Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
This is community help desk which allows members to assist each other in finding out how many seats are available on any given flight.

If you wish to request availability for a specific flight, please state the date and origin/departure airport codes, not just the flight number.

Please also restrict requests to BA/oneworld flights - flights for other airlines may be removed to avoid cluttering the thread and taking it away from BAEC.

As of 15 Oct 2014 flightstats.com no longer displays flight availability.

Fare class availability can be queried in various ways*:
* Please update wiki if you know of any others.
** Origin of data concealed and probably unauthorised (so buyer beware)

What do the codes mean?
Suppose we have a result as F1 A0 J9 C7 D0 RC IC W9 E9 T4 Y9 BC HC ...

This means:
There is 1 seat in the F bucket for sale
There are 0 seats in the A and D bucket for sale, but you can join the waitlist in case seats get released later.
There are at least 9 seats in the J, W, E and Y buckets.
The R, I, B and H buckets are closed to waitlisting.

There are two important things to note about how to interpret these numbers that many people don't understand as it is very counter intuitive:
1) There is NO direct relation to the actual number of seats available on the specific flight. They only mean that the airline is willing to sell this many seats on that specific flight. The airline may intend to oversell seats or withhold seats from sale for many reasons.

2) In the example above, the results show W9 E9 T4 (which are all WT+ buckets). This does not mean that there are 9+9+4=22 seats for sale. Interpret these numbers as "there are at least 9 seats for sale in WT+". There could really be anywhere between 9 and 22 seats for sale - we just can't tell from the numbers the system gives us. Therefore, the conservative approach of assuming that there are at least 9 seats for sale is usually the best one.

What does the "C" mean?
Closed to waitlisting.
In the example above we have RC, IC, BC and HC. This is different to A0 and D0: The A and D buckets are "full" but you can apply to join their waitlists (if your fare permits waitlisting). With R, I, B and H you cannot even request a seat.

The carrier will determine how to confirm your seat if it wishes. Sometimes this may happen immediately, other times only a few minutes before the flight's departure. The order of the waitlist is determined by the carrier privately, but your Executive Club status will push you towards the front of the queue. Many cheap fares do not allow waitlisting.

Differences for non-BA airlines
  • Some carriers (those using Sabre such as AA) only show a maximum of 7 available seats (not 9). Others only show a maximum of 5.
  • Some carriers use "L" instead of "0" (e.g., CL DL YL) to indicate you may waitlist for the seat. This tends to happen when the entire flight is on a list basis.
Print Wikipost

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Ba executive club
Hey guys,
Just wondering if someone would be kind enough to check these flights out for me
BA2277 LGW-LAS 19/11 - currently wt+ ( t class)
BA274 LAS-LHR 26/11 - currently wt+ ( w class)

Was thinking of checking for an avios upgrade (wifes 40th) but not able to process online. be handy to know possible availability before i call.

I'd really appreciate any help possible
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Thanks inside sources telling me 6315 overbooked in Y by 19 and J has 23 spare seats, so will hold off on AUP on BA6315. BA6312 is showing as 5 seats in J but 14 spare in economy, so might go for AUP. Who knows will ask ticket desk for loads and make a decision off that when in DUR, CPT I'm just gunna wing it and hope. I know also there is only 8 elites on 6315 flight, not sure on exact ratio, but reckon most will be bronze.

Thanks agin
23 are the empty J seats currently on the seat map but they don't necessarily correspond to the available seat (which is not the sum of the business class fare availabilities....). Just thought it was worth to mention!
The 6315 is definitely busier in the back than in the front atm so definitely possible an op-up!
Happy flying
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Owen Thornhill
Hey guys,
Just wondering if someone would be kind enough to check these flights out for me
BA2277 LGW-LAS 19/11 - currently wt+ ( t class)
BA274 LAS-LHR 26/11 - currently wt+ ( w class)

Was thinking of checking for an avios upgrade (wifes 40th) but not able to process online. be handy to know possible availability before i call.

I'd really appreciate any help possible
So here's the load
BA 2277 - 19Nov - J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
BA 274 - 26Nov - F5 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I4 W2 E0 T0 Y1 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

There is on the avios upgrade side, there're at least 2seats available on the 2277 but unfortunately none on the way back!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Pelu
23 are the empty J seats currently on the seat map but they don't necessarily correspond to the available seat (which is not the sum of the business class fare availabilities....). Just thought it was worth to mention!
The 6315 is definitely busier in the back than in the front atm so definitely possible an op-up!
Happy flying
Who knows, but we will see and hear for the beep! Mate works in load control for Kulula, but has access to BA loads as well he nows tells me! Comair run BA and Kulula in South Africa.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:45 am

Thanks Pelu, Definitely food for thought.
I think I might give them a call and see what they say.
Might complain a little as they have already re-routed our return 3 times already.

