Community
Wiki Posts
Search

passport left on plane

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
oh - and no you can't go back by the way - once you are in the 'arrivals' process you are considered what we call 'dirty' (don't take offence - it only refers to the security process) clean means you have gone through security and can be airside.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:37 pm

I left my passport in the seat pocket on a flight into Thailand and did not know that I had lost it until I tried to board a plane out of the country to Australia a week later. I was not permitted to board. After pleading, to no avail, I asked a manager to call the Australian embassy, which he did. I got lucky, as the Australian embassy issued an official letter authorizing me to board the plane. When I arrived in Sydney, I went straight to the American embassy which issued a new, one-year, temporary passport. My original passport was never located.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by cayman4522
once you are in the 'arrivals' process
When does this occur? Upon boarding the transit? Upon entering the walkway?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Skywalker505
I left my passport in the seat pocket on a flight into Thailand and did not know that I had lost it until I tried to board a plane out of the country to Australia a week later. I was not permitted to board. After pleading, to no avail, I asked a manager to call the Australian embassy, which he did. I got lucky, as the Australian embassy issued an official letter authorizing me to board the plane. When I arrived in Sydney, I went straight to the American embassy which issued a new, one-year, temporary passport. My original passport was never located.
OK, I am now curious. How were you able to enter Thailand, stay at a hotel and check in for your return flight without a passport? Also, when was this? Procedures for temporary US passports at the consulate in Sydney may be somewhat different now.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by leachster
HMPO only give 1 day-turnaround-passports to people who haven't lost them (unless you have a bereavement)
Not true.
They have the discretion to bend the rules - having proof of imminent travel helps.
Make an appointment for a 4hr same day replacement - do not mention lost - and plead your case when there. Worst case, they say no. Best case, you have it in four hours.

Source: personal experience.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I was mugged in Chicago at Easter. My bag with our three UK passports was snatched. Visited the consulate the following day where emergency travel documents were issued. Simple process, panic over.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
No point beating yourself up over it - you would be amazed at the stuff people leave on board
Originally Posted by MrsW
I was mugged in Chicago at Easter. My bag with our three UK passports was snatched. Visited the consulate the following day where emergency travel documents were issued. Simple process, panic over.
Maybe then you should beat yourself up over it

One of my friends was also able a couple of years ago to get a replacement passport "same day" when he realized his old one was missing at the last minute before a trip, so this route is worth trying despite the official stance.

It sounds in any case as though there is no chance now to get back the old one - even if it was found on the plane and handed to the immigration authorities.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Ever since reading about the BA plane fire at Vegas requiring evacuation, I've made a point of keeping my passport on my person whenever flying. No seat pocket storage, no hand luggage storage. In my own pocket.

My life extending medication now joins it there.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters
Ever since reading about the BA plane fire at Vegas requiring evacuation, I've made a point of keeping my passport on my person whenever flying. No seat pocket storage, no hand luggage storage. In my own pocket.
Same here (although I've been doing this since long before the Vegas incident). Passport, phone and wallet stays on my person until after take-off. Shoes also stay on until we are in the air. That way I know I'm able evacuate quickly and deal with the aftermath as needed.

As for the OP - I'm amazed at how poorly BA seems to have handled the situation. I would have made the same assumptions as the OP and I'm very much surprised to read that he didn't walk out of the airport with his passport in hand the same day.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
oh - and no you can't go back by the way - once you are in the 'arrivals' process you are considered what we call 'dirty' (don't take offence - it only refers to the security process) clean means you have gone through security and can be airside.
Indeed, but I wasn't suggesting going to airside departures, just walking back down the arrivals walkway along the same route that you'd normally walk from the plane to the UK Border. AFAIK there are no one-way doors there. Perhaps you wouldn't be allowed all the way on to the aircraft, but whether you get stopped at the airbridge or at the aircraft door, it should hopefully be easy enough to ask one of the crew to find it for you.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm sure people aren't supposed to do this, but since the airside door of the aircraft is also dirty, it is possible to go all the way back to the door of the aircraft via the passageway in T5. There's nothing to stop this. As you say, in procedure terms you would not be allowed on to the aircraft itself but it's not unusual for someone to come back down the airbridge in this situation.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by agehall
Same here (although I've been doing this since long before the Vegas incident). Passport, phone and wallet stays on my person until after take-off. Shoes also stay on until we are in the air. That way I know I'm able evacuate quickly and deal with the aftermath as needed.

As for the OP - I'm amazed at how poorly BA seems to have handled the situation. I would have made the same assumptions as the OP and I'm very much surprised to read that he didn't walk out of the airport with his passport in hand the same day.
I carry my essentials (passport, phone, credit cards, government ID, banknotes, vital medicine) in a small theft-proof cross-body bag. I wear it at all times, including toilet breaks.

It never leaves me for two reasons: 1) I live in Asia and travel around the region a fair bit - and so do gangs of professional baggage thieves, ever ready to notice someone sleeping or being inattentive to their possessions; 2) I'm ready to evacuate a plane without having to think about what I'm leaving with, and my hands are free to climb over the backs of seats if necessary to get around those (mainly Chinese) travellers who tend to prefer to wait to get their carry-on before evacuating.

You may call it paranoia, I call it PTSD.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:18 am

To add re. the forgotten passport, I wouldn't expect anything less from BA.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Deltus
Indeed, but I wasn't suggesting going to airside departures, just walking back down the arrivals walkway along the same route that you'd normally walk from the plane to the UK Border. AFAIK there are no one-way doors there. Perhaps you wouldn't be allowed all the way on to the aircraft, but whether you get stopped at the airbridge or at the aircraft door, it should hopefully be easy enough to ask one of the crew to find it for you.
Once you have started arriving and if you get to building A, there is no going back. If you were in C building - you could get off the transit in B, but that takes you through flight connections and security. If you get off in A - the only route is to the UK Border - you can't turn around and walk back. This is one of the reasons we get delays when people have gone to the wrong building and need to be at A gates. If they take the transit - they can only land themselves, thereby missing their flight and being offloaded (along with the search for their bags!).

It would be a security risk if you got off and were not then processed through security before being allowed back at an aircraft.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:28 am

My partner managed to do this flying into GVA on BA. Realised about 3 minutes after de-planing and he turned around and legged it back to the gate - managed to recover passport from seat-pocket and all was OK.

I will never let him forget - he always claims to be the organised one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.