FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What plane London to St Kitts? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1849593-what-plane-london-st-kitts.html)

PointsPointsPoints Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm

What plane London to St Kitts?

Evening all,

Can anyone tell me what plane will be used for flights from London to St Kitts in May 2018?

I don't understand how to use thebasource....

Many thanks

^

DYKWIA Jun 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Just do a dummy booking on BA.com, it will tell you. I assume it's a 777-200.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 28475255)
. I assume it's a 777-200.

Indeed that's the only longhaul jet type that LGW has, so it's easy to work out!

PointsPointsPoints Jun 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Any recommendations for the best CW seats for a couple travelling please?

Can I help you Jun 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Facing each other or side by side?

DYKWIA Jun 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28475262)
Indeed that's the only longhaul jet type that LGW has, so it's easy to work out!

​​​​​​Easy if you're Mr "I travel at least 74 BA sectors a week, plus others" C-W-S :D

I didn't even know it was a LGW route!

bestuseofpoints Jun 22, 2017 2:46 pm

LGW flies most of Caribbean flights for BA, and they use 777 planes...unfortunately the newer planes are being flown to Middle East/Asia/USA

fruitcage Jun 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by PointsPointsPoints (Post 28475277)
Any recommendations for the best CW seats for a couple travelling please?

We prefer the pairs by the window for day flights outbound and the middle pair to sleep at night on the way back. YMMV etc...

T8191 Jun 23, 2017 2:05 am

The challenge here is that the actual LGW 777 airframe is vulnerable to change, often at the last minute [1-2 days out]. I don't think we've ever done a Caribbean trip without having at least one sector being changed, which makes seat planning almost a waste of time. indeed, on 2 successive trips to KIN, we had all 3 versions!

We're just home from an Antigua trip [in J], which ISTR is the one that connects onward to St Kitts. Outbound we ended up with a 4-class, with the F cabin being used as J for 10 lucky people. Inbound we had a 3-class, but that was changed a couple of days out from the 48J to the 40J version, leading to a frantic change of our seats as BA had put us in 11D/E [aisle and middle]. We moved to 4J/K [window pair with aisle access]. :)

So whatever you choose, keep checking your plans haven't been silently undermined by BA ... because they won't tell you it's all changed!

Wherryman Jun 23, 2017 3:50 am

On June 2 our eleven-month booked First trip to St Lucia was changed to a 3-class on the morning of departure (knock-on effect of a bird strike in Antigua). Sigh...

T8191 Jun 23, 2017 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Wherryman (Post 28477247)
On June 2 our eleven-month booked First trip to St Lucia was changed to a 3-class on the morning of departure (knock-on effect of a bird strike in Antigua). Sigh...

Oh, VERY sad. Sorry to hear that: really annoying for you, I'm sure.

Another example of the lack of robustness with the LGW 777 fleet, with their varied requirements/demands on those 'holiday routes'.

Wherryman Jun 23, 2017 4:09 am

Thank you for your sympathy, esteemed T8191. Slowly gathering up my strength for a protracted compensation battle (Avios, 2-4-1 etc)

bradders81 Jun 23, 2017 6:33 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 28477065)
We're just home from an Antigua trip [in J], which ISTR is the one that connects onward to St Kitts. Outbound we ended up with a 4-class, with the F cabin being used as J for 10 lucky people.

We have this situation for ANU next April. We are on Row 10 (party of three) yet our seat map is showing a blocked F cabin. BA tell me that should the J section fill up, the flight will operate F as J which has been discussed here several times I think.

The thing they did mention on the Gold Line was that my seat map is blocked as my status ranks me (and my party) as priority to be moved in F. I find that a little hard to believe as a lowly GCH ;)

Not sure it's ideal to switch out J with a four year old as they'd be isolated in an F seat. First world problems.

I wonder if this will go away when they start the fleet refurb at LGW in Jan. I thought they were losing one of the four class birds.

T8191 Jun 23, 2017 6:45 am

An interesting addition to the discussion, here and on another similar thread. At least you got some sort of an explanation on the Gold line, which is more than I achieved!!

Now the Big BA Lottery question is whether you select seats in F (when/if you can). I fear that's the mistake I made, by not selecting them at T-48 when we first saw them (and only them) in MMB. I have long since stopped trusting LGW 777 seating arrangements, so lacked the courage of taking the plunge!

bradders81 Jun 26, 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 28477597)
An interesting addition to the discussion, here and on another similar thread. At least you got some sort of an explanation on the Gold line, which is more than I achieved!!

Now the Big BA Lottery question is whether you select seats in F (when/if you can). I fear that's the mistake I made, by not selecting them at T-48 when we first saw them (and only them) in MMB. I have long since stopped trusting LGW 777 seating arrangements, so lacked the courage of taking the plunge!

That is indeed the big question!

The agent suggested that given the fleet refurb, it was highly likely to remain a four class and therefore the seats would become available at T-48 (jives with your experience too) I'm not clear however if I am moved automatically though. I'm assuming that's a "yes".

Given we have a party of three with an under five, I'm hoping there is more protection for an equipment change and the subsequent reassignment. Saying that, it's LGW and we've had these issues in CE before.