Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Director of Brand and Customer Experience

Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Carolina Martinoli has been appointed as the new Director of Brand and Customer Experience at British Airways, replacing Troy Warfield. She has previously worked at Telefonica, ICI and Yell and has spent the past six years as marketing director for Iberia.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:35 am

If I were a BA employee I would be really disheartened by this appointment (assuming of course they could get more disheartened!)
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Poor woman, that's not a job anyone should want
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:47 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Having lived in Spain previously for several years I cringed when I saw Telephonica on her cv. I hope she doesn't bring this companies customer service ethos with her at it was appalling.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Are you sure she's Spanish? Martinoli sounds like an Italian name.
A brief search on Google show only references in Spanish and her linked in profile is in Spanish and list her languages as English, Portuguese & Spanish. But educated in Brazil so may well be wrong.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:58 am

I wonder if she'll make an appearance at Fortnum's on the 4th?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Are you sure she's Spanish? Martinoli sounds like an Italian name.
Her education and early career would suggest she is probably Brazilian.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I wish her well, and hope that the glimmers of evidence that senior management is recognising the brand proposition of the airline is starting to be materially damaged results in her having the support and resources to deliver on the role.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:04 pm Reason: Remove reference to deleted posts
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Her education and early career would suggest she is probably Brazilian.
"an Argentine who has always lived in Brazil"

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Jun 30, 2017 at 6:30 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
We can make assumptions based on her background and nationality but what really matters is;

(a) does she understand the BA brand?
(b) will she champion the customer?

Let's see what direction she goes in, and then form our opinions.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by JAXBA
We can make assumptions based on her background and nationality but what really matters is;

(a) does she understand the BA brand?
(b) will she champion the customer?

Let's see what direction she goes in, and then form our opinions.
meanwhile we can look at what she did and said when she worked for Iberia

and interview from 2013 translated by google

As for the low cost aspect of the new Iberia, Martolini says:
"Our new brand is the image of a global carrier , an airline with presence in many markets but at the same time transmitting those values ​​associated with Spain: our affinity With Latin America; The talent inherent in the Spanish character that makes us so authentic and original; And the push that makes us always look forward, that vitality so ours ... ".

On this matter, she points out:
"Our goal is that Spaniards, when they enter an Iberia plane, no matter which airport in the world, feel they are at home; And that customers from other countries feel that, when they enter one of our planes, they set foot in our country. " Maybe there the company is right, because without wanting to stick the finger in the sore, the image that they are going to take is a bit shabby.

A third criticism of the new Iberia brand is the loss of Spanish. However, Carolina Martinoli disagrees: "With our new image, we reinforce the brand Spanish," he says. We have reaffirmed ourselves in the colors of the Spanish flag, especially in the red, because we understand that they are part of our identity: one of the values ​​we must promote is precisely our Spanish character and the benefits associated with it - , Spanish art and character - and the colors of the flag help us to represent that Spanishness in a clear and unequivocal way. The crown will also remain present in our aircraft, in the fuselage, next to the flag and the license plate of the airplane.

Despite the defense of the company for the new design of the brand, many are in favor of the new identity has a short distance, far from the previous one that has been present for 36 years, Does Iberia consider that this can happen or that, on the contrary, is a long-standing logo? Martinoli's reply, neither yes nor no ... not quite the opposite: "Our previous logo was from 1977 and during these years many airlines have made two and more changes of image. It is clear that we needed a brand renewal that, at the same time, maintained our core values ​​and I think we have achieved it. " Argument that supports in the following aspects: "The new image of Iberia is inspired by three key elements for us: I - which is our initial and an element of our brand that has always accompanied us; The comfort of a seat - in reference to the experience of travel that we want to transmit; And the dynamism and movement of a wing - that thrust and vitality that is between our values. The result is a very special symbol, reminiscent of the tail of an airplane, which is a very representative element in our sector »

https://translate.google.com.hk/tran...-marca-iberia/
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:18 am

I think it's interesting that within IAG, so much influence has fallen to the Spanish side of the business. At the time, many assumed that it was BA buying up Iberia. In practice, it seems like the Spaniards have had far more influence on BA than the other way around.

I guess there's a parallel there in how since the United/Continental merger, the CO management has basically run the new company even though it's called United.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Looking at her previous experience I doubt she will be a van der Post who as I recall was not British but generally highly regarded on this board.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have to point out that the merchants of cynicism are in fine fettle here, and let's face it, they all get great training in this corner of t' interweb. And yet the lady concerned presumably hasn't had her first day at work. Now, what happened to that noble British tradition of cutting someone a bit of slack? Or does that get enhanced for those with the wrong breeding? In fact I'm wondering what it would take for a bit of congratulatory praise to come from some denizens here, the appointment of Drake himself? (Francis, not the Canadian one, obviously).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have to point out that the merchants of cynicism are in fine fettle here, and let's face it, they all get great training in this corner of t' interweb. And yet the lady concerned presumably hasn't had her first day at work. Now, what happened to that noble British tradition of cutting someone a bit of slack? Or does that get enhanced for those with the wrong breeding? In fact I'm wondering what it would take for a bit of congratulatory praise to come from some denizens here, the appointment of Drake himself? (Francis, not the Canadian one, obviously).
It's a senior position at a global firm.

There are more qualified people that have taken the job previous to her and in no uncertain terms failed.

Why is someone who is less qualified, with little background in customer experience from a part of the world where customer service is not well regarded, be welcomed into the role?

It's not a question of cutting someone some slack, it's recognising the reality of the situation.

Or is she going to be your new boss?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.