Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimal viable time in Las Vegas on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
As much as I disagree with you () I think there will always be a struggle to get return F to LAX, more so than LAS. I guess more chance to SFO and SJC sometimes..
Very much my anecdotal experience but F loads on SJC seem consistently quite light, I've got multiple of each of UUA, AUP and POUG from CW to F on that route. Maybe just my travel patterns but I've been consistently pleased by the outcome anyway...

I'm vaguely curious what the loads are like in each class
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended

Whatever you do decide, don't come here till Oct. I live here and it is miserable at the moment. As a Londoner I don't think it is normal when it is 110f most days. You won't be able to do anything outside!! Come anytime from Oct through April ^
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
If road trips are your thing perhaps consider an open-jaw and involve LAS or SFO too.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyer200
Assuming travelling direct with BA, what would be the minimum amount of time to make a trip to LAS worthwhile for a middle aged couple?

First time trip.

Travelling in First hopefully.

I'm not sure why your choice of carrier (or class of service) would matter in terms of how long you should spend in Las Vegas.

There is also an FT Las Vegas forum which might provide some different perspectives from those on this board.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:30 pm

I would include Las Vegas in a trip that included other sites (that several have mentioned). It is difficult not to like Las Vegas on a single visit but if you decide to return good luck to you!

I drove from LA to Phoenix which included Death Valley, Grand Canyon and other things. I enjoyed Las Vegas very much; it's amazing, but have no immediate plans to return.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Whatever you do decide, don't come here till Oct. I live here and it is miserable at the moment. As a Londoner I don't think it is normal when it is 110f most days. You won't be able to do anything outside!! Come anytime from Oct through April ^
SgtRyan is a Londoner so anything better than a cold wet is intolerable. Ignore him!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by apollo00
This is an annoyance on the various T3 routes, I've actually stopped bothering to fly F to CPT and YVR now partially as a result (and partially due to those routes seemingly also being saddled with the ropiest 744 BA can source on any given day). If you're making the trip at least partially for the F experience then I'd suggest a T5 based route.
Just got back from what should have been 5 night stay but due to cancelled flight on return, turned into a 6 night stay.

Was my 7th time there- I love it (late 30s) my parents mid 60s have been once and hated it.

if you are going and fancy a boating trip/swim/watersports in lake Mead PM me and will pass you on details of the nicest boat owner we used on our trip.

We flew 1st and were very happy with the experience. BA lounge food was an embarrassment and lounge generally was very hectic but apart from that was all very good.

Use the CX 1st lounge- not as good alcohol but a different level of relaxation.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback
Use the CX 1st lounge- not as good alcohol but a different level of relaxation.
I don't think I've been in the BA F lounge in T3 since CX reopened. My complaint is mainly that, given I can access CX F lounge regardless of booking class, between that and tired aircraft on those routes I don't really see a reason to spend more on F vs J.

First world problems though
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I've been 2 times in LAS and neither visit was with a direct flight. I really prefer to go via in LAX: the possibility of using AA 77W, or even BA 380, over he old 744 to me is worth a connection

Once there, there are a lot of things beyond gambling, like museums (the Neon museum was very nice!) and evening shows. In summer, or however when it's hot, a day at the hotel pool can be nice too
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:03 pm

if you are visiting for the shows then beware of "dark" nights

I'm not at all interested in gambling but visited for a week in February this year where the main objectives were to see Cher and Diana Ross who both happened to be appearing (at separate venues) in the same week. Those tickets were carefully researched and booked in advance. I then filled up the rest of my evenings by booking other shows locally. However, most of the big shows go "dark" for two or three evenings each week and I experienced a "feast or famine" scenario on more than one occasion. If you hava a particular show or shows in mind and are on a brief visit then I recommend that you plan carefully before fixing your travel dates.
Randeep likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm only a 5 hour drive away, so we go to Vegas multiple times a year and always have a good time. There's something for everyone, and the food options are endless. As far as Cirque goes, you mentioned Michael Jackson but do consider "O" at the Bellagio. It's stellar!

But that said, 3 or 4 nights is my optimal Vegas visit. The glitz and expense starts to wear on me after that.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
My first time there (6 years ago) was 6 nights. Then my subsequent trip was 4 nights. Then my subsequent five trips were 3 nights.

My next trip is 2 nights (and this is coming from the Middle East). Just enough time to hit Omnia and XS, party hard, and then get the hell out.

It is a place like no other with the absolute best nightclubs and restaurants in the world.

I can't wait to go back.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:42 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Definitely go to the Grand Canyon. Though, I would suggest overnighting there. The day trip is a LOT of driving in one day and very little actual time at the canyon. Plus you'll miss the spectacular sunset/sunrise over the canyon.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
If road trips are your thing perhaps consider an open-jaw and involve LAS or SFO too.
LAS to DEN for the long way, Zion, Bryce, Canyonland, Arches, Dead Horse State park (Goblin Valley and Kodachrome state park too), plus through the rockies and perhaps visit Rockies on the way there (last stage can be Amtraked).

Down side of this is that its too cold in the rockies except for summer, and too hot in Vegas and first few parks. Ok, rockies not too cold, but still risk of snowstorms in April.

A loop around LAS to above, then coming down via Monument Valley and Page is another alternative, can be done spring and autumn (maybe even winter, not sure of the higher spots).

LAS to PHX open jawed isn't that far, but casting out you could visit Laughlin, Grand Canyon West, Grand Canyon South, Page, Monument valley, Sedonia and then to Phoenix.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Becman
I'm not at all interested in gambling but visited for a week in February this year where the main objectives were to see Cher and Diana Ross who both happened to be appearing (at separate venues) in the same week. Those tickets were carefully researched and booked in advance. I then filled up the rest of my evenings by booking other shows locally. However, most of the big shows go "dark" for two or three evenings each week and I experienced a "feast or famine" scenario on more than one occasion. If you hava a particular show or shows in mind and are on a brief visit then I recommend that you plan carefully before fixing your travel dates.
A bit of understanding is needed here, and once explained you see it.

Vegas is a weekend city. You can get there Sunday and leave Thursday and get a rather sedate experience, but arrive on Thursday and leave Monday, you get a whirlwind of activity. People start turning up Thursday. Mainly turn up Friday, when its in full swing and most crazy. A bunch actually go home Saturday because they've lost all their money and Friday was too much. Gets a lot quieter Sunday, but slowly goes back to normal.

Consequently the shows work to overlap that, so they'll do like Weds to Saturday or Friday to Tuesday, giving either slim pickings, or great bargains, if you do a quieter trip.

Hotel prices shoot up Friday Saturday too.

Nowadays if I do Vegas, I do the strip during the week, arriving perhaps Tuesday. And go and stay downtown for the weekend...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.