Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Banana4321
Beergate: A Summary

Two males were observed removing free beer (estimated to be c.20 cans of an unknown brewer) from the First Lounge (South) at London Heathrow's Terminal 5 on Friday 30th June 2017 between the hours of noon and approximately 17:00. The two men are white and probably have in excess of 1600 Tier Points.

200 outraged posts on an airline-related online forum then wasted at least 1000 man-hours of British industry at a cost of over Ł100 due to middle-ranking executives having not much better to do than comment on this feat of potential drinking whilst being flown.

Anybody with any news on this treasonable crime should not bother calling CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111. A reward of 6 cans of beer is available should the original beer cans be recovered.

Police are uninterested in talking to anyone in the vicinity at the time.

Any BREAKING NEWS on this front-page story will be added to this wiki immediately it happens
Print Wikipost

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
That term "otherwise could be using" is nebulous.
Taking one bottle of water or one can of drink is something the lounge has factored in as part of normal consumption... I could either down it in 20 seconds, or I can take it with me. Taking 20, that's not for immediate consumption as part of my journey, the 19 were for other passengers. The lounge has to replace those and incur a cost which is over and above the normal consumption allocated in the lounge.

I've taken a bottle of water out of the lounge before, my diabetic mother has taken a cheese roll. I don't consider that theft, although it might contravene the lounge rules.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: GGL
I hope there is no video of the lime voleur.

Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by hungry
I think it's theft that BA used to give me a beer in my airline ticket price, but stopped doing that without reducing the cost of the airline ticket price. I recoup their theft by taking a beer from their lounge to drink onboard instead.
Pret recently decreased the size of my iced coffee but charge me the same price. By your logic, I can justify stealing a food item every few days to recoup the 'theft'?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mixbury
I hope there is no video of the lime voleur.
Guilty as charged also on that one ... Now, swap that tonic for some soda water and we are talking.
Ginfizz.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum
On a similar note, I just witnessed someone emptying what must have been a quarter of a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue into his glass and then adding Coke. No video, sadly.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by OWBA
On a similar note, I just witnessed someone emptying what must have been a quarter of a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue into his glass and then adding Coke. No video, sadly.
i can see the F Lounge needs a gallows.

I would make a fine executioner in cases of abuse of fine whisky.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Very true. But I was pointing out exactly why BA would want to "discourage" such behavior and go after those two. It's not the cost of 20 cans of beer. It's the potential risk of having their future activities traced back to "negligent" lounge management allowing them to take enough beer to get drunk and do something damaging.
That's total guesswork too. For all you know they may have had 3 mates downstairs or been part of a stag party.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Guilty as charged also on that one ... Now, swap that tonic for some soda water and we are talking.
Ginfizz.
It really doesn't go with gin.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by smokie36
i can see the F Lounge needs a gallows.

I would make a fine executioner in cases of abuse of fine whisky.
^

Although some purists would argue whether JW Blue was a fine whisky!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
^

Although some purists would argue whether JW Blue was a fine whisky!
I can think of better but following my first ever visit to the F lounge last month I've come to realise its motto...

"Beggars can't be choosers".

I wouldn't steal anything....my consumption of the champagne would be sufficient to satisfy.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
This thread reminds me of Crispgate some years ago, which AFAIR resulted in the demise of an FTer, although this is on a grander scale.

I've been known to take a packet of biccys or a bottle of water. I'm reasonably confident that although it's against the T&C that level is entirely tolerated and expected.

How many boiled sweets is theft ?

Next time I might look for case of wine
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Quick thinking with the videoing. Overall, I'm impressed with how you and the lounge management dealt with this, all things considered.
I saw something near the exact same in Manchester Airport last year.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
I wouldn't call it theft per se. It is poor form, totally cheapskate and abusing the system. There are likely rules that say BA can take action if you take the pi$$. If you are feeding outsiders that's against the rules, if you're smashing them on the flight, that's also against the rules. People like this are what result in even more rules being made and life becoming more difficult for the rest of us. Sadly in this life we have to abide by rules that were designed for those 1%. I couldn't care less (and I doubt neither could BA) if someone takes a roadie/snack/paper for the flight but to load up like that is just pathetic.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The issue for me with the 20 cans versus one isn't even about theft. It would probably be the same issue if the 2 guys were grabbing them and drinking them in the lounge.

If you are the next person to walk up wanting one of those beers, if somebody's just taken the last one (and solely the last one) while you might be disappointed you'd understand, but if you are standing there watching one person take 20 solely for himself, including the last one, that's a lot more frustrating.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
It is pretty pathetic behaviour no matter whether it was beer,crisps etc. Bad news for them is they were nicking Heineken so they will get the hangover they deserve from drinking that garbage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.