FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Booking LATAM flights with BAEC avios (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1852769-booking-latam-flights-baec-avios.html)

Odiy Jul 10, 2017 11:36 am

Booking LATAM flights with BAEC avios

anyone had any luck with this? Trying to get flights from Santiago to Mount Pleasant ( Falklands). Never anything on BA.com though my friends in latam ff club can see redemption bookings...

FlightDetective Jul 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Yes, I booked the AKL-SYD on LATAM's 787-9 very easily using BA Avios. Availability comes up quite fine for that route in a search and booking it is just as simple as redeeming for BA.

Therefore, I would guess that LATAM don't open any redemption seats to BA for the route you're wondering about.

rapidex Jul 10, 2017 1:45 pm

One of my employees is a Falkland islander,and the flight he goes on is SCL-PUQ-MPN.

Perhaps for an Avios redemption you need to search for the sectors individually.

surryson Jul 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Also never had a problem with LA through BA.com - granted not on routes you mention

cmcbugg Jul 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Odiy (Post 28543006)
anyone had any luck with this? Trying to get flights from Santiago to Mount Pleasant ( Falklands). Never anything on BA.com though my friends in latam ff club can see redemption bookings...

You also dont see the same reward availability on BAEC that you see on LanPass. There are different redemption pricing bands on LanPass. BAEC only seems to offer the cheaper LanPass bands for Avios rewards (I guess similar to the Saver bands on AA rewards).

jbalmuth Jul 10, 2017 3:06 pm

If after calling BAEC to verify that they don't see redemption possibilities (it's just a once a week flight, on Saturdays, for much of the year), you can always strategize how to take advantage of LATAM redemption possibilities (i.e. open a LATAM account and transfer credit card points to it, or ask one of your friends with excess LATAM points to come to the rescue....). If you have any AAdvantage miles, it would certainly be worth giving them a call.

[fwiw, I've sometimes had much better luck using AAdvantage miles than BAEC Avios in booking LATAM domestic redemptions. AA doesn't have LATAM flights available online, and somehow the process used by some AA telephone CS agents sometimes results in many more available flight choices than what I see on britishairways.com. Intra-Chile flights cost 6,000 Aadvantage miles one-way in the rear cabin....a very good use of a small pile of excess or "orphan" AAdvantage miles.]

HIDDY Jul 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Certain LAN routes are rarely if ever available using Avios as the Lan kms awards on the routes are not priced at the lowest kms rate which BAEC awards are based on.

PUQ-MPN-PUQ awards used to be easily available through BAEC for a short period after Lan joined OW then they suddenly stopped. RGL-MPN has never been available.

delpiero223 Oct 8, 2019 3:45 am

I know it's an old thread, but someone might be interested:

As the new GRU-MPN-flight is now bookable there's a lot of award space for GRU-MPN currently. Bookable via LATAM Pass at 34.000 points r/t.

You can also book it with avios, but have to call BA for it. I did it yesterday and they only had Business space left for 39.000 Avios oneway. Quite a nice deal considering cash fares for Business Class are 2.000$ and upwards.

Interesting enough LATAM Pass only got Economy space while BA EC only got Business class seats.