Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
How will I know if our flight to KRK has been subbed for a QR aircraft? Is it a case of rocking up at the gate and seeing what's there?
It should show in MMB. In the flight information it will say operated by Qatar Airways.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by KARFA
Could be failure of the stand guidance system?

EDIT: actually maybe they would have just got a ground marshaller if that was the case
Indeed - I would have thought the marshaller would have been the solution in that case ... and also when that's happened in the past normally you stop just short of the stand before they realise something isn't working / turned on ...

This time he parked up pretty soon after exiting the runway nowhere near the stand and shut down and then waiting for the tug took about 20 minutes .. [ Checking it says landed at 16:11, but BA.com has arrival as 16:35 which would sound about right ]

Qatar pilots generally ( not just this specific experience ) are a lot less informative on the PA announcements than BA ones so all just speculation I guess :P

Small inconveniences anyway .. not a huge big deal, just thought it a bit curious.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Anyone actually seen of these aircraft yet?!

3 trips out of A Gates during the strike so far and not a sign of any of them. Are they in hiding?!

(Waits whilst someone does the maths based on 9 planes x average turnaround time x number of hours Heathrow is open x % of short-hauls which would as a statistical average use A gates or the western side of B .....)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Raffles

3 trips out of A Gates during the strike so far and not a sign of any of them. Are they in hiding?!

(Waits whilst someone does the maths based on 9 planes x average turnaround time x number of hours Heathrow is open x % of short-hauls which would as a statistical average use A gates or the western side of B .....)
Each time I've been through LHR during the strike period I've seen at least one QR aircraft around T5.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet

From my experience so far they all tend to hide on Remote stands at the end of the B and C gates and beyond !
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
From my experience so far they all tend to hide on Remote stands at the end of the B and C gates and beyond !
Spotted few times at A Remote Gates. Easily visible from GF lounge.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

The QR ones? Back in early July when I was last at T5 there were two parked on the eastern side of T5A. Also saw on on the western side of T5B. If BA were trying to hide them they aren't doing a good job of it
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Do they not trust the Qatar pilots to park ?? .. Flew back on the BA883 from Kiev today .. pleasant flight on the purple airbus ... but when we arrived at Heathrow we stopped on the taxiway at the North End of the C gates .. then shut everything down and the captain announced we were waiting for a tug to come and tow us on to stand - eventually one showed up and pulled us along the far side of the C gates to a remote stand opposite them on the South End ( by the old fuel tanks ) .. Looked like a normal looking stand - not sure why self parking wasn't an option and we had to get the valet (tug!)

That and the usual messing around with buses took some of the good out of an otherwise pleasant flight ... more curious though as to why this was the case - I can only recall something like this occasionally before at some US Airport ( maybe the old terminal in LAX?) where it was very tight and they towed the aircraft the last bit of the way onto the gate .. never seen it at LHR before
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:46 pm

Seen them multiple times at LHR in the past weeks. Also spotted them several times on the morning rotation at ZRH as I go past the airfield on the odd occassion I got to the office.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
AA did this for a while when using the high E gates in Miami a few years ago. The pilot always said it was a requirement due to construction workers in the area.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Looks like I have a QR bird taking me to FCO tomorrow on BA 554. Curious to see what the service will be like in J, definitely excited about the proper J-class seat!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

I've seen them around the A, B, and C gates on my 4 times through LHR during the past two weeks, as well as remote stands (today one was sitting behind A23). On my flight on Wednesday from STR I was on one of them and we arrived at C66. I made it to baggage claim within 7 minutes of the aircraft doors opening, and then waited at least 20 more minutes before bags arrived (HBO was unavoidable for that trip).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:26 pm

Over at T3, my British Qatari Airways flight to WAW left from gate 11, which prominently displays the plane right in front of the CX First Class Lounge window.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Yep, two at the SE corner of T5A on Tuesday.

If each aircraft is only doing two rotations a day (from the earlier list posted), say an hour a turnaround, and nine aircraft split among two terminals (effectively four if you include the B/C satellites) and it's not likely you'll see a huge amount of them...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by jlsw7
AA did this for a while when using the high E gates in Miami a few years ago. The pilot always said it was a requirement due to construction workers in the area.
A couple of the gates at JFK T7 require a tow in due to the odd angles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.