Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need help trying to figure out the best approach to an upcoming itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL

AA plt. Have an upcoming flight on AA/BA and am wondering how to best purchase and upgrade. Hope someone can offer advice on the following situation (am also posting under AA forum):

Flight:
MIA-LHR AA56 (AA metal)
LHR-NBO AA6653 (BA metal)

If I buy my flight through AA, can I upgrade one/both of the segments using Avios? Or will my only option be using AA miles?

Likewise, if I buy my flight through BA, can I upgrade one/both of the segments using AA miles? Or will my only option be using Avios?

Lastly, does BA offer upgrades at the gate for a flat fee the way KLM and AF sometimes do?

Ticket prices are negligibly similar through AA vs BA, and I have plenty of miles on both. Just trying to figure out my best approach for scoring an upgrade.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
You can't use Avios to upgrade a ticket issued on AA ticket stock (ticket number starting with 001...) even if it is a BA operated flight with a BA flight number. And using AA miles to upgrade is more restrictive than using Avios (assuming one has the correct ticket to start). My $.02: Book through BA and use the "plenty" of Avios to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.