Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does it cause a problem to keep checking award availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

I've been trying to book a WTP upgrade with avios to club world, JFK to LHR for September. There has and continues to be about zero availability. Does it hurt to check numerous times a day? Does it somehow trigger no results? Or am I paranoid?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Haha paranoid yes! It will or it won't become available - there's no evidence to suggest you're harming op yourself chances
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by carrington1
Or am I paranoid?
I'm not a doctor, but yes, probably.

You need to be checking not the upgrade area of MMB, but do a dummy booking for CW. Your best chance is in the 4 days or so before travel, even on the day of travel (so you may want to hang off OLCI). Availability is released once a day only at about 01:00 hrs BST or a bit before or after. Checking multiple times a day doesn't get really help, though it may improve your keyboard skills I suppose. Beyond that, attributing excess intelligence to BA's IT is considered somewhat eccentric around these parts.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It won't reduce your chances of getting availability, if that's what you mean.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate to dispute a cws fact but I have had availability open up tea time on two occasions in F to the Far East. This was unexpected and a great result
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I hate to dispute a cws fact but I have had availability open up tea time on two occasions in F to the Far East. This was unexpected and a great result
In the last few years, that would only happen if there was a BA IT glitch which delayed the Redemption updates. The update is definitely only once a day, and it's programmed for 00:00 GMT.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting thanks for the clarification, if it makes a difference, it was KUL and both times were whilst the route was still new..
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Maybe that was someone else releasing a prior booking?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for not flaming my paranoia!!!!!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by contractor
Maybe that was someone else releasing a prior booking?
No, if an Avios booking is released it doesn't go straight to the pool, however after the next midnight recalculation there is an extra strong chance of it being added to availability, particularly a long time out.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the last few years, that would only happen if there was a BA IT glitch which delayed the Redemption updates. The update is definitely only once a day, and it's programmed for 00:00 GMT.
I have been checking daily at 9am Singapore time for a WTP to Club upgrade SIN-LHR for about a month so no issue there.

Last Tuesday I checked again in the afternoon and suddenly found 2 seats on my flight. I did not expect the seats actually as I seen CWS his message before that it is released once a day.. but was happy to find it

To the OP, keep checking, I don't think BA has an algorytm that blocks release on flights that have been checked a lot.

Globalist
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:22 pm

Depending on how much you value your time I use the pro version of Expert Flyer to set up alerts (usually SIN-SYD overnight from WTP to CW) and then don't worry about it...
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Depending on how much you value your time I use the pro version of Expert Flyer to set up alerts (usually SIN-SYD overnight from WTP to CW) and then don't worry about it...
I thought that expert flyer doesn't show award availability for BA?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've had times when I've been checking for days and nothing.
Then check at say lunchtime and still nothing. Randomly look a couple of hours later and F has opened up on every flight that day or seats have appeared on the one specific flight that day you wanted.

Had one flight yesterday morning that had 5 reward seats. Popped out and then went to book one an hour and a half later and all gone. This morning the seats are back again (no mention of a number this time so possibly 9+ or whatever they decide to sell)

Used to have issues with train fares where every time you looked at something (possibly holding it), the price on any subsequent searches would increase due to reduced fare bucket availability.

Apart from that, a few searches in a day usually triggers that stupid captcha thing every time.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by prof
I thought that expert flyer doesn't show award availability for BA?
It does now, and has done for some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.