Drinks during extended ground delays

Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Drinks during extended ground delays

what exactly are the rules on this? Just sat on the BA174 at JFK which has pushed back. However due to various weather problems earlier we have been advised by the captain that an hours queuing before take off is the best case. Having boarded last (late incoming connection and almost missed the 174) am dying for a drink so I asked if it was possible to get a glass of champagne and got the very curtly delivered response 'no, the bars are closed'. Anyone know what the rules are in this and is there a point at which a delay is long enough for the crew to be allowed to deviate from standard practice? Anyway, have consoled myself by shredding my skin trying to open the Crystal Geyser water bottle!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
have you asked for another, none alcoholic, drink due to the duties liable on alcohol when on the ground in the US?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
JFK is a killer for this...worst one I had was 3hrs on the tarmac on a VS flight in Upper. Couldn't even get a beer. Bloody annoying!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
this is the BA customer service and contingency policy

If your aircraft remains on the tarmac no later than two hours after leaving the gate for a departure, or touches down after an arrival, we will provide food and potable water from the normal on-board catering. Should the pilot-in-command decide that safety or security requirements preclude this service then we will not be able to provide these refreshments.
@jeffers - the VS policy is the same - water only

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jul 11, 2017 at 6:18 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:13 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would imagine part of the issue here is that the Captain won't want glasses around the cabin, or a single unsecured trolley, in case there's an unexpected improvement and an earlier slot is obtained - he or she will want the cabin secured and ready to go pretty much immediately.

The cabin crew are more likely to be working to that instruction rather than any standard practice, I'd have thought.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC
The bars are not allowed to be opened on the ground in the US due to customs regulations. Pre take off champagne is loaded separately, and will no doubt have been used in the pre take off service.

From what the OP has stated, the aircraft had pushed back so the crew will have already completed the safety demo and their cabin checks, so in essence the cabin may well have been deemed as "secure". If the aircraft was making its way to the runway, slowly taxying which in some airports with ATC restrictions can take a long time, then the crew would not have been permitted to carry out any service in case changes to the departure occur.

However if the aircraft was pushed and parked stationary waiting for its clearance, then after an hour roughly, the SCCM would be thinking of preparing a simple juice/water round, in liaison with the Captain.

Kind Regards
D1L
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: EY Gold, BA Gold, EK Gold, CX Gold
On BA762 to Oslo and we are delayed by about an hour. Shortly after the captain announced the delay the crew came around with water for everyone. Pleasantly surprised.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
I once had a three hour ground delay in JFK and while we were parked up remotely the crew completed the full First dinner service. That was during an apocalyptic thunderstorm and it was clear no one would be going anywhere anytime soon.

Then on Saturday a ninety minute ground hold at LHR saw us similarly park remotely. The bars were opened and we all had a drink and some nuts. This was in CE, and what surprised me is that on similar delays in the past only water or juice in plastic cups has been offered.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
you were "dying for a drink" (because of rushing to make the flight) and you asked for champagne?

I am 100% sure the crew would have given you water in a plastic glass but (re-) opening the bar, getting glasses out etc whilst taxing (even if stationary in the queue at that very point in time) feels inappropriate so I'd say the crew were spot on.
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by chris1979
you were "dying for a drink" (because of rushing to make the flight) and you asked for champagne?

I am 100% sure the crew would have given you water in a plastic glass but (re-) opening the bar, getting glasses out etc whilst taxing (even if stationary in the queue at that very point in time) feels inappropriate so I'd say the crew were spot on.
Not suggesting for one minute that the crew weren't spot on. My normal jfk routine involves one glass of wine or similar which is just enough to aid me getting to sleep at 6pm so yes, I was in a hurry to get that sooner rather than later!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BA235
I once had a three hour ground delay in JFK and while we were parked up remotely the crew completed the full First dinner service.
'Full' service including wine and liqueurs? If they did then unless it was fully declared and approved by customs authorities, BA could have landed themselves in very serious trouble.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by brentford77
Not suggesting for one minute that the crew weren't spot on. My normal jfk routine involves one glass of wine or similar which is just enough to aid me getting to sleep at 6pm so yes, I was in a hurry to get that sooner rather than later!
The US is subject to draconian and strange overbearing laws with stoning as a penalty for not obeying them. Next time, plan ahead #cans
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Alcohol, including beer, wine, and spirits is taxed by both federal & state authorities in the US. BA and other carriers departing the US are stocked with "bonded" liquor which means that no taxes are collected, but the liquor must remain in sealed carts until the aircraft is in the air and approximately 3 miles off the coast (generally not an issue as that occurs well before cabin service starts).

The Captain is responsible for assuring that those bonded carts remain sealed and the penalty for breaking the seal is not only that BA might be assessed the taxes and astronomical penalties, but that it will have its permit to purchase bonded liquor suspended or revoked.

There is a smallish supply of unbonded liquor on which the taxes have been paid just as at any bar in NY state. That is used to serve anything on the ground.

Plastic is a safety precaution. It is particularly important on lengthy ground stops because those are sometimes lifted on very little notice. The Captain cannot advise ATC (ground control) that he is ready to roll until the cabin is secured and collecting and stowing glasses as opposed to quickly tossing plastic in a bag may mean the difference between grabbing a slot over the North Atlantic and another few hours of waiting.

If you have a medical need for alcohol such that you are "dying" a consultation between your physician and BA's medical team might lead to a medical exception. Or not.
brentford77 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
How does the "3 miles off the coast" rule work with West Coast flights? Or do they load "tax paid" bottles on these, for use over US airspace?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Door1Left
The bars are not allowed to be opened on the ground in the US due to customs regulations. Pre take off champagne is loaded separately, and will no doubt have been used in the pre take off service.
I'm on a one hour ground delay in Copenhagen (Club Europe to LHR). Only water, though a G&T would make me far happier. I guess also customs reasons?

VF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.