FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   'Double Bings' - When, What & Why Not? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1852536-double-bings-when-what-why-not.html)

Chris9642 Jul 9, 2017 11:21 am

'Double Bings' - When, What & Why Not?

Hey all,

Quick question - despite flying long haul at least twice a month I still find myself an extremely anxious traveller (until I've had a few glasses of champers of course) and have come to rely on the routine I experience on BA vs other airlines for comfort.

Yesterday (seated in J) leaving Dubai we had an extremely long taxi for take off - I was feeling quite unwell after a heavy night out (self inflicted) and was finding myself getting more and more anxious. As we taxied onto the runway there was no 'double bing' that I've gotten used to over the years and after a long take off roll (normal in the DXB heat) there was also no 'double bing'. Having all my recent flights on 747 or A380 I had forgotten how noisy it is sitting directly over the wing on a 777 which only added to the anxiety I was having during the long slow climb - my mind running riot about the fact there was no 'bing' and my raging hangover only sending my mind into further overdrive!!

I know its crazy but just wondered why as I assumed it was to notify the crew of taxing onto an active runway and secondly to notify on 'wheels up'. Is it normal procedure in any situation to have no 'bing'. Just interested in anyones opinions / fact.

Thanks - and despite numerous attempts to make the latest 'DO's' I do hope to finally be at the next one to have all of my irrational questions answered in person :D:D

KARFA Jul 9, 2017 11:29 am

The Airbus has an automatic one bing on gear up and gear down. It's part of the cabin information system. The double bing on runway entry for takeoff is done by the pilots, but you'll notice the SCCM will have made the "cabin crew seats for takeoff/landing" well before that point.

With the boeings there is no cabin bing on gear down and gear up.

CloudGazer Jul 9, 2017 11:31 am

I can't remember a BA flight I've been on that didn't have the double bing before take off.

Would be interesting to hear if it's a checklist item or just part of BA SOP.

bealine Jul 9, 2017 11:32 am

I think the clue lies in the "long taxi". You're quite right that the double bing advises the crew the aeroplane is entering the live runway and tells them to get strapped into their seats.

However, the pilot in charge of the sector will have briefed the crew thus "I'll sound a double chime when we enter the runway and you need to bucke up at that point." It may well be that on the briefing of your flight, the pilot had told them "We have a bit of a wait before pushback, so get your safety demo out of the way and your cabin checks done and then strap in. We have a long taxi, so we won't need to sound the chimes."

CloudGazer Jul 9, 2017 11:33 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28538629)
The Airbus has an automatic one bing on gear up and gear down. It's part of the cabin information system.

Curiously, what else does the cabin information system do? Is exit lights on gear down part of the same system?

Chris9642 Jul 9, 2017 11:39 am

The Airbus has an automatic one bing on gear up and gear down. It's part of the cabin information system. The double bing on runway entry for takeoff is done by the pilots, but you'll notice the SCCM will have made the "cabin crew seats for takeoff/landing" well before that point.

Ok good to know although on my 747 departure from LHR earlier in the week we had 'double bing' immediately after rotation.

BA6501 Jul 9, 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by CloudGazer (Post 28538637)
Curiously, what else does the cabin information system do? Is exit lights on gear down part of the same system?

Yes, it happens at the exact same time as the relevant "bing". Just like when the lights turn off after gear up.

aks120 Jul 9, 2017 11:56 am

Ha - I was nervous the other day from LCY - we were actually on the runway and lined up and the CSM was still being busy - a chap in 1A told her we were on the runway but she put all her faith into the 'double bing' - the other day from LGW we took off and there was no double bing so I guess that was a bit of a risk!

I was nervous for her - I know LCY is tight but I have never seen someone faff as much as she did before take off !

aks120

Chris9642 Jul 9, 2017 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by aks120 (Post 28538740)
Ha - I was nervous the other day from LCY - we were actually on the runway and lined up and the CSM was still being busy - a chap in 1A told her we were on the runway but she put all her faith into the 'double bing' - the other day from LGW we took off and there was no double bing so I guess that was a bit of a risk!

I was nervous for her - I know LCY is tight but I have never seen someone faff as much as she did before take off !

aks120

Yikes ! Clearly she's as reliant on the 'double bing' as I am haha!

Can I help you Jul 9, 2017 12:09 pm

You didn't hear a double ding but a slight chime which would have be the auto no smoking sign going off it it hadn't been switched to off.

KARFA Jul 9, 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by aks120 (Post 28538740)

aks120

I thought there was a cabin secure signal which gets sent by the cc to the flight deck? If the pilots haven't seen that I would have assumed they would not have lined up?

Chris9642 Jul 9, 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 28538789)
You didn't hear a double ding but a slight chime which would have be the auto no smoking sign going off it it hadn't been switched to off.

And all this time I've been revelling in the safety of the 'bing' after take off on a 747 when in fact it means 'feel free to light up' haha ! :p:p:p

Can I help you Jul 9, 2017 12:12 pm

The double ding isn't a sign to tell the crew that they should be seated, the SCCM sends a message to the flight crew that the cabin is secure and the crew are seated.

Chris9642 Jul 9, 2017 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 28538807)
The double ding isn't a sign to tell the crew that they should be seated, the SCCM sends a message to the flight crew that the cabin is secure and the crew are seated.

Ok thanks for the insight - what is the 'double bing' actually for then? Im so used to hearing it on entering the runway and on 'wheels up' - maybe I had just assumed the meaning. Does it have any relevance to you as a crew member when you hear it?

Thanks as always for the insight.

C

aks120 Jul 9, 2017 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28538802)
I thought there was a cabin secure signal which gets sent by the cc to the flight deck? If the pilots haven't seen that I would have assumed they would not have lined up?

That would explain why we sat on the runway for a while and when we went we really went - the best LCY T/O I have ever had - brakes on high engine (full aircraft) shot off the blocks and climbed like a bird - I loved it!

Regards

aks120