Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Today's Cancelled BA207 to Miami in Club on 241 [8 Jul 2017]

Today's Cancelled BA207 to Miami in Club on 241 [8 Jul 2017]

Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
But, AA rebooked you as a courtesy although it had no obligation to do so and anything you accepted was purely voluntary. There will be no compensation of any kind under EC 261/2004 from BA as you took "self help".
That's not how I see the situation based on the first post. Maybe this is wrong, but my interpretation of the post is that BA re-booked the passengers on an AA flight, all in the economy cabin. The passengers then negotiated (albeit with AA) to change those seats, also in the economy cabin, to a different flight (one that fitted better with their plans). They were stuck though in the economy cabin as BA had already put downgraded them when they were first rebooked - and already at that point the EU261/2004 version of the downgrade refund should still apply.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If that is the case, OP would be able to claim a refund from BA for 75% of the cost of the paid ticket, the CW seat fees and the reduced APD. He would still ask, separately from an EC 261/2004 claim for the return of the 241 or something else in lieu.

BA would likely refuse to pay any cancellation (delay) compensation, but it is theoretically due based on delay into MIA.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
And remember to check your return flight doesn't magically disappear when the BA system thinks you've missed the outbound.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GinFizz
That's not how I see the situation based on the first post. Maybe this is wrong, but my interpretation of the post is that BA re-booked the passengers on an AA flight, all in the economy cabin. The passengers then negotiated (albeit with AA) to change those seats, also in the economy cabin, to a different flight (one that fitted better with their plans). They were stuck though in the economy cabin as BA had already put downgraded them when they were first rebooked - and already at that point the EU261/2004 version of the downgrade refund should still apply.
I'm the OP and that is absolutely correct. I was booked onto an AA flight in Y that would not work with my onward journey so I worked with the ground agent to find a solution. It was her idea to put us and one othe family on standby for an oversold flight. She was correct and we made the flight (in fact still on it - and yes it's been hellish). Thanks for your advice.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
And remember to check your return flight doesn't magically disappear when the BA system thinks you've missed the outbound.
Hadn't thought of that! Thanks for the heads Up!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:06 pm

So was this due to the strikes or was it mechanical? Flying MIA to LHR at the end of July. I see where there has been an extension of the disruption through Aug 1.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wesport
So was this due to the strikes or was it mechanical? Flying MIA to LHR at the end of July. I see where there has been an extension of the disruption through Aug 1.
I heard both today, but no-one could clarify for sure. The AA gate agent at LHR said it was to do with crew but I know no more than that.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
MIA is a MF route so you can be sure that BA would claim any delay was because of the strike. Not exceptional circumstances with BA these days but unfortunately the courts do still seem to see it that way, although a challenge in the current circumstances would be understandable.

The downgrade compensation or reimbursment is not affected by the exceptional circumstances rule and is always payable.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi all. I sent in my 'complaint' on Sunday regarding the downgrade etc and my pretty dire experience. I've heard not a peep from BA since apart from the acknowledgement email with a case number. When should I realistically expect to hear from them, do we think? Seems little point in prodding them if 4 days is considered the norm!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Give it three weeks before chasing up (by phone).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Today, after a prompt via Twitter. I received an offer of £300 cash 'downgrade' compensation plus the reimbursement of my paid fees. No talk of 75% of the paid seat, no talk of my 2-4-1 voucher back as a gesture of goodwill.

My instinct is to say no thank you.

As a point of clarity, when we say 75% if the cost of the 'paid seat', do we mean the price that I would have paid in cash for the seat/s had we not been redeeming Avios? And how does it work with the second Avios seat? Clearly there is a value associate with the voucher?

Some advice before I go back to them would be great. Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by thegamebird
Today, after a prompt via Twitter. I received an offer of £300 cash 'downgrade' compensation plus the reimbursement of my paid fees. No talk of 75% of the paid seat, no talk of my 2-4-1 voucher back as a gesture of goodwill.

As a point of clarity, when we say 75% if the cost of the 'paid seat', do we mean the price that I would have paid in cash for the seat/s had we not been redeeming Avios? And how does it work with the second Avios seat? Clearly there is a value associate with the voucher?

Thanks for re-posting and keeping us up to speed thegamebird. I'm not an expert on the downgrade compensation side of things but as an ex-regular on the NAS run, thought I'd mention DL/VS via ATL. I'm not sure how much you're wedded to OW, but I always found it a good alternative to the BA direct. The hop from ATL to NAS isn't long, I like the connection experience in ATL (One Flew South!) and it avoids the hell-hole that is MIA.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84
Thanks for re-posting and keeping us up to speed thegamebird. I'm not an expert on the downgrade compensation side of things but as an ex-regular on the NAS run, thought I'd mention DL/VS via ATL. I'm not sure how much you're wedded to OW, but I always found it a good alternative to the BA direct. The hop from ATL to NAS isn't long, I like the connection experience in ATL (One Flew South!) and it avoids the hell-hole that is MIA.
Hey. Also a regular as the husband lives here. We do different routings at times. I use BA as they're convenient and have good reach, but I have to say as the years have passed my opinion, very sadly, has changed a lot. Thanks for the suggestion of passing through Atlanta - I'll certainly look into it for
some of our trips next year. Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by thegamebird

OP - If you mixed your submission between an EC 261/2004 claim and a comment on poor service, you are likely stuck in a different channel than the regulatory types who review the former. The former could is a binary decision and has nothing to do with customer service, simply that it happened in a certain way.

I would respond that you are pursuing an EC 261/2004 downgrade refund as well as a refund of the seat fees and the APD difference. You ought to be able to figure out the number that this represents from your e-ticket receipt and make the claim for that amount.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:20 am

Good to see a follow up post. I believe Tafflyer has already given the correct advice for compensation here: ie 75% of the Avios you paid for that sector plus 75% of the BA fees and all of your APD.

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Oh you poor thing. BA would have had to reroute you under similar conditions ie. in business class to your final destination. This, unfortunatley, as far as BA is concerned would be MIA. If they put you involuntarily into Y then you are entitled to recover 75% of the cost of your ticket in Avios and charges but not the taxes that are incurred by the flight you take. So, in a case like this you should recover 75% of your Avios, 75% of BA fees and all of the APD if it was charged.

AA have a more customer friendly policy on rerouting when missing a OneWorld connection on separate tickets and should reroute you free of charge when BA fails to get you to MIA in time.

I feel for your pain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.