Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First boarding question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by golfmad
Oh dear. That has potential DYKWIA written all over it. What about other F passengers near the front of the priority queue?
I guess they'll all have a right royal breakdown. Nothing is worse for the British caste system than people not taking it seriously!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
If you are ticketed F, walk to the front of the PB queue and flash your boarding pass. They will let you on. Hanging around behind 100 bronze cardholders who are flying in Y is stupid.
Yes that's what we did in the past when arriving at the gate after boarding had started. Well I say 'we'....personally I couldn't care less where I am in the boarding pecking order but the wife doesn't take any prisoners when she has a F or J BP in her hand so I just tag along behind her.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by golfmad
Oh dear. That has potential DYKWIA written all over it. What about other F passengers near the front of the priority queue?
Someone actually did this to me and when I pointed out I was also in F he flashed his Silver card and pushed past. It never occurred to me to show my Gold card, though it would have been fun to have had an impromptu "Top Trumps" type game.

To avoid the queues I generally try to board very late when in F, though not so easy to time just right when it's B or C gates and you're coming from the CCR.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Someone actually did this to me and when I pointed out I was also in F he flashed his Silver card and pushed past. It never occurred to me to show my Gold card, though it would have been fun to have had an impromptu "Top Trumps" type game.
Coffee spluttered all over bedding.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Raffles
If you are ticketed F, walk to the front of the PB queue and flash your boarding pass. They will let you on. Hanging around behind 100 bronze cardholders who are flying in Y is stupid.
Because you're so incredibly important?

Perhaps, if there are 100+ people in the PB queue subtly approach the boarding gate and ask if this is the first class queue.

But wafting other pax away with your oh-so-important F BP? If I were at the front of the queue and you did it you'd have a pretty serious problem, and I doubt I'm the only one.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Thanks everybody for the comments.

I'm a litttle surprised British Airways don't have a separate queue for first. But like people have said it's not worth worrying about (not that I was, I just wondered)

I'll just hang back in the CCR for a bit longer.

Im not sure I could walk to the front of line and flash my boarding pass, however tempting it sounds lol!!
Absolutely! Enjoy the CCR as long as you can and board just as the flight is closing!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am flying F for the first time in August to Chicago... when in J or lower I always try to be one of the first in the queue so I can guarantee overhead locker space. When in F on a 744 is this ever likely to be an issue? If not then staying a little longer in the lounge and turning up towards the end of boarding would be my preference... we are in 2A/2K going and 3A/4A coming back.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I am flying F for the first time in August to Chicago... when in J or lower I always try to be one of the first in the queue so I can guarantee overhead locker space. When in F on a 744 is this ever likely to be an issue?
Unless you are particularly picky about where your baggage goes then there is not going to be a storage issue in First. The only slight issue is that between the wardrobe and the shortage of overheads at the front of the aircraft then bags may have be slightly further away from you, but there's no shortage of space, and given the more hands on process with cabin crew in First, it makes no difference whether you are first or last on board. There is sufficient space.

I'm slightly mystified by the suggestion that CW is short on storage space. I've never, ever seen a problem there. In fact on longhaul generally it's nothing like the difficulties of shorthaul.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:59 am

Just to echo some of the comments on here, it's generally better to hang back at the Concorde Room for a bit longer than head to the gate (not least because flights that first flash 'boarding' on screen rarely start boarding at that moment).

If the flight is departing from a B gate then you could always head to the lounge in the B gate area (it's a very nice lounge) a little before boarding time, then you're close to the gate and can wait until it says 'flight closing' to head down.

I wouldn't push to the front of the priority queue. It's simply rude in my opinion. If you're keen to get on board early then maybe re-think the above approach to be at the gate when boarding first starts (when the gate agents will usually invite First and BAEC golds to board first).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:09 am

Often they use two jetties/doors for boarding out of LHR, the forward door is used for the F cabin.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldone
Often they use two jetties/doors for boarding out of LHR, the forward door is used for the F cabin.
This is what I thought would happen ... does this happen on a 773 / 77W fron LHR often?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unless you are particularly picky about where your baggage goes then there is not going to be a storage issue in First. The only slight issue is that between the wardrobe and the shortage of overheads at the front of the aircraft then bags may have be slightly further away from you, but there's no shortage of space, and given the more hands on process with cabin crew in First, it makes no difference whether you are first or last on board. There is sufficient space.

I'm slightly mystified by the suggestion that CW is short on storage space. I've never, ever seen a problem there. In fact on longhaul generally it's nothing like the difficulties of shorthaul.
Thank you

I have never personally had an issue in J (I generally fly J long-haul and as cheap as poss short-haul!) but I have seen others have an issue with finding overhead locker space close to their seat... still generally plenty available though in J... I agree.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
This is what I thought would happen ... does this happen on a 773 / 77W fron LHR often?
The majority of the time BA puts their 77W's on stands with jetties on doors 1&2L, on stands with just 1 jetty (or steps) it's positioned on 2L

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.