Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Banana4321
Beergate: A Summary

Two males were observed removing free beer (estimated to be c.20 cans of an unknown brewer) from the First Lounge (South) at London Heathrow's Terminal 5 on Friday 30th June 2017 between the hours of noon and approximately 17:00. The two men are white and probably have in excess of 1600 Tier Points.

200 outraged posts on an airline-related online forum then wasted at least 1000 man-hours of British industry at a cost of over £100 due to middle-ranking executives having not much better to do than comment on this feat of potential drinking whilst being flown.

Anybody with any news on this treasonable crime should not bother calling CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111. A reward of 6 cans of beer is available should the original beer cans be recovered.

Police are uninterested in talking to anyone in the vicinity at the time.

Any BREAKING NEWS on this front-page story will be added to this wiki immediately it happens
Print Wikipost

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I disagree - 1 or 2 cans and crisps is just as much theft as 20 cans, just more items. Whether 1 item or 20, it is still wrong
I disagree. Taking one can or a bag of crisps for consumption is fair enough. All sorts of reasons why this might occur... delays at check-in, late connecting flight. Taking 20 is entirely different.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Since BOB I take three beers and big of crisps. But I guess 20 cans and 5 bags is excessive
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I disagree. Taking one can or a bag of crisps for consumption is fair enough. All sorts of reasons why this might occur... delays at check-in, late connecting flight. Taking 20 is entirely different.
Either it is theft or it is not. whether 1 bag of crisps or 10 - it is still theft. If 1 can of drink is ok to take, then why not 5?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm surprised no BA lounge staff saw them.
Judging from the video, they used the chillers in an area some distance from the two BaxterStorey base stations, and with a large wine/water/glasses unit in front. So they would have been quite well hidden, they didn't use the chillers in the Refectory area, which are very open to view, and they looked quite slick in the execution of their heist. They knew what they were doing, but since they are almost certainly Gold cardholders they may well be quite familiar with how the lounge works.

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I'm curious if the lounge manager did anything about it? Like call airport security and try and apprehend them in the building.
I've seen this happen before, the BA (not BS) lounge manager will ask them if they have taken extra items, if they say yes then the manager will ask them to return excess items. They try not to escalate matters too much, preferring the embarrassment factor to work. However, I've no idea what happened here and I guess we're unlikely to find out unless the culprits choose to "out" themselves here. And that would be somewhat foolhardy!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Either it is theft or it is not. whether 1 bag of crisps or 10 - it is still theft. If 1 can of drink is ok to take, then why not 5?
Because one can for immediate consumption is not depriving the airline of property that they could otherwise be using. The one can you are taking (for whatever reason) is a reasonable consumption and most likely assumed in the cost of the lounge access.

Taking five cans is not.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's a materiality factor here Dave. There was a time when people were sent to the gallows for sheep rustling (a little harsh perhaps and luckily we discovered Australia), but even in our enlightened times the removal of 20 plus cans can be regarded as way more serious than 2.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's a materiality factor here Dave. There was a time when people were sent to the gallows for sheep rustling (a little harsh perhaps and luckily we discovered Australia), but even in our enlightened times the removal of 20 plus cans can be regarded as way more serious than 2.
Regardless of penalty imposed for the offence, taking 2 cans is still theft.

I do not agree with theft but see dual standards here of the nature of "what I steal is ok, but beyond that is wrong"
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I have to admit that I occasionally nick the odd Coke can or crisp bag when I'm in a rush and have no time to sit down, but 20+ cans is pushing it.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Regardless of penalty imposed for the offence, taking 2 cans is still theft.

I do not agree with theft but see dual standards here of the nature of "what I steal is ok, but beyond that is wrong"
How come no-one has started the 'taking newspapers from the lounge is theft' routine yet? That's always a good one to watch ....
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by wjm457
I suppose to some 20 cans of beer if fine. How about 40, or 60? Or maybe grab a service cart and load it up to take to the gate?
Can't you use the same logic and say if 20 isn't fine how is 1 fine? It is still against the rules. The same rules you say 20 isn't fine by.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:40 am

If one's mindset sees it only as dual standards then your lead in clause can be understood. However if you see this as a continuum, where one can is immaterial and 20 (?) cans is grand larceny, then one's sense of outrage can be calibrated. The law and law enforcement recognises the same principle.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Because one can for immediate consumption is not depriving the airline of property that they could otherwise be using. The one can you are taking (for whatever reason) is a reasonable consumption and most likely assumed in the cost of the lounge access.

Taking five cans is not.
That term "otherwise could be using" is nebulous. So if you go to a bakery, they are closing, and there are lots of baked goods and you know they throw them away, can you just take them and walk out?

There is no such thing as "reasonable" for "cost of lounge access". Nobody pays anything for lounge access, nor knows how much it costs, and lounge access is the same fee regardless of whether or not you drink anything. It is like a buffet basically.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I think it's theft that BA used to give me a beer in my airline ticket price, but stopped doing that without reducing the cost of the airline ticket price. I recoup their theft by taking a beer from their lounge to drink onboard instead.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by hungry
I think it's theft that BA used to give me a beer in my airline ticket price, but stopped doing that without reducing the cost of the airline ticket price. I recoup their theft by taking a beer from their lounge to drink onboard instead.

That would be an interesting defence in court.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Beyond moral or legal issues, don't those people who take stuff out of lounges feel cheap? I'd feel pretty ashamed of myself to take anything without asking or being given express permission to do so and find my behaviour cheap and nasty, which I'd find quite hard to commit.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suspect you are correct. If it was down to me, I'd invalidate their Gold card(s) immediately. BAEC's terms and conditions allows for this.
I'd do the same. Misuse/abuse shouldn't be tolerated.

What equally upsets me (as well as what effectively amounts to theft) is their unthinking attitude. It could end up causing more cuts or inconveniences for others if too many people are doing things like this, e.g. removal of stuff in smaller containers and everything from a tap.

Although, I suspect some people would probably prefer all beers to be from taps rather than cans and that could be seen as public service

Originally Posted by Raffles
How come no-one has started the 'taking newspapers from the lounge is theft' routine yet? That's always a good one to watch ....
I don't understand why people don't do the simple thing of asking, "May I take this"? If they are told yes, then do so (but only "this" and not "10 of this")... If not, then don't.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 3, 2017 at 1:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.