Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
We seem to be assuming that this is BA's idea. Could it be that they are being told by QR to do this?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If I were BA I would be very nervous about putting my customers in Qatar (domestic) First seats! They will soon realise what they are missing .....

Slightly surprised that Qatar have enough short-haul crew with permission to work in the UK.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
That was my first thought, too. It'll be a world of difference to those fliers.
A world of difference? I don't think so. If this goes ahead, those in Club will certainly appreciate the bigger seat but that is where it stops. There will likely be downgrades on some flights because of the fixed number of J seats. Maybe those in economy might get the pre-BoB service, that will be popular.

EDIT: I see you've now edited your post, which makes my reply a little redundant.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Worcester
We seem to be assuming that this is BA's idea. Could it be that they are being told by QR to do this?
QR don't have enough shares to dictate what BA does.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by Down Low
Hearing tonight BA have applied to the CAA for permission to operate 9 Qatar Airways A320 and A321s during the forthcoming strike periods. Aircraft would be operated by Qatari flight and cabin crew.
Surely any self respecting crew would refuse to work these services? As it's breaking and undermining their colleagues in another company who are in dispute with their employer?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by hungry
Surely any self respecting crew would refuse to work these services? As it's breaking and undermining their colleagues in another company who are in dispute with their employer?
You take a somewhat unionised view of self respect.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:40 am

If you were a Qatar Airways employee, would you seriously give a monkeys what is happening in BA?

In fact if they are self respecting they will probably grab the chance because unless there is a thaw soon in the Qatar position they might be laid off.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Presumably the Qatar crews are on reduced flight schedules or at risk of being laid off with an idle A320/321 fleet. Not illogical that they'd be happy to work the Qatar planes on a BA schedule in those circumstances.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Surely any self respecting crew would refuse to work these services?
Do you really think a QR crewmember has that option without losing their job??
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:35 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A number of posts have been removed which described the political situation in the Middle East and the issue of human rights for employees. Those subjects are not suitable material for the BA board and can only live in OMNI/PR for those with access rights.

Please keep to the core subject of BA's decision to seek wet lease permission for QR aircraft, not the side issues.

/mod
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
If I were BA I would be very nervous about putting my customers in Qatar (domestic) First seats! They will soon realise what they are missing .....

Slightly surprised that Qatar have enough short-haul crew with permission to work in the UK.
Is it any different from putting CE passengers in F on a 77W from MAD or a midhaul config A321 from OSL? Shorthaul flying in the ME is a very different market to Europe so customers shouldn't really be shocked that the product can be different.

Qatar has LOTS of eastern european crew who have every right to work in the UK. I strongly doubt this would be an issue.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Is there the interesting prospect of a Qatar Airbus operating to Tel Aviv in all of this?
No, the aircraft are still Qatari registered.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TabTraveller

Qatar has LOTS of eastern european crew who have every right to work in the UK. I strongly doubt this would be an issue.
But you assume these crew are used on long-haul where their language skills are more useful. Logically Qatar would staff short-haul with local crew (and you can only work on an aircraft type on which you have been trained).
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Logically Qatar would staff short-haul with local crew (and you can only work on an aircraft type on which you have been trained).
Assuming QR is the operator in question, QR does use its A320s on "midhaul" flights to places like Eastern Europe, India, and Scandinavia.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Assuming QR is the operator in question, QR does use its A320s on "midhaul" flights to places like Eastern Europe, India, and Scandinavia.
And PSA, famously (to Prem Fare Deals forum readers at least)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.