New boarding procedure on trial?

Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by manymany
No Monarch!
Republic Airlines?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by KARFA
What a farce.

Just have the boarding procedure they were supposed to be doing already and run it properly, preferably have someone at the start of the priority queue to ensure only those go forward who have been called or at least rigorously enforce the groups at the desks and turn people away who have not been called. This isn't rocket science but BA are really doing there best to make it look like it. Anyone who has been on AA in the US will understand priority boarding can be done properly.
Yes, exactly - I don't care what system is used, and frankly I think priority boarding is a farce anyway - but just enforce it!

AA are absolutely militant in the enforcement of priority boarding and you dare not attempt to board in the wrong group, lest you invoke the agent's wrath.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by paul4040
Republic Airlines?

Aeroflot.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy

The problem with BA is that they don't even have a basic system that works and that can be adapted for context. They're stuck at first base, fuelled only by bad ideas.
This without any doubt is the problem, as you have summarised most succinctly.

The failure to operate priority boarding with any resemblance of consistent efficiency clearly remains the subject of ongoing negative customer feedback (and it certainly is whenever I get asked to complete one of BA's feedback/survey forms !) However, for as long as management continue to adapt their couldn't-care-less-attitude, I don't see the issue being properly addressed any time soon.

Personally I see PB in much the same context as the hapless implementation of BoB, where - six months on - we still see flight reports from passengers who actually wish to take advantage of what was touted as an improved facility are unable to do so. If the motivation to correct things is itself lacking, then the simple reality is that it just won't happen.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fourspoons
I took a Southwest flight in the US last week, that boarding procedure was interesting!
Not only boarding groups but a numbered position within that group and you all had to line up in order. Bit extreme for my taste but my goodness the ground staff enforced it with gusto.
My one experience with this was it was a bit like being at school, but it did seem to work.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:05 am

As I'm sure has been said many times the problem with BA is twofold as I see it. Firstly they don't send away people that ignore which section has been called, they just shrug and that encourages more to chance it, and also that they call the next group before the previous one has cleared. As far as the second of those two is concerned, it means status passengers not yet called line up assuming by the time they get to the front their group will either have been called or they'll get through anyway. It also wouldn't cause any delay to not call the next group until the previous had cleared since many in the next group to be called are in the blocks ready to sprint to the gate, so there's no meaningful delay as it's not long before everyone is either packed on a bus or queueing in the jetway.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
It always amazes me in Australia how Qantas can fully load a domestic 737-800 in 20 minutes flat, including orderly priority boarding and stowage for everyone's carry-ons in the overheads. There doesn't seem to be the same "crowd the gate at T-45" mentality down there as you get here in the UK / Europe or in the US.

As others have said, though, even with status, I'll turn up as late as possible on a widebody, and "just in time" for priority boarding to start on a narrowbody (to secure overhead bin space).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All these other points about AA don't seem at all relevant to this discussion.

To the extent I am trying to suggest BA copy AA it is that the boarding process is clear and enforced. I think it is hard for anyone to argue BA has a boarding process which is clear, consistent, and enforced. This is the case even at it's major base at T5 where all the boarding staff are BA employees and therefore BA has direct control of the process.
It is also clear to me , that its boarding process is very poor. So what if a small percentage of people feel good that the priority boarding may have been handled if you end up having to be at the gate even earlier for boarding

I'm happy to stick with airlines that can commence boarding at 20 minutes before departure and leave on time and would be looking at what they do - even if heaven forbid, they manage it without varying boarding orders

American Airlines is a long way from anything that I would be looking to emulate
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is also clear to me , that its boarding process is very poor. So what if a small percentage of people feel good that the priority boarding may have been handled if you end up having to be at the gate even earlier for boarding

I'm happy to stick with airlines that can commence boarding at 20 minutes before departure and leave on time and would be looking at what they do - even if heaven forbid, they manage it without varying boarding orders
BA currently do not commence at 20 minutes though. They start at 30 minutes for short haul and domestic and 40 minutes for long haul.

Which airlines start boarding at 20 minutes to go?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA currently do not commence at 20 minutes though. They start at 30 minutes for short haul and domestic and 40 minutes for long haul.

Which airlines start boarding at 20 minutes to go?
Qantas and Virgin Australia quite often start at that time before departure and still get a 737 away on time
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Qantas and Virgin Australia quite often start at that time before departure and still get a 737 away on time
So what? Why is that relevant?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
My observations as a non-status passenger with various airlines, is that I am having a much more relaxed and enjoyable time sat at a cafe/bar near the gate and just waiting till near end of boarding, sipping a red wine, while in my line of sight the priority boarders enjoy the benefit of standing in a line tutting with looks of frustration, stress, anxiety and occasionally panic on their faces. But I guess they do get the warm glow of superiority and you just can't put a price on that
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
So what? Why is that relevant?
Because you asked? Seems very relevant to a discussion about airline boarding, no-one wants to sit on a plane longer than they need to, perhaps BA could learn from them?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by nallison
Because you asked? Seems very relevant to a discussion about airline boarding, no-one wants to sit on a plane longer than they need to, perhaps BA could learn from them?
BA could learn from a number of airlines. I have already mentioned AA. However, based on BA's already noted weaknesses in having an organised boarding process I doubt BA is capable of boarding an A320 and having it ready to push back in 20 minutes. Perhaps they could concentrate on getting it right for the current 30 minute period first.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:48 am

Turn up at final call... just get on the plane and apologetically hand hand baggage to anyone who is there...

Maybe I get looked after more as having status with OW and *A but it seems to work...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.