Passport query

Old Jun 22, 17, 7:58 am
  #16  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,494
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY View Post
Which would make renew nearly impossible or do you declare it as stolen?
No. The passport will be handed back, a UK passport does not need to be in date in order to enter the UK.You will normally be unable to leave the UK with an expired passport.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jun 22, 17, 9:01 am
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,625
Originally Posted by stifle View Post
You can, although the UKBF will potentially confiscate it.
My application for passport renewal was sent yesterday and is hopefully now on its way to Durham. 120 plus 1,000 pesos secure delivery.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jun 22, 17, 9:53 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Around somewhere
Programs: Bronze, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Posts: 353
Originally Posted by mas0282 View Post
Quick one I'd appreciate some advice on.

Am travelling to the US next week. I will be returning on 5 July. My passport expires on 31 July.

I have checked and this doesn't cause a problem from a US immigration perspective - the "6 months validity post your visit" rule doesn't apply to UK citizens apparently. No problem as long as you have left by the expiry date on the passport.

To make sure that I didn't end up having a fight with an ill-informed member of BA check in staff, I decided to email them in advance to check that BA did not have its OWN policy on passport validity. The question I asked them was simple: as long as I satisfy the conditions for the country I am visiting for entry, please would you confirm that BA does not impose any additional requirements?

What I got back was an ill-thought out, robotic response, simply telling me that BA cannot advise on Visa requirements. That's not what I asked.

Can anyone here please give me some comfort that I am not going to have a problem at check in? I really, really don't want to have to renew my passport at short notice - it will be hugely inconvenient.

Many thanks.
I suspect that BA said that as the rules do vary depending on what nationality you are and where you are travelling so its a lot easier to say its up to the passenger to find out. If the airline had a particular rule like every one needs 6 months to travel with them then it would be mentioned in the ToC for the airline.
SonTech is offline  
Old Jun 22, 17, 10:13 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,489
Originally Posted by SonTech View Post
I suspect that BA said that as the rules do vary depending on what nationality you are and where you are travelling so its a lot easier to say its up to the passenger to find out. If the airline had a particular rule like every one needs 6 months to travel with them then it would be mentioned in the ToC for the airline.
Yes it is up to the passenger to find out and be compliant but BA can be and has been fined by various countries for allowing people to board flights and the passenger has subsequently been denied entry.

The US hasn't required 6+ months validity for some time yet a lot of people still believe it still does.

And BA cannot impose additional requirements re passport expiry over and above the legal ones of the destination country.
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Jun 22, 17, 3:02 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Posts: 13,023
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY View Post
Which would make renew nearly impossible or do you declare it as stolen?
They will give you a "UK Immigration Service passport receipt form" which is sent in lieu of your old passport to renew.
stifle is offline  
Old Jun 22, 17, 3:36 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 492
Can I hijack this thread for my own passport-related question?

My passport has an annoying 1cm tear on the top of the photo page - sadly an immigration officer snagged the page on their scanner, and the number burned through the page acted like a perforated strip (D'OH).

I travel every week and so far nobody has complained; the passport also still works on self-service immigration kiosks. I would, however, like to get it replaced before it gets worse or before a border official somewhere takes issue with it (or worse - overly-officious airline employee!).

I need a one-day service, but the Passport Agency will only do a one week service for damaged passport replacements.

Interestingly my passport damage doesn't seem to meet the Home Office's definition of a damaged passport. Can I just apply for a same-day renewal? Even though I have 8 years left on my passport and it's clearly because it's superficially damaged?
markle is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 3:24 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Around somewhere
Programs: Bronze, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Posts: 353
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
And BA cannot impose additional requirements re passport expiry over and above the legal ones of the destination country.
They cannot impose additional requirements to enter a country but they can impose any reasonable additional conditions to board one of their aircraft in the first place, just like any airline could if they wanted to.
SonTech is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 3:40 am
  #23  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,015
Originally Posted by markle View Post
Can I just apply for a same-day renewal? Even though I have 8 years left on my passport and it's clearly because it's superficially damaged?
They are fairly pragmatic on the whole, but if it is only 2 years old then that may pose the question as to why you are renewing it. Maybe you are finding the chip is not working consistently at all European airports but works fine at LHR?
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jun 23, 17, 3:56 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Posts: 2,737
Originally Posted by markle View Post
Can I hijack this thread for my own passport-related question?

