Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Reduced Service'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In any event, if there is something you wish, ask CC for it. Either a passing CC member or via the call button.

Reduced service may simply mean less proactive service, but it generally does not affect meeting passenger requests.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by sts603

That said, I find it hard to believe that BA cut the pre-dinner drink service and Club Kitchen out due to having one less crew member!

It could well be a few more than one less crew member, and the crew may not have all been usual crew.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
We had reduceed service back in Feb on the upper deck of the 744 and indeed there was no pre dinner drinks run and the starter and dessert were all plated at once with the main in CW. Was told they had minimum crew. Flight was full and the extra jumpseats normally used by crew had staff travellers on them - which when its a reduced crew flight seems to just add to the crew workload. Was in 62k and had a guy and his teenage son at the end of the bed at the jumpseats there after take off and until just before landing.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It may have been there was the minimum 787 crew complement of 6 crew operating the flight across the 3 cabins hence the reduced onboard service. This should have been explained though.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ANstar
We had reduceed service back in Feb on the upper deck of the 744 and indeed there was no pre dinner drinks run and the starter and dessert were all plated at once with the main in CW. Was told they had minimum crew. Flight was full and the extra jumpseats normally used by crew had staff travellers on them - which when its a reduced crew flight seems to just add to the crew workload. Was in 62k and had a guy and his teenage son at the end of the bed at the jumpseats there after take off and until just before landing.
That's really inappropriate. I would have asked for comp on that.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Comp for having someone on the jumpseat near 62K or the reduced service?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
That's really inappropriate. I would have asked for comp on that.
I asked the CSM if they could be moved (spare jumpseats downstairs) but they declined saying they would get in the way for their service. I left it at that.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
I asked the CSM if they could be moved (spare jumpseats downstairs) but they declined saying they would get in the way for their service. I left it at that.
We had a guy in the jump seat between F and J returning from MIA in April on a full flight. Poor bloke was freezing by the door, wrapped in blankets. Trouble is, the F cabin was sweltering hot at the same time! No one was comfortable.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Sorry, my response was based on this being a CC-initiated work slow down.
I highly doubt this. The MF crew working at the moment are mostly the keen and dedicated ones who do care about customers - that's why they've turned up for work during the strike. It just shows that the BA line that 'all flights are operating' is just spin, and there's still major disruption to service. On a 787 the minimum legal crew is 6 and lots of flights have been going out with this (usually it's significantly more), plus some of the crew will be inexperienced and/or come from standby. The service is by nature going to be reduced in these circumstances.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
What can be the reasoning for reduced service on this flight? It is neither very short nor leaves very late at night (departure 12:30 (ex-LHR) or 10:30 (ex-ICN), flight time 11h or 12h respectively).

Edit: oh, strike action. Well, all the more reason not to fly BA at all until they sort out their industrial relations.

Last edited by flatlander; Jul 4, 2017 at 9:32 am Reason: add strike info
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
The MF crew working at the moment are mostly the keen and dedicated ones who do care about customers - that's why they've turned up for work during the strike.
All crew care about their customers and are dedicated to their jobs.

Last edited by Down Low; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:22 am
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:48 am

Wow, 6 crew on a 787. How many are there normally? I know it's the safety minimum but it must for service it must make things slow and difficult. I mean an A320 will normally have four and often five.

Would it be two crew for Club and four for WTP/WT?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
What can be the reasoning for reduced service on this flight? It is neither very short nor leaves very late at night (departure 12:30 (ex-LHR) or 10:30 (ex-ICN), flight time 11h or 12h respectively).

Edit: oh, strike action. Well, all the more reason not to fly BA at all until they sort out their industrial relations.
I think it's to do with breaks. The service needs to be finished by a certain time so crew can get their breaks out of the way. They could just make everything slower and do the full service but then too much time would elapse before they had finished the whole rotation of breaks.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Wow, 6 crew on a 787. How many are there normally? I know it's the safety minimum but it must for service it must make things slow and difficult. I mean an A320 will normally have four and often five.

Would it be two crew for Club and four for WTP/WT?
I imagine it's to be decided on the day, e.g. based on load, but if it were me I'd probably have 3+3, two to run the galleys and two in each cabin serving. How on earth you'd cobble together a service on a 4-class 789 with 6 crew is beyond me, I imagine it would be 1 in F, 2 each in J/Y and one 'floating'. That would be horrific though.

I think it's 10 normally on a 789 and 8 on a 788? But could be wrong - I'm sure someone will be along to confirm soon enough.

The comparison with Airbuses is interesting... BA's 787s carry only very slightly more passengers than their A321s (216 vs 205)... so as a way to 'increase long haul capacity' they're not especially efficient!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think the OP should write to Ba and seek an explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.