Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I have never flown with just carry on...what do I do?

Old Jul 5, 17, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld

As stated in the title, I've have only ever flown from LHR T5 with bags that need to be checked and I have gone to the appropriate check-in area, but this time I will have only my carry on and a printed BP (or the BA app if they ever get that working again!). So, where do I go? Can I just go straight to security and scan my BP, or is there a carry-on only desk that needs to check my travel docs beforehand.
Old Jul 5, 17, 5:48 pm

Depends where you're going and what passport you have?

If travelling to EU and with an EU passport, you can go straight to security. No one looks at your passport until the gate.
Old Jul 5, 17, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm British travelling to JFK under ESTA, but my wife is Brazilian (Brazilian passport) with a valid US visa vignette so I guess that would need looking at.
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:15 pm

You'll have to go to one of the visa check desks, or any ordinary check-in/bag drop desk if you see one empty.
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

So are you saying there are special visa check desks? I was hoping for this, rather than simply joining line of people with bags to check, in a situation where I don't have any (bags).
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil View Post
I was hoping there was a dedicated quick-fire desk for this, rather than simply joining line of people with bags to check, in a situation where I don't have any (bags).
There is. There are visa check desks right by the entrance to North & South Security points - or, as also suggested, you can use any staffed Bag Drop desk where an agent will also be able to verify your documents.
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Great, thanks to all for your responses.
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil View Post
So are you saying there are special visa check desks? I was hoping for this, rather than simply joining line of people with bags to check, in a situation where I don't have any (bags).
Yes those would be the visa desks - on the left of zones B and C if coming up from the Tube/North end, or in Zone G at the South end.
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Interesting and informative thread.

I assumed you just headed straight through security if you had a boarding pass.....now I know you don't. What I'd really like to know is how on earth do you travel long haul HBO with a South American wife in tow?
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
You would head straight through security if traveling on an ESTA and you had already printed your boarding pass, it's just when there's a visa involved the carrier has to check your paperwork first.

I didn't know that the first time and was concerned why my BP wouldn't activate the gate at security!
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
What I'd really like to know is how on earth do you travel long haul HBO with a South American wife in tow?
With great difficulty! In truth, we will be in the UK for about a month, but I've just bagged some sale tickets to NYC so we will take 4 days out to visit NYC before heading back to Rio. It's a good opportunity, as there are very few direct flights to NY from Rio and they are really expensive. I doubt we would ever go there were it not for this deal.
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:50 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
The USA is going through one of those periods where they sometimes make people go through the 'did you pack your own bags?' 'have they left your sight?' circus of fools routine while land side.

So do ask in the check-in area if Question Time is on for the day. I know that Sky Team partners put a small sticker on the back of the passport after the quick screening is complete, and security and gate agents further down the line do check for the sticker before letting you proceed further.
Old Jul 6, 17, 1:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The USA is going through one of those periods where they sometimes make people go through the 'did you pack your own bags?' 'have they left your sight?' circus of fools routine while land side.

So do ask in the check-in area if Question Time is on for the day. I know that Sky Team partners put a small sticker on the back of the passport after the quick screening is complete, and security and gate agents further down the line do check for the sticker before letting you proceed further.
This doesn't happen on BA. No questions, no stickers.
Old Jul 6, 17, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Doc check with ESTA

Originally Posted by PeterNem View Post
You would head straight through security if traveling on an ESTA and you had already printed your boarding pass, it's just when there's a visa involved the carrier has to check your paperwork first.
My experience is different: going to the US with an ESTA and boarding pass ready, trying to enter T5 security from landside, I was sent back to the desk to confirm (by scanning the passport and a few keystrokes) that the passport I was carrying matched the one I had checked in online with.
Old Jul 6, 17, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by PeterNem View Post
That's not the case. I've travelled probably a hundred times or more long haul HBO from T5 and have had to have a 'visa' check every time even when travelling on a UK passport and using an ESTA.

Last edited by opalfruit; Jul 6, 17 at 3:24 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: