Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 29, 18, 3:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Wiki Link
This is community help desk which allows members to assist each other in finding out how many seats are available on any given flight.

If you wish to request availability for a specific flight, please state the date and origin/departure airport codes, not just the flight number.

Please also restrict requests to BA/oneworld flights - flights for other airlines may be removed to avoid cluttering the thread and taking it away from BAEC.

As of 15 Oct 2014 flightstats.com no longer displays flight availability.

Fare class availability can be queried in various ways*:
* Please update wiki if you know of any others.
** Origin of data concealed and probably unauthorised (so buyer beware)

What do the codes mean?
Suppose we have a result as F1 A0 J9 C7 D0 RC IC W9 E9 T4 Y9 BC HC ...

This means:
There is 1 seat in the F bucket for sale
There are 0 seats in the A and D bucket for sale, but you can join the waitlist in case seats get released later.
There are at least 9 seats in the J, W, E and Y buckets.
The R, I, B and H buckets are closed to waitlisting.

There are two important things to note about how to interpret these numbers that many people don't understand as it is very counter intuitive:
1) There is NO direct relation to the actual number of seats available on the specific flight. They only mean that the airline is willing to sell this many seats on that specific flight. The airline may intend to oversell seats or withhold seats from sale for many reasons.

2) In the example above, the results show W9 E9 T4 (which are all WT+ buckets). This does not mean that there are 9+9+4=22 seats for sale. Interpret these numbers as "there are at least 9 seats for sale in WT+". There could really be anywhere between 9 and 22 seats for sale - we just can't tell from the numbers the system gives us. Therefore, the conservative approach of assuming that there are at least 9 seats for sale is usually the best one.

What does the "C" mean?
Closed to waitlisting.
In the example above we have RC, IC, BC and HC. This is different to A0 and D0: The A and D buckets are "full" but you can apply to join their waitlists (if your fare permits waitlisting). With R, I, B and H you cannot even request a seat.

The carrier will determine how to confirm your seat if it wishes. Sometimes this may happen immediately, other times only a few minutes before the flight's departure. The order of the waitlist is determined by the carrier privately, but your Executive Club status will push you towards the front of the queue. Many cheap fares do not allow waitlisting.

Differences for non-BA airlines
  • Some carriers (those using Sabre such as AA) only show a maximum of 7 available seats (not 9). Others only show a maximum of 5.
  • Some carriers use "L" instead of "0" (e.g., CL DL YL) to indicate you may waitlist for the seat. This tends to happen when the entire flight is on a list basis.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jun 12, 18, 8:52 am

Programs: BA
Could someone tell me about BA2279 LGW-OAK on 14/6/18 please. Bit worried about a downgrade from J on a Amex 241.
Old Jun 12, 18, 8:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by muggle View Post

Thanks so much. So naff all chance of a POUG/AUP on the 268 home then?!

Who knows really as it's still a bit off and flights loads can change rapidly on that particular route especially on a Sunday. Speaking from experience in 4 flights in the last 5 months but on the face of it no is my hunch re a POUG or AUP but you could always ask at the check in desk on Sunday re an AUP and I'd OLCI at T-24.

Being Gold won't do you any harm for a possible op up and I've been very lucky to had have my 2 of those 4 flights from WT+ to CW.

What cabin are you in if I may ask?
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque View Post
Here you go...

BA 2205 LGW
14/06/18 12:00PUJ
14/06/18 16:05777
Su,T,Th
74% / 28mJ3 C3 D1 R1 I0 W7 E7 T7 Y9 B9 H9 K9
M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
Brilliant thank you- so does this mean that at this stage there are at least 3 empty seats in CW?
We are trying to decide whether to pay to select seats or not that’s all.

how is PUJ to LGW 24th June BA2204?
Many thanks
Nat
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by London86 View Post
Could someone tell me about BA2279 LGW-OAK on 14/6/18 please. Bit worried about a downgrade from J on a Amex 241.
Here you go...

BA 2279 LGW
14/06/18 10:20OAK
14/06/18 13:25777
Th
77% / 14mJ9 C8 D6 R6 I0 W6 E5 T4 Y9 B9 H9 K9
M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:11 am

Here you go...

