR & LCY they are operating 10+ flights a day. They are currently using the DAA lounge which is only ok (it was the old BD lounge). Even if / when EI rejoin OneWorld, BA operate from T1 not T2 and it's not likely that'll change due to space constraints
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Personally I think they should have a lounge in DUB. Between LHR & LCY they are operating 10+ flights a day. They are currently using the DAA lounge which is only ok (it was the old BD lounge). Even if / when EI rejoin OneWorld, BA operate from T1 not T2 and it's not likely that'll change due to space constraints
Having been in there yesterday, I have to say it's not the worst lounge in europe by a long shot. I'm not sure a BA one would be any better...

Now, speaking of LCY, that's somewhere that *really* needs a BA lounge of some sort, I guess space is the constraint there...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
It's been refreshed very recently and the reported offering has been improved. I haven't been since the improvements so I can't give any first-hand observations.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It's been refreshed very recently and the reported offering has been improved. I haven't been since the improvements so I can't give any first-hand observations.
I'll be there next month so I'll check it out then
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
In terms of completely new lounges, a new BA lounge at MIA is planned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.