Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Old Jun 23, 17, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver View Post
They will be departing the next day. There's nothing to prevent them arriving again that day, or the next. They just cant stay for longer than 7 days between flights without permission.

I'm sure they will actually position in from DOH and then be flying every day in a work block. This will mean possibly staying overnight at LHR or maybe somewhere else in Europe and then position back to Qatar at the end of a work block (which is likely to be 7 days or less anyway).
I'm sceptical of your understanding. I think there is a difference between the operation of 5th freedom shuttles where the host government has granted rights and Qatari aircraft and crew operating routes where it has no such rights, eg intra-EU. If this agreed, I would be surprised if there were not restrictions on what BA destinations QR aircraft can operate to.
Old Jun 23, 17, 10:40 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
I would be surprised if QR employed many (any!?) Qatari crew.
Quite a few of the Flight-Crew (at least 4 I know personally) are Qatari, and I know at least 6 Cabin-Crew who are Qatari too.

M
Old Jun 23, 17, 10:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Not convinced by that. ...
I'm sceptical of your understanding...
#Jumbodriver is correct in his summaries of the situation and relevant law.
Old Jun 23, 17, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I'm sceptical of your understanding. I think there is a difference between the operation of 5th freedom shuttles where the host government has granted rights and Qatari aircraft and crew operating routes where it has no such rights, eg intra-EU. If this agreed, I would be surprised if there were not restrictions on what BA destinations QR aircraft can operate to.
That's why they have to apply to the CAA. The host country will have granted rights.
Old Jun 23, 17, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Leaving aside the politics of it all I think any move to lessen disruption to the travelling public has to be a good thing.
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Leaving aside the politics of it all I think any move to lessen disruption to the travelling public has to be a good thing.
Safety first surely?

According to the union
the lease could be in breach of aviation law, if British Airways was unable to demonstrate that an equivalent level of safety standards would be applied to the aircraft
http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/av...-cover-strike/
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think that's grasping at straws. They are not wetleasing from TK.
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
Safety first surely?

According to the union

Quote:
the lease could be in breach of aviation law, if British Airways was unable to demonstrate that an equivalent level of safety standards would be applied to the aircraft
But surely before the CAA grant approval BA would have to demonstrate that the application would fulfil UK CAA safety requirements.
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
I think that's grasping at straws. They are not wetleasing from TK.
Originally Posted by Hodders View Post
But surely before the CAA grant approval BA would have to demonstrate that the application would fulfil UK CAA safety requirements.
True, a possible workaround could be to set up a codeshare agreement with QR and transfer everyone’s tickets?
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by icegirl View Post
True, a possible workaround could be to set up a codeshare agreement with QR and transfer everyone’s tickets?
The Air Services Treaty between the UK and the State of Qatar does not allow Qatari carriers to operate flights between points in Europe and the U.K. unless those flights continue onto Qatar. .
Old Jun 23, 17, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Too much travel View Post
You do know that hundreds if not thousands of QR crew are EU passport holders right? Every flight I've been on with them has had Central European crew members, plus I've seen a smattering of Western European / Nordics crew.
Really? Who knew?
Old Jun 23, 17, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson View Post
Please tell me that Jumbodriver isn't a Uber-like crowdsourcing app where you can log on and order passenger jets.

EDIT: Ah, when I read your post my strained brain put a 'for' between 'them' and 'Jumbodriver'. Jumbodriver is a user in this thread. Phew.

Off to start coding up an Uber-like app/server for passenger jets...
Nearly....

https://en.wingly.io/
Old Jun 23, 17, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower View Post
Interesting. But, nothing from Leicester airport. Prices seem reasonable. I'd need to go to somewhere like Nottingham or even Burton-on-Trent to get to the originating airport.

Note: I realise you didn't post that expecting me to actually use the link, but this may actually happen.
Old Jun 23, 17, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you feel happy trusting yourself to a PPL with no knowledge of his/her experience, please do! ^

I'll be steering clear myself.
Old Jun 23, 17, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower View Post
If you feel happy trusting yourself to a PPL with no knowledge of his/her experience, please do! ^

I'll be steering clear myself.
Wouldn't it be illegal for a PPL to operate a commercial flight?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: