Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hand luggage vs Checking It In - Transitting through ORD this weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand luggage vs Checking It In - Transitting through ORD this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by batteryboy_uk
OP here - many thanks for the info everyone....it definitely reaffirms that I should take hand luggage only, make use of global entry, and not dally around too much in getting across to the terminal for my domestic flight. I've been spoiled by taking too much trips through Helsinki on AY and making 20min connections to the Far East, but this is my first time connecting in my destination country and having to do the full border/customs process. At least on the way home I have a direct flight from LAX :-)
Just make sure to check in on the ORD Terminal 5 thread in the USA-Midwest forum for the status of the GE exit line. With no checked bags, you can easily be waiting for the ATS shuttle to T3 within 15 - 20 minutes of arrival.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:27 am

I think the issue here is the time needed for bags to be delivered.

The OP has Global Entry so immigration queues shouldn't be an issue. If HBO, she can use the special, quick immigration process and go straight to T3.

If bags are checked, I suspect the OP will fly through immigration and be standing at a baggage carousel waiting for the bag to be unloaded from one of many on a 747.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TKM&S Elite
Successfully completed my connection through ORD. The 1hr 40mins turned in to 1hr 10mins because of delays, and by the time we had got to the gate and I had deplanned I had 50mins before scheduled departure. An express connection card was waiting for me, and whilst they had booked me onto a flight the following day as a back up, I didn't want to accept defeat :-)

5mins walk to Global Entry, then 2mins through that as there was no queue, straight through customs, straight onto a train to T3 that departed 30secs after I jumped on, straight through TSA Pre....and I was at the gate for my connection to SAN 10mins before they started calling boarding.

I don't know whether the Express Connection would have got me through quicker, but as I headed to Global Entry the queues looked long, so I was definitely pleased with my investment from 18months ago. Likewise, I have no idea if I had needed to collect bags and drop them again if I would have made the flight. Instinct says no, so thanks again for the advice fellow FTers.

Direct flight home from LAX should be a lot more straight forward!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by batteryboy_uk
Successfully completed my connection through ORD. The 1hr 40mins turned in to 1hr 10mins because of delays, and by the time we had got to the gate and I had deplanned I had 50mins before scheduled departure. An express connection card was waiting for me, and whilst they had booked me onto a flight the following day as a back up, I didn't want to accept defeat :-)

5mins walk to Global Entry, then 2mins through that as there was no queue, straight through customs, straight onto a train to T3 that departed 30secs after I jumped on, straight through TSA Pre....and I was at the gate for my connection to SAN 10mins before they started calling boarding.

I don't know whether the Express Connection would have got me through quicker, but as I headed to Global Entry the queues looked long, so I was definitely pleased with my investment from 18months ago. Likewise, I have no idea if I had needed to collect bags and drop them again if I would have made the flight. Instinct says no, so thanks again for the advice fellow FTers.

Direct flight home from LAX should be a lot more straight forward!
I am glad it worked out for you. You were very lucky to get a train immediately. The interval between trains can be up to (and possibly over) 10 minutes.

Over the last 15 years I have arrived at ORD T5 at least 60 - 70 times. I usually check bags as ORD is my home airport and I am not connecting. The fastest I remember getting my bag is something like 10 or 15 minutes. The longest was something like 45 minutes. If you are checking bags and connecting from an international arrival at ORD, I would not recommend a connection shorter than 2 hours and would prefer 2.5 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.