Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swaps and 'Free Seating' in First

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Seat Swaps and 'Free Seating' in First

Had a bizarre situation yesterday when I boarded a 777 via D1L to see a couple already sat comfortably in 1E & 1F in sleep suits drinking champagne. These happened to be our allocated seats as part of a group of 5...totalling 1A,1E,1F,1K & 2A.

I pointed this out to the crew and they immediately asked the couple to take their allocated seats. They were not happy that as 'First Class Passengers' they were split up and the fact that we were travelling as a group made no difference to them. They proceeded to say it was 'wrong' for them to be split up. Then the plot thickened....it appears that one of the passengers didn't actually hold an F ticket and was meant to be in J. Allegedly her husband had 'paid a lot of money' for her to be able to sit with him in F and swapped with the original passenger in J sorting out the 'transaction' between themselves. I didn't know this was allowed? Or I guess it doesn't make much difference to the crew?

The passengers then proceeded to get very drunk and decided they wanted breakfast at 20 minutes to landing and were disappointed when they were told it was a no...

I don't know how crew do it sometimes!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Ha ha! Agree about the poor crew...

...although it it does raise the question of how much money it would take to be persuaded to move to the CW dorm from F?

Ł2k would probably do it for me, but then I don't realy need the cash..
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm unclear as to whether the crew moved these passengers back to their original seats or they stayed sat in your seats?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Ha ha! Agree about the poor crew...

...although it it does raise the question of how much money it would take to be persuaded to move to the CW dorm from F?

Ł2k would probably do it for me, but then I don't realy need the cash..
I think I would do it for a little over Ł1k each way for a window seat in CW, few hundred pounds more would probably be required for other seats, if anyone is offering!

What a bizarre situation.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

The passengers were moved back to their seats. I wasn't budging from our assigned seats!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by tom139
The passengers were moved back to their seats. I wasn't budging from our assigned seats!
Both in F?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Both in F?
Yes the crew didn't seem bothered about the previous 'transaction' between the F passenger and the CW passenger.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Yes the crew didn't seem bothered about the previous 'transaction' between the F passenger and the CW passenger.
Fair enough.

Their logic would have severely challenged my patience, the audacity of some people!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A fine case of DYKWIA behaviour ... glad they were sent packing to their appropriate locations.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
A fine case of DYKWIA behaviour ... glad they were sent packing to their appropriate locations.
Do You Know Where I Am?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
... and swapped with the original passenger in J sorting out the 'transaction' between themselves.
Did you mean it was swapped with the original passenger in F (as opposed to J)?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would have asked to have the seats cleaned and restocked.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Good for you i certainly would not have allowed them to get away with it you assigned yourself that seat and quite rightly you wanted that seat. We had a similar situation this year LHR - SIN A380 a pax was sitting happily in my husbands seat with pjs on and drinking champagne, the CSD very diplomatically said to the pax, after seeing my husbands boarding pass, i will move your drink sir and things over to your seat. No fuss was made by the pax who obviously realised he was in the wrong seat Window, and was hoping that no one would be sitting there, as probably he could not assign himself a window seat when he booked his flight.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Good for you i certainly would not have allowed them to get away with it you assigned yourself that seat and quite rightly you wanted that seat. We had a similar situation this year LHR - SIN A380 a pax was sitting happily in my husbands seat with pjs on and drinking champagne, the CSD very diplomatically said to the pax, after seeing my husbands boarding pass, i will move your drink sir and things over to your seat. No fuss was made by the pax who obviously realised he was in the wrong seat Window, and was hoping that no one would be sitting there, as probably he could not assign himself a window seat when he booked his flight.
This sounds very familiar...the pax in question asked for their belongings to be 'transferred' to their 'new'...errr...allocated seats by the crew! They did it too...not sure I'd have had the patience.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm going to make a very naive remark as someone that has never travelled first. Given the small cabin and the staff ratio don't they walk you to the seat and do some sort of introduction, thus ensuring people are in the correct seats?
On two of my recent Finnair A350 flights in business, someone has immediately checked if I had travelled on that plane before and knew how everything worked, I'd sort of expect that in first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.