BA 2279 LGW
14/06/18 10:20OAK
14/06/18 13:25777
Th
77% / 14mJ9 C8 D6 R6 I0 W6 E5 T4 Y9 B9 H9 K9
M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
Thanks very much for that. From my reading it is quite busy for that route but we should be ok. What do you think?
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Tilly1622 View Post

Brilliant thank you- so does this mean that at this stage there are at least 3 empty seats in CW?
We are trying to decide whether to pay to select seats or not that’s all.

how is PUJ to LGW 24th June BA2204?
Many thanks
Nat
Hi Nat,

What the numbers mean are how many tickets BA is selling in each ticket selling class. CW is covered by:
C – Discount Club
D – Discount Club
I – Discount Club
J – Full Fare Club
R – Discount Club (used to be Concorde!)

So the numbers I shared earlier, J3 C3 D1 R1 I0, means that when I ran the search BA were selling 8 CW tickets across the various ticket classes. This is obviously point in time and can change as either tickets are sold, upgrades are purchased etc.

Here's 2204...

BA 2204 PUJ
24/06/18 18:50LGW
25/06/18 8:10777
Su,T
70% / 31mJ9 C9 D9 R9 I4 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9
M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O8 G8
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:18 am

Thanks very much for that. From my reading it is quite busy for that route but we should be ok. What do you think?
My view is that it's looking reasonably busy but I wouldn't expect you to be downgraded, particularly as there are fewer tickets being sold in WT+
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:20 am

Fab thank you- I think we will risk waiting until check in opens tomorrow 👍🏼
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:22 am

I think you may be worrying/overthinking this too much re being on a 241 and being downgraded, extremely rare indeed.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I think you may be worrying/overthinking this too much re being on a 241 and being downgraded, extremely rare indeed.
Ok, was just expecting a reasonably empty flight as I understood it isn't the most popular route. Am sure it will all be fine though. Thanks for your help guys.
PETER01 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Who knows really as it's still a bit off and flights loads can change rapidly on that particular route especially on a Sunday. Speaking from experience in 4 flights in the last 5 months but on the face of it no is my hunch re a POUG or AUP but you could always ask at the check in desk on Sunday re an AUP and I'd OLCI at T-24.

Being Gold won't do you any harm for a possible op up and I've been very lucky to had have my 2 of those 4 flights from WT+ to CW.

What cabin are you in if I may ask?
Thank you - I’m WTP outbound then Y return...on the full one sadly. Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 12, 18, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by muggle View Post

Thank you - I’m WTP outbound then Y return...on the full one sadly. Fingers crossed!

More a chance of an op up on both possibly and fingers crossed for you! There's always this thread to report if you do.

Return - 70 A/K or 80 A/K are best seats I'd say or 25D downstairs.

So - who got a free upgrade this week?
muggle likes this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi Nat,

What the numbers mean are how many tickets BA is selling in each ticket selling class. CW is covered by:
C – Discount Club
D – Discount Club
I – Discount Club
J – Full Fare Club
R – Discount Club (used to be Concorde!)

So the numbers I shared earlier, J3 C3 D1 R1 I0, means that when I ran the search BA were selling 8 CW tickets across the various ticket classes.
Genuine question but are you sure they sum like that? I've always interpreted it as being (in this case) 3 club tickets available? As in for full price 3 are available but we'd sell all 3 at a bit of a discount ("c" class) or 1 at a bigger discount (D or R). SO if someone went online to buy 3 tickets they'd find them priced at the "C " bucket and if they bought them then all the numbers would be zero.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAEC : GGL; HHonors : Diamond
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
Genuine question but are you sure they sum like that? I've always interpreted it as being (in this case) 3 club tickets available? As in for full price 3 are available but we'd sell all 3 at a bit of a discount ("c" class) or 1 at a bigger discount (D or R). SO if someone went online to buy 3 tickets they'd find them priced at the "C " bucket and if they bought them then all the numbers would be zero.
My understanding is that this is the tickets being sold at that particular time. So each time someone makes a purchase or cancels, then all of the available booking classes will be updated based on the airlines revenue algorithm which will factor in not only how many physical seats available on the plane, but how much overselling they wish to do based on chances of existing seats being cancelled etc. etc. Quite often you might see that WT+ gets oversold when CW seats are available as they will then put through some upgrades, or similarly oversell CW if there is First availability etc.

All in all, I think these numbers can be a useful indicator but they are really a 'point in time' indication as no one knows what is going to happen next... who might cancel, who might buy more seats, what the airline might oversell etc. etc.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
More a chance of an op up on both possibly and fingers crossed for you! There's always this thread to report if you do.

Return - 70 A/K or 80 A/K are best seats I'd say or 25D downstairs.

So - who got a free upgrade this week?
Thanks, yes 80A nabbed!

Search this Thread