Adding a baby [to an existing booking]

Old Jul 5, 17, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Adding a baby [to an existing booking]

Missus has just added a baby to the family so I will need to add him to a flight that we are all taking in October.
Can I do this online or will I have to make a call?
Also if I remember correctly there was a 10% of my ticket price charge to add our previous children when they were born so does this still stand & is it 10% of what I originally paid or 10% at the present price?
Old Jul 5, 17, 11:16 pm

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
I had to call. Can't remember re the original or current price aspect, sorry.
Fairly unlikely but just as a flag for all. Note that some airlines notably LATAM don't allow lap infants in Business class, they must pay full fare / avios and have a seat. Caught us out when adding our baby to an existing avios booking through BA call centre, who evidently didn't know either. Cue major flap in Sydney.
Old Jul 6, 17, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
You do need to call and it is 10% of the adult fare. When I last did this a few years back there was the option to pay 10% of the Avios instead, not sure if that still exists.
Old Jul 6, 17, 2:32 am

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Yes, just call and they will add them. You won't be able to check in online and also make sure when you check in that you leave plenty of time as there is a fair bit of back office processing with issuing tickets that needs to be done at check in(outbound and return). It also needs someone with advanced knowladge/manager to do it, so can cause much confusion intially.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by highlander100 View Post
Yes, just call and they will add them. You won't be able to check in online and also make sure when you check in that you leave plenty of time as there is a fair bit of back office processing with issuing tickets that needs to be done at check in(outbound and return). It also needs someone with advanced knowladge/manager to do it, so can cause much confusion intially.
It doesnt require advanced knowledge/manager to do it but for a new agent it might take a little bit of time.

You will pay ten percent of an adult fare plus taxes or ten percent of adult avios and taxes.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I did exactly this last year - call up; 10% of cash fare (or Avios, if the adults are already on an award booking: no need for separate award availability for baby, unless you are trying to get them their own seat).

Do check in MMB before the day of travel that the e-ticket number has come through for the baby - mine did not, and a quick phone call solved this (and probably saved a lot of faff at the airport).

Turn up a little early to allow some extra process time at the airport the first time round - though we had no delay or problem at all when checking in with her for the first time.

We were dreading the packing/checking in/security process with a baby, but in fact if you do your research quickly and know the rules it's pretty simple and nothing to be worried about: granted, we have only done LCY and First Wing with her, but the process re: prams, milk (liquids) and the rest is the same for everyone. The BA website has a good section on travel with kids which should answer many of your questions.

Overall, I have been pretty impressed by BA's handling of all things baby-related: have not found the travel with her especially stressful. I suspect that's about to change as she is now old enough not to just want to sleep on planes, but that's another story....

Congratulations!
Old Jul 7, 17, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
I did have a ruin with the CSD over an extension seatbelt for my boy.
We flew in CW a couple of days after his 2nd birthday.
He was very small for his age & I asked for one for take-off which wasn't a problem but refused for landing.
He's a fidgety little fella & it's nigh on impossible to tie-in a 2 year old if they don't want to sit still for the amount of time it takes to land at LHR on long hauls.
She said it was against 'elf&safety' to which I pointed out that the existing standard seatbelt did not hold him in any way, shape or form so it was more dangerous from an 'elf&safety' point to leave him like that rather than letting his mother hold him with the extension belt.
She was having none of it because he was 2, even if was by a matter of 48 hours.
The aircon then started dripping water onto my seat which I pointed out was an infraction of 'elf&safety' & that maybe I could be moved to my son's seat & hold him with aid from the extension.
She looked at me as though I'd asked her if was ok to light up a crack pipe.
Most certainly the most curt BA staffer that I've come across on a flight & I assumed that she had no children of her own because they usually bend over backwards for you when travelling with toddlers & babies in my experience & not start quoting the rule book at you.
Old Jul 7, 17, 8:47 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Nightbus to Dalson View Post
I did have a ruin with the CSD over an extension seatbelt for my boy.
We flew in CW a couple of days after his 2nd birthday.
He was very small for his age & I asked for one for take-off which wasn't a problem but refused for landing.
He's a fidgety little fella & it's nigh on impossible to tie-in a 2 year old if they don't want to sit still for the amount of time it takes to land at LHR on long hauls.
She said it was against 'elf&safety' to which I pointed out that the existing standard seatbelt did not hold him in any way, shape or form so it was more dangerous from an 'elf&safety' point to leave him like that rather than letting his mother hold him with the extension belt.
She was having none of it because he was 2, even if was by a matter of 48 hours.
The aircon then started dripping water onto my seat which I pointed out was an infraction of 'elf&safety' & that maybe I could be moved to my son's seat & hold him with aid from the extension.
She looked at me as though I'd asked her if was ok to light up a crack pipe.
Most certainly the most curt BA staffer that I've come across on a flight & I assumed that she had no children of her own because they usually bend over backwards for you when travelling with toddlers & babies in my experience & not start quoting the rule book at you.
As a parent and passenger, I think it's entirely correct that the CSD has no discretion on the matter, and that they resorted to being curt with you as you appear to have given them no other option.
Old Jul 7, 17, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by pauldb View Post
As a parent and passenger, I think it's entirely correct that the CSD has no discretion on the matter, and that they resorted to being curt with you as you appear to have given them no other option.
there was discretion though - if you read the post he was given an extension for take off, but refused at landing.
Old Jul 7, 17, 9:16 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by albpenny View Post
there was discretion though - if you read the post he was given an extension for take off, but refused at landing.
I'm pretty sure that was a mistake, not discretion - which doesn't justify repeating the error.
Old Jul 7, 17, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When it comes to defined safety rules, the staff should be enforcing the rules and not deciding for themselves what safety rules they would like to apply

The member at the start was wrong in allowing the request, the other was properly doing her job. I doubt that the crewmember started being 'curt' until the passenger continued on about the same issue
Old Jul 7, 17, 9:23 am

I have sympathies with these cases where common sense shows it'd be safer to hold a 2yr2day old rather than have them slip out of a seat. But where do you draw the line?

2yr2weeks? 2yr2months? A small 3 year old?

In these cases I prefer that CC apply the rules. If they're guidelines, then fair enough, appeal for discretion. But asking a reluctant CC to break rules is inappropriate.
Old Jul 7, 17, 9:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Others seem to have given the answer, but just a quick note of Congratulations!

Don't forget to sign the little one up for an Executive Club account!

Safe travels,

M
Old Jul 7, 17, 11:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Others seem to have given the answer, but just a quick note of Congratulations!

Don't forget to sign the little one up for an Executive Club account!

Safe travels,

M
And claim your BAEC extension.
Old Dec 4, 18, 2:13 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread...
i recently added an infant to a booking, the agent said my daughter has been added but he was unable to finalise the booking and that he would forward to ticketing and I would hear within 24hrs. He took my credit card details, on MMB I can see they have been added but no money has been taken? Can I assume if they are added in MMB all is ok?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: