Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA price gouging?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure I understand your AA comparison. BA and AA operate as a JV on that route. Expenses and revenue are shared and the net is split. You may have paid your money to AA, but half the net revenue goes to BA and vice-a-versa.
OK, I get that, not the right comparison. BUT Virgin to NY is half the cost of BA. I never used to see that. It's the price discontinuity. Maybe edging up 10 - 20 % above your rival but at double the price you are giving away revenue.

b/t/w - I am not hooked into BA particularly after - once again their quote (to Mauritius) was way over the competition - I flew in business on Emirates and Qantas in their A380's and both put BA Club to shame.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by haylefarm
OK, I get that, not the right comparison. BUT Virgin to NY is half the cost of BA. I never used to see that. It's the price discontinuity. Maybe edging up 10 - 20 % above your rival but at double the price you are giving away revenue.

b/t/w - I am not hooked into BA particularly after - once again their quote (to Mauritius) was way over the competition - I flew in business on Emirates and Qantas in their A380's and both put BA Club to shame.
If you as a consumer believe that VS is better value than BA, you ought to book VS.

The underlying assertion that BA is "gouging" is, without more, wrong. There are after all, many who are paying the BA price.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Here's a price gouge: Mrs FF99 recently had to fly back from Germany to LHR at very short notice owing to a family illness and I had to pay £540 for a one-way ET ticket. For that she did not even get a free coffee on the aircraft Add to that that I could not even get the Avios back for the return half of her original return ticket as it had been half flown, and I felt that we had been well and truly ripped off.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Here's a price gouge: Mrs FF99 recently had to fly back from Germany to LHR at very short notice owing to a family illness and I had to pay £540 for a one-way ET ticket. For that she did not even get a free coffee on the aircraft Add to that that I could not even get the Avios back for the return half of her original return ticket as it had been half flown, and I felt that we had been well and truly ripped off.
How much was a return (of which you'd have 'thrown away' the other half)?
How much was easyJet/Ryanair? How about the train?

In a nice neat way, we've come full circle. Someone asked why BA charges high prices. Then someone else showed why
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
There was a big pricing glitch if you tried to purchase on BA.com over the weekend - I saw the OP's "your fare is no longer available and is now <insert astronomical fare here>) several times. IAD-LHR return was pricing at over $3,000+ in coach and over $5,000 for premium economy even though the more realistic $900 and $1500 range fares were showing everywhere else...

The glitch is (for me at least) gone now as I was able to book a reasonable fare today.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
How much was a return (of which you'd have 'thrown away' the other half)?
How much was easyJet/Ryanair? How about the train?

In a nice neat way, we've come full circle. Someone asked why BA charges high prices. Then someone else showed why
You can be assured that I looked at all the options including a return ticket and this was the cheapest option. Train far too slow in the circumstances, and no other airline had a seat at the right time at a better fare.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can be assured that I looked at all the options including a return ticket and this was the cheapest option. Train far too slow in the circumstances, and no other airline had a seat at the right time at a better fare.
So you are saying BA was actually the cheapest option? I thought this thread was about BA being the most expensive?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I know it's probably too late now but couldn't you change the Avios return sector to some date in the distant future to protect it?

I also suspect that a ET return ticket where you throw away the return might have also been cheaper. Not always the first thing that comes to mind when you really need to travel urgently but all airlines, not only BA will happily "gouge" you when in that situation.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by johnspenceruk
Not sure this is a surprise. I switched to using aggregate search sites like Momondo or Expedia and then book the best value tickets for my routes, even if on other airline / alliance.

The savings made easily justify ditching perks of Silver or Gold, we are talking five figures £££ now since I ditched BA. .
Sensible chap....
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I track the route via kayak or skyscanner at the same time so am comparing prices for BA and other carriers so not attached to BA but If there is a reason to book through BA - I sometimes do if I'm thinking of checking upgrade options which I don't get for the same flight in Expedia - then I check first thing in the morning.

I often find I check first thing - see a price, it may say something like 2 seats left at this price. I get approval to book but the price has gone up, presumably those 2 seats have gone. However if I then come back the next morning, it's back to the original price and climbs through the day. I have tracked this over multiple destinations over time and the behaviour seems consistent.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by haylefarm
Whole point of my last comment is BA doesn't even bother to come close to remaining competitive once they sense they have the customer on the fish hook perhaps?
How exactly do they 'have you on the fish hook' when NYC is one of, if not THE, widest served long-haul destination from Heathrow?! It's literally the worst route for them to try and gouge prices on because people will just use one of the many other airlines that'll fly you there for a cheaper price, directly or otherwise!

This is a boring argument based out of the fact you wanted to book on to a very specific flight which is probably heavily booked so the fare class is increasing, and thus the price. There's still plenty of flights that week for <£1k, or you could just book with another airline!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.