Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fast track security for BA (or lack thereof) at Malaga (AGP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

I have been doing quite a lot of flying out of AGP recently with more to come, and am getting increasingly frustrated with the fact that although my BP always says 'Fast Track', I am not able to use the fast track security lane, as BA apparently do not pay for that facility and the BA BP's do not therefore pass the scanner test at the entrance to fast track.

Is it really acceptable that on a route which is sold heavily in CE (10 rows out of 25 on the LCY flights are often CE) BA are too mean to pay for the fast track facility ?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I feel your pain, I also think the check in at AGP could be better but I doubt if anything will improve.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnaalex
I feel your pain, I also think the check in at AGP could be better but I doubt if anything will improve.
That's a whole other story. I was told a couple of years ago, that the poor check in process is all down to a feeble internet connection. Can this be true in the 21st century ??

Even worse is that the single CE queue is regularly held up by large families with non EU passports, whose entitlement to fly to the UK seems to require much time to resolve. The person at the (single) ET desk never has the gorm to move the stalled CE queue along by calling people forward ahead of the ET pax.
CaroFos likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
That's a whole other story. I was told a couple of years ago, that the poor check in process is all down to a feeble internet connection. Can this be true in the 21st century ??
Fiber Optic now installed.. Its still very poor but thats just the lackluster poor service attitude that predominates here in Malaga (my home town). Unfortunalty whilst its a wonderful place to live one has to adjust ones expectations as you board at Gatwick. Only today i was promised a call back in 20 mins from Americian Express that never materialized. Dont get me started on the passport control issues (currently working to rule) or the queues in and out of Gibraltar when our governments clash or my postal service etc etc etc.... the list goes on

And as for the fast track security in Malaga I just duck under the rope and walk to the front.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
I've been doing this route for nearly 15 yrs and it's never been good for any airline. The new-ish Terminal layout makes you very fit by sending you the length of the building a few times. Don't get me started on car rental drop off and the new motorway layout for exit and entering the airport.

But as for fast track, there's been moans about Heathrow "Fast track" (pre-first wing), as for a southern Spanish airport, I've always found them not to be fast at most things! Manana! Manana!

...but in fairness I'm used to the ridiculous pace of life in London!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:02 pm

Fast track not working for a BA silver travelling BA Y this week although the guy at the gate let me through with a shrug of his shoulders.

It had worked previously in Y (and also failed in J) so your guess is as good as mine moving forwards.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:03 am

Hi we fly to Malaga quite often and were bounced out of the fast track queue too very annoying. Also experienced lengthy delay at CE check in due to 2 non EU ladies with lots of luggage in front of us, the ET queue would have been quicker! Not a brilliant start to the journey
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:34 am

Am I alone in noticing a regular occurrence of Spanish airlines in the UK and Spanish check-in desks needing to make a phone call for almost every person checking in? Who are the staff calling and why!? Maybe I'm just unlucky!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread. Flying into AGP next week and would appreciate any anecdotal updates on the current queuing situation inbound / outbound.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:56 am

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread. Flying into AGP next week and would appreciate any anecdotal updates on the current queuing situation inbound / outbound.
if from LHR or LGW then this is the usual premium security lanes with the relevant status or fare. If from AGP then there is no change as from 2 weeks ago...just the usual Spanish Inquisition!!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have been doing quite a lot of flying out of AGP recently with more to come, and am getting increasingly frustrated with the fact that although my BP always says 'Fast Track', I am not able to use the fast track security lane, as BA apparently do not pay for that facility and the BA BP's do not therefore pass the scanner test at the entrance to fast track.

Is it really acceptable that on a route which is sold heavily in CE (10 rows out of 25 on the LCY flights are often CE) BA are too mean to pay for the fast track facility ?
If the boarding pass shows 'Fast Track' what happens if you just wave it at someone and bluff your way through? It sounds as if scanner/software recognition is the issue - is there a human you can interact with?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Not just AGP - Seems to be anywhere where theres a machine as opposed to a human that can wave you through, fast track doesn't seem to work.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:22 am

Malaga Fast Track back working for me a few days ago. Did not have it on my paper biarding pass but was on my phone. Flew ET as a silver.

As a side note I efectivly just cut the queue before security (the back and forth bit ) and was directed into the substantial backlog at the xray machines saving prehaps 3 or 4 mins at the most..Was through in 15 mins max.

Flying back into Malaga there were no queues at passport control despite it being peak .

Last edited by sunshinebob; Aug 12, 2017 at 6:37 am
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
if from LHR or LGW then this is the usual premium security lanes with the relevant status or fare. If from AGP then there is no change as from 2 weeks ago...just the usual Spanish Inquisition!!
Can I ask what this actually means, in practice? Flying LGW-AGP at beginning of Sept and other than reading about Schengen mayhem in the papers (with Malaga listed as a problem hotspot) I'm not sure what to do about it. Flying back from AGP on a Sat (Sep 9th) on BA2715 (14.10) - any advice when we should get there?

Will CE/Fast Track help in any way with the current passport issues if we manage to get in, or is it only in the bag security queue that it makes any difference? (travelling hand luggage only, so no manual check-in)

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by GCab
Can I ask what this actually means, in practice? Flying LGW-AGP at beginning of Sept and other than reading about Schengen mayhem in the papers (with Malaga listed as a problem hotspot) I'm not sure what to do about it. Flying back from AGP on a Sat (Sep 9th) on BA2715 (14.10) - any advice when we should get there?

Will CE/Fast Track help in any way with the current passport issues if we manage to get in, or is it only in the bag security queue that it makes any difference? (travelling hand luggage only, so no manual check-in)

Thanks!
If CE then you will have access to Premium Security lanes at LGW next to the Bloc Hotel entrance. Upstairs from check in zones. The security lanes only check boarding passes and then your personal belongings. There is no passport check at this stage, unless this has changed? Passport checks are normally done at the Gate, you will see the queue alongside the walking escalators for this. Feel free to try to get the front for CE queue, if you can stomach the 'tuts' and 'looks' from the rest of pax!

As hand baggage only you should be through security and into the new lounges with 15mins. Depending on time of day and day itself. Others can verify this.

As for departing AGP, someone above has said Fast Track is now available for CE or status pax? I normally arrive within plenty of time, 2-3hrs, as I enjoy lounge time and AGP security is bit of a crowd gathering organised chaos, especially if theres the last of the summer holiday makers heading back! If Hand baggage only then 1hr 45 is comfortable enough to get you from security to gate with the possibility of some lounge time too.

However it maybe the case that border control in front of C gates can be quite a long queue in summer season, so I would recommend leaving enough time for this. I'm actually returning the day before you so may give an update if I can on this. So overall CE/Fast track doesn't help with passport queues but does help for security queues at AGP.

Feel free to correct any of this should others who are more regular or recent on this route know any different or have updates.

Hope this helps.

Safe flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.