Appreciate the help
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:48 am

Just on the return flight. if im reading this correctly it looks like the WT might be full on the way back.
Maybe possiblities of an upgrade closer to the time.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:53 am

Who knows, but we will see and hear for the beep! Mate works in load control for Kulula, but has access to BA loads as well he nows tells me! Comair run BA and Kulula in South Africa.
I see! I learn something new every day.
If there's an overbooking of 19 and they are still selling seats, it's either a lot of up-ups or they are betting on plenty of no-show/last minute changes. either way, pretty good chances for you then!!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Owen Thornhill
Just on the return flight. if im reading this correctly it looks like the WT might be full on the way back.
Maybe possiblities of an upgrade closer to the time.
yes, you are correct indeed. it's already very full behind and pretty empty in front
A nice complain and some moanings might just complete the work
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:00 am

Well, since i work as a travel industry contact centre , i might break out some of our insider secret handshakes and codes and see what i can do. lol

thanks again for everything. of course if im successful i will update
Pelu likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Good evening fellow FTers,

Please could somebody get the flight loads for:

BA1386 LHR-MAN 16/11
BA1600 MAN-PHL 16/11
BA6541 PHL-SFO 16/11

Yes, I know it is a very stupid route to get to SFO from LHR, but am flying in WT and wanted to maximise my TPs for the route.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Here's the load:
F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y5 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Thank you! Potentially more carnage at the gate then - on BA257 last night it was oversold in every class and they were downgrading people from all classes and bumping some Y off altogether. Was very dramatic!

Last edited by IslingtonFlyer; Nov 12, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Good evening fellow FTers,

Please could somebody get the flight loads for:

BA1386 LHR-MAN 16/11
BA1600 MAN-PHL 16/11
BA6541 PHL-SFO 16/11

Yes, I know it is a very stupid route to get to SFO from LHR, but am flying in WT and wanted to maximise my TPs for the route.

Many thanks.
Here you go:
BA 1386
LHR 11/16/18 7:55 AM MAN 11/16/18 8:55 AM
J9 C6 D3 R0 I0 Y9 B8 H4 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G3

BA (AA) 1600
MAN 11/16/18 11:05 AM PHL 11/16/18 2:10 PM
J2 C1 D1 R1 I0 W7 E7 T6 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 N7 S7 O7 Q7

BA (AA) 6541
PHL 11/16/18 3:55 PM SFO 11/16/18 7:17 PM
J7 C7 D7 R7 I5 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 N5 S7 O3 Q5
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer

Thank you! Potentially more carnage at the gate then - on BA257 last night it was oversold in every class and they’re were downgrading people from all classes and bumping some Y off altogether. Was very dramatic!
I can only imagine...hang on tight to your seat!!! Good luck buddy
IslingtonFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I see! I learn something new every day.
If there's an overbooking of 19 and they are still selling seats, it's either a lot of up-ups or they are betting on plenty of no-show/last minute changes. either way, pretty good chances for you then!!
Comair are quite calculated, with such little flights compared to mainline BA I'm sure they have more room to really analyse their loads. Who knows, but will report back. I rate they will bump all elites up and a few non-elites if everyones pitches as business cabin is virtual empty via the seatmap ( i know that is no sign) but with mate saying 23 spots in club then who knows maybe J has only one confirmed for J as there are only 23 seats left in club. Bizarre as they are still selling at H fare bucket not even Y or B for economy.

Time will tell!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:45 pm

Comair are quite calculated, with such little flights compared to mainline BA I'm sure they have more room to really analyse their loads. Who knows, but will report back. I rate they will bump all elites up and a few non-elites if everyones pitches as business cabin is virtual empty via the seatmap ( i know that is no sign) but with mate saying 23 spots in club then who knows maybe J has only one confirmed for J as there are only 23 seats left in club. Bizarre as they are still selling at H fare bucket not even Y or B for economy.

Time will tell!
Very bizarre but I'm very intrigue with the outcome although I'm sure you are right. They might have even considered the upgrades already...There are (were) 23 seats in club in the seat map indeed.
If I have another slow day I'll report back tomorrow, but in any case please do report back as I am very intrigued now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.