Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip report: South Africa on BA First and lots more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold

Good evening all!

I have posted a trip report in the main TR area, with the first chapter covering my British Airways First flight from London to Johannesburg.

South Africa: BA F, BA J, SA Y, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Safari and Garden Route

Please reply within the TR forum thread.

Mods: Please leave this for a while as I know not all members read the TR area.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Thanks for your excellent report and you're right, we don't all look at the TR section, at least not on a regular basis.

Do you search around for the best fares or use a regular TA like Trailfinders? Is F a lot more than J?

Last edited by botham; Jun 25, 2017 at 1:17 am Reason: To add a question
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Thanks for this! We are doing the same trip in October - first First - and are really looking forward to it.

We, too, have arranged a 'meet and greet' on arrival in JNB, but did you find it reasonably easy to get through check-in/customs/security on the way back? We are doing a long township tour in JNB on our last day and I'm a bit worried about queuing for ages if we get to the airport only an hour or so before our BA56 flight at 20.20. Do other FTers have recent experience of this?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Claranda
Thanks for this! We are doing the same trip in October - first First - and are really looking forward to it.

We, too, have arranged a 'meet and greet' on arrival in JNB, but did you find it reasonably easy to get through check-in/customs/security on the way back? We are doing a long township tour in JNB on our last day and I'm a bit worried about queuing for ages if we get to the airport only an hour or so before our BA56 flight at 20.20. Do other FTers have recent experience of this?
I came through JNB this week - I certainly wouldn't be getting to the airport an hour before the flight.

The queues at both security and passport control (both ends of the terminal) were hideous and the airport is generally heaving at that time of night with all the long haul departures. Plus minimum check in time is 1 hour and even the premium desks can get busy with people arriving early for the later BA flight.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK

You may be pushing your luck arriving at JNB with only an hour to spare. Other users will, I'm sure, be able to give you more info as to which days/times are busiest but from my regular visits the security and immigration (the latter is required on departure) queues can be very slow. Not down to too many people but rather too few staff...often only one or two officers at immigration, one or two security scanners operating etc, a reflection of the economic difficulties SA is facing. I'd suggest a couple of hours minimum. Other threads have plenty detail on the BA lounge facilities. Great country to visit though...enjoy!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
1. Excellent start to this trip report, ^
2. JNB is awful for departures due to immigration / passport control being a zoo (fairly often).
I have used the 'meet at Gate' service arriving into JNB twice now, it probably helps save a bit of time ... maybe more on the 2nd BA flight as queues can be more then.
I would seriously consider any 'hosting' service departing JNB now. Not sure they can get you round Passport queue though .... there was a shortcut via transfer route upstairs, not sure that still works.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Nice start (despite the long wait). It was a fun and unexpected meet-up that day. Your parents were a delight to meet and great company. Even #Jamier45 behaved himself, although I suspect that was due to the fact he had his beloved in tow.

Oh, one little thing: how dare you underscore my name, I'm hyphenated don't you know
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Great TR of your flight. You certainly made good use of the CCR!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:01 am

Enjoyable TR so far with great pictures. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by botham
Thanks for your excellent report and you're right, we don't all look at the TR section, at least not on a regular basis.

Do you search around for the best fares or use a regular TA like Trailfinders? Is F a lot more than J?
Thanks!

We booked directly with BA with little to no searching around for other options to be honest. Our fares were £3.2k a ticket booking straight into revenue F fare bucket. I believe that this is pretty cheap for the route!

Thanks!

You'll have to wait until the end of the TR to see Only joking, it was easy but only because my father was in a wheelchair and we circumvented the majority of the queues. I wouldn't recommend leaving only an hour at the airport to clear security and immigration, it looked like an absolute scrum!

Originally Posted by littlefish
1. Excellent start to this trip report, ^
2. JNB is awful for departures due to immigration / passport control being a zoo (fairly often).
I have used the 'meet at Gate' service arriving into JNB twice now, it probably helps save a bit of time ... maybe more on the 2nd BA flight as queues can be more then.
I would seriously consider any 'hosting' service departing JNB now. Not sure they can get you round Passport queue though .... there was a shortcut via transfer route upstairs, not sure that still works.
Thanks! We effectively went down the crew/diplomatic channel for passports so I am not sure whether the hosts would take you there or the normal queues.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Nice start (despite the long wait). It was a fun and unexpected meet-up that day. Your parents were a delight to meet and great company. Even #Jamier45 behaved himself, although I suspect that was due to the fact he had his beloved in tow.

Oh, one little thing: how dare you underscore my name, I'm hyphenated don't you know
Haha thanks, it is certainly taking a while It was really good fun sat in the lounge, but time went by very fast!

Ah yes, I shall blame FM for that

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Great TR of your flight. You certainly made good use of the CCR!
Ha, thanks yes, I did make very good use of the CCR!

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Enjoyable TR so far with great pictures. Looking forward to the rest.
Thank you! I'm really looking forward to posting the Safari pictures.

Last edited by stevieed; Jun 25, 2017 at 8:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.