Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's open season on BA in the UK press

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It may be good to have a few people Recommend my piece if they get a moment, to ensure the Hogg family see my comment. The article was well researched, but for some reason didn't highlight MCOL.
I went to upvote your comment but unfortunately it was removed by a Grauniad mod...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Avios U.K. IHG diamond, Hilton Diamomd
The Montreal convention should cover provable damages which is basically a consequential loss due to delay.Yet I know from bitter experience that BA try and wash their hands of this.
http://www.jus.uio.no/lm/air.carriage.unification.convention.montreal.1999/19.html
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
The (obvious) issue is the difference between buying a flight and buying a holiday.

Consumers are piecing together individual elements of a holiday separately without understand the risks and limits of liability should things go wrong. Insurance is marketed as the glue that kicks in should any piece come unstuck but there is no clear or regulated requirement around what needs to be covered (unlike for the airlines specifically).

It's hard to envisage the unusual free market solution eventually resolving this given the complexity - so, very much on the consumer to be fully aware and be prepared to fight.

(Surprised some VC firm somewhere hasn't put together a business case around this to quietly purchase and then leverage Flyertalk!).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Odiy
The Montreal convention should cover provable damages which is basically a consequential loss due to delay.Yet I know from bitter experience that BA try and wash their hands of this...
... and every other airline.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:21 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A dose of commercial realism is needed here. Most companies that provide a single component of a complete package, certainly where the value of that single component is a small percentage of the total package, do not even consider a consequential loss agreement. If they have one it's solely because the customer is so valuable to them they're prepared to take the risk via self-insurance, or insure it themselves (for which the premium would be a barrier even if you could find someone to underwrite it).

Why on earth would anyone suddenly expect any airline, not just BA, to be treated more unfairly than any other commercial organisation?

You want that written into law somewhere? Sure, that can happen. Are you also then prepared to pay the increased airfares that will cover the cost of that?

The problem here isn't with BA, it's with the insurance companes whose behaviour is reprehensible. They're the ones you could more easily argue are taking money under false pretences.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I know that Faro story sounds exactly like mine, but it's just coincidental! Same destination, same villa cost, same delay to wednesday, flying with the family, and it was my birthday. Unfortunately I was 43 :-)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

The problem here isn't with BA, it's with the insurance companes whose behaviour is reprehensible. They're the ones you could more easily argue are taking money under false pretences.
I agree....although to be fair to them your average Joe Public travel policy is never going to give you cover for events like this given the low cost of them.

Someone made a good point earlier on. BA do offer flight and accommodation packages which should give you more security when things go wrong.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Misco60
It appears that British Airways' reputation is now so low that the media is ready to jump on them even when they have, arguably, done everything they are required to do and could have done.
I don't see that it is really any different than normal. BA as a big UK institution will always come under significant media scrutiny. Media will also know what stories readers like, it seems that these stories bring together quite a few elements that readers like.

It will take years to repair the damage that cost-cutting, penny-pinching and unnecessarily poor attitude to customers has done - in the meantime, BA is the new Ryanair.
I have heard this a few times, but I'm sceptical. So many passengers buy on price or on business according to a company policy, that I'm sure the impact is rarely that significant.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JAXBA

I went to upvote your comment but unfortunately it was removed by a Grauniad mod...
Gee, my carefully constructed post has been removed. Banned by The Guardian! More than I've ever managed to do here. My thanks to the supporting commentators in the linked thread, who have suffered the same fate, but we probably get a medal for this.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Gee, my carefully constructed post has been removed. Banned by The Guardian! More than I've ever managed to do here. My thanks to the supporting commentators in the linked thread, who have suffered the same fate, but we probably get a medal for this.
That's RIDICULOUS ; it was a measured and informative post, no reason whatsoever to remove it...

​​Is thete any way of finding out which of their "10 simple rules" you allegedly fell foul of ?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Its no different to what goes on here but on a larger scale:

Stage 1: convince yourself there is a huge cost cutting agenda damaging the brand
Stage 2: look for stories where customer experience has been poor - particularly human interest
Stage 3: report factually that stage 2 is caused by cuts
Stage 4: Demand change in leadership and big investment, and promise to remove patronage until things improve, but complain a lot on the internet in the meantime

Its a bit like the public sector here in the Uk with "Austerity" (otherwise known as ensuring we have the scale of state infrastructure we can afford):
Stage 1: Believe we should put more money into the state; and that cuts are damaging
Stage 2: Look for evidence where the state has let people down
Stage 3: Connect 2 with 3 and create the perception that cuts are the reason for everything
Stage 4: Demand end of austerity and new leadership. Participate in cilvil protests or strikes until things improve, but complain a lot on the internet and in the Guardian in the meantime
Stage 5: presenting personal political opinions as fact on internet forums where they have no place at all. Kind of like stage 4 light.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by HIDDY
your average Joe Public travel policy is never going to give you cover for events like this
Well, mine does. How sound is this advice ?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Its no different to what goes on here but on a larger scale:

Stage 1: convince yourself there is a huge cost cutting agenda damaging the brand
Stage 2: look for stories where customer experience has been poor - particularly human interest
Stage 3: report factually that stage 2 is caused by cuts
Stage 4: Demand change in leadership and big investment, and promise to remove patronage until things improve, but complain a lot on the internet in the meantime

Its a bit like the public sector here in the Uk with "Austerity" (otherwise known as ensuring we have the scale of state infrastructure we can afford):
Stage 1: Believe we should put more money into the state; and that cuts are damaging
Stage 2: Look for evidence where the state has let people down
Stage 3: Connect 2 with 3 and create the perception that cuts are the reason for everything
Stage 4: Demand end of austerity and new leadership. Participate in cilvil protests or strikes until things improve, but complain a lot on the internet and in the Guardian in the meantime
Absolutely laughable.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

There are two articles in this weekend's Guardian consumer page in which BA gets blamed, mostly unfairly, for miserable travel experiences.

British Airways ruined our holiday but it won’t pay out
(This followed BA's IT meltdown in May. BA quickly refunded the costs of the flights and paid EC261 compensation without a fuss, but the customer also wants them to pay for the accommodation they had paid for and were unable to use. The customer's insurance company has refused to pay.)
I am glad this was published as it brings to light the fact that BA has apologized up and down for the incident but when it came to actually paying impacted customers the promised compensation for delay-related items, the turnaround time ranges from reasonable (for Golds) to slow (for Silvers/Bronze) to nonexistent (everyone else). It's been almost a month since the debacle and yet their Customer Relations phone lines still play a pre-recorded message saying they are dealing with the aftermath and thus are too busy to answer. Making empty or false promises seems like a bad idea after the whole mess.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Well, mine does. How sound is this advice ?
Unless they frequent this forum I suspect your average Joe Public doesn't have a BAEC Gold card either.

Which policy do you have? It would be handy to know as good value travel insurance that covers every eventuality is hard to get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.