My passport has an annoying 1cm tear on the top of the photo page - sadly an immigration officer snagged the page on their scanner, and the number burned through the page acted like a perforated strip (D'OH).

I travel every week and so far nobody has complained; the passport also still works on self-service immigration kiosks. I would, however, like to get it replaced before it gets worse or before a border official somewhere takes issue with it (or worse - overly-officious airline employee!).

I need a one-day service, but the Passport Agency will only do a one week service for damaged passport replacements.

Interestingly my passport damage doesn't seem to meet the Home Office's definition of a damaged passport. Can I just apply for a same-day renewal? Even though I have 8 years left on my passport and it's clearly because it's superficially damaged?
Did the boarder force agent who caused the damage give you any confirmation that they caused the damage. It doesn't sound like a replacement is currently necessary from your description. If they did provide you with some evidence, keep it with your passport in case it is ever questioned, if they didn't you could raise it as a complaint to BF (link here), then keep their response letter as confirmation for BA or any boarder agency. I wouldn't go spending extra money for no reason.

They are unlikely to allow you to renew your passport at 2 years, particularly using the 1 day service; think it is likely to raise un-necessary alarm bells and as you say, a damaged replacement, in theory including a Chip not working, can use the 1 week maximum service.
navylad is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 4:24 am
  #25  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,494
Originally Posted by markle View Post
... My passport has an annoying 1cm tear on the top of the photo page - sadly an immigration officer snagged the page on their scanner ...
I had exactly the same problem, except my damage was caused at MAN check-in. I used some clear tape to prevent the tear from getting any worse and I've not had a single comment on it over the 3 years it's been in that state - and that is crossing borders in the hundreds.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 4:31 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,526
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
Did the boarder force agent who caused the damage give you any confirmation that they caused the damage. It doesn't sound like a replacement is currently necessary from your description. If they did provide you with some evidence, keep it with your passport in case it is ever questioned, if they didn't you could raise it as a complaint to BF (link here), then keep their response letter as confirmation for BA or any boarder agency. I wouldn't go spending extra money for no reason.

They are unlikely to allow you to renew your passport at 2 years, particularly using the 1 day service; think it is likely to raise un-necessary alarm bells and as you say, a damaged replacement, in theory including a Chip not working, can use the 1 week maximum service.
You can still try the 1 day service and plead with them to do it on the spot as you are worried the passport may be rejected.
They do say '1 week service for damaged passports', but it is at the discretion of the Home Office representative.

I did the one day service in March 2016 in London and my passport was in an awful state after 9 years of hard use without a passport wallet. They threatened to say it was so damaged that it should be the one week service and in fact i had to write on the comments section of the passport application 'passport damaged due to excessive wear and tear', then they allowed me to collect the new passport the same day, as in 4 hours later!
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 4:38 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Posts: 2,737
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
You can still try the 1 day service and plead with them to do it on the spot as you are worried the passport may be rejected.
They do say '1 week service for damaged passports', but it is at the discretion of the Home Office representative.

I did the one day service in March 2016 in London and my passport was in an awful state after 9 years of hard use without a passport wallet. They threatened to say it was so damaged that it should be the one week service and in fact i had to write on the comments section of the passport application 'passport damaged due to excessive wear and tear', then they allowed me to collect the new passport the same day, as in 4 hours later!
Indeed, but I would be concern about assuming that they would be able to get it in a day; any plans to use the passport over the subsequent week would be at risk.
navylad is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 4:42 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,526
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
Indeed, but I would be concern about assuming that they would be able to get it in a day; any plans to use the passport over the subsequent week would be at risk.
Even better, take a flight booking with you and beg that you need it to travel. I am sure they wouldn't mind.

In fact, if I was travelling so much, I would get 2 passports so if one is damaged, I can just use the other. You can do this if you can justify it . (e.g. letter from employer etc.)
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 4:54 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Posts: 2,737
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Even better, take a flight booking with you and beg that you need it to travel. I am sure they wouldn't mind.

In fact, if I was travelling so much, I would get 2 passports so if one is damaged, I can just use the other. You can do this if you can justify it . (e.g. letter from employer etc.)
A 2nd passport definitively isn't available as a 1 day service. You would need a letter from your employer dated within the last 4 weeks of your application explaining the frequency of your travel and highlighting any destinations in conflict with each other. You would need to complete the application as if applying for your 1st Adult Passport. It is, also, additional expense.
navylad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread