Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Urgent help please Brussels airlines to BA delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IC Plat Elt, Hilton Diamond, QF silver

hi all

currently on the tarmac at JFK with Brussels Airlines to BRU and the flight had gone tech but is now fixed and we are taxiing . Was due to transfer to BA onto LHR then MAN but not as a through ticket as they are booked on separate PNR's. The JFK-BRU is due to land too late (nearly 3 hours late) for the connecting flight. I've never been in this situation before and have not got a clue what to do or who to contact. Called the US BA contact number and they quoted Ł600 plus per person to stick me on a later flight. Please help!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:08 pm

Use your phone data/wifi to buy a last minute ticket online from BRU to MAN, whatever you find on google flights or kayak etc. It doesn't have to be on BA, just get whatever works. It will be less than 600 pounds for sure (probably last minute fares around 200 pounds per person).

The flight you'll miss is money wasted unfortunately.

Or, you can use your phone to book a hotel in Brussels for 1-2 days, and then take whatever cheap RyanAir flight.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
You could always appeal to BA when you land using the 'flat tyre' rule. I think it's safe to say that was unforeseen and most certainly not your fault.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:16 pm

There are tickets on Eurostar 14:56 through to Manchester arrive 19.04 for Ł129.95.

Or on the direct SN flight to MAN at 16.50 for Ł210.

Or plenty of avios seats to LHR at 15.25, if you wanted to work it out from there. No avios seats to MAN connecting from that currently.

Or Ryanair flight at 21.55 direct from Chareloi for Ł79 if you don't mind arriving late.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Coincidentally, I was on a bus today from upstate New York to Manhattan seated next to a young man who spoke a little English, but mainly Russian. He was booked on the OP's flight, with a connection to Kiev. Our bus arrived Manhattan one hour and forty minutes late, at 4:40 pm instead of 3:00 pm. I doubted that he would make the flight, but helped him to buy a Metrocard, and put him on the subway to Jamaica, with instructions for transferring to the AirTrain to JFK T1. Perhaps with the mechanical delay, he actually made the flight. OP: Was boarding delayed, or did the flight board on time, and then go tech?

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 26, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:27 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
You could always appeal to BA when you land using the 'flat tyre' rule. I think it's safe to say that was unforeseen and most certainly not your fault.
No 'flat tyre' rule on BA. BRU ticket desk is outsourced and they will recalculate the fare upgrading OP to fully flex ticket - this is why it is 600 quid charge.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by TPJ
No 'flat tyre' rule on BA
Conditions of Carriage section 3c4.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by sualg
The JFK-BRU is due to land too late (nearly 3 hours late) for the connecting flight.
scheduled arrival time of BRU flight 07:45. Flight to Heathrow 09:45 or 11:25?
I am guessing on separate tickets this would have been the 11:25 in which case all may be fine as estimated arrival time now showing 09:04
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by caz312
I am guessing on separate tickets this would have been the 11:25 in which case all may be fine as estimated arrival time now showing 09:04
I suspect that OP picked the 9h45 to London thinking that 2 hours would be sufficient. This is the risk that is always warned around here. I hope that the OP manages to get to MAN.

Unfortunately for the OP, his flight is late but not late enough to trigger EU compensation. That could've reduced the cost burden.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I suspect that OP picked the 9h45 to London thinking that 2 hours would be sufficient. This is the risk that is always warned around here. I hope that the OP manages to get to MAN.
would 2 hours work even if the flight was on time? Checkin would close at 09:00 so 1 hr 15 mins to disembark, immigration, baggage etc....seems very tight
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Thankfully for the OP there have been some good strong jetstream winds across the pond this week, so it does look like they should arrive on stand around 09:15. If they are HBO then making the 09:45 BA should be possible (B pier to B pier, maybe no security either, not sure if Belgium treats the USA as a safe origin). If they are on the 11:25 then they should be fine even with baggage.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Airprox
Thankfully for the OP there have been some good strong jetstream winds across the pond this week, so it does look like they should arrive on stand around 09:15. If they are HBO then making the 09:45 BA should be possible (B pier to B pier, maybe no security either, not sure if Belgium treats the USA as a safe origin). If they are on the 11:25 then they should be fine even with baggage.
Even if the OP can get to the gate before the aircraft door is closed, the more serious problem might be missing the check in deadline. Having HBO won't help (much) if the OP hasn't done OLCI.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: ECH Gold
BA has no liability and is not obliged to offer
a new ticket. A through ticket is like an insurance policy.
Buying separate tickets to save money can sometimes go wrong and therefore
the responsibility/ accountability falls on the ticket/s purchaser and not the airline.
Hope the OP managed to find a reasonable alternative back to MAN
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by caz312
would 2 hours work even if the flight was on time? Checkin would close at 09:00 so 1 hr 15 mins to disembark, immigration, baggage etc....seems very tight
It could work, since BRU is not that big, but I would't choose it.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:32 am

Landed at 9.15.

Have to assume OP is HBO and has done OLCI. If so, he'd have a decent chance of making the 9.45.

Hopefully OP will update soon. I like these threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.