Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Newspapers at T5 gates have moved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum

(Apologies can't seen this in any other thread, so posting it here)

Small one, but the BA "Enhancements" continue with this move - in T5A at least (as that's where all my flights have been from of late). I've noticed that in the last 2 weeks, the free newspapers have been moved from down on the jet bridge to up before the escalators. Net effect has meant that they aren't available for any inbound customer to take.

I wouldn't mind, but it was only in the last two years that BA got rid of papers at European stations (some cost cutting rubbish was the excuse), so it was nice to pick up something to read on the tube/HEx into town.

#CutsbyCruz
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Jordan D
(Apologies can't seen this in any other thread, so posting it here)

Small one, but the BA "Enhancements" continue with this move - in T5A at least (as that's where all my flights have been from of late). I've noticed that in the last 2 weeks, the free newspapers have been moved from down on the jet bridge to up before the escalators. Net effect has meant that they aren't available for any inbound customer to take.

I wouldn't mind, but it was only in the last two years that BA got rid of papers at European stations (some cost cutting rubbish was the excuse), so it was nice to pick up something to read on the tube/HEx into town.

#CutsbyCruz
Strange move if this is considered as a cost cutting measure, cause I thought the papers are provided free for BA?! (Correct me if I am wrong, but some other airlines get their papers for free)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The thread topic is "Complimentary Newspapers at T5 gates have moved". Please stick to it.

A few off-colour remarks and retreads of the perennial Daily Mail debate have been removed.

/mod
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
My LHR flights in the last month have mostly been T5B/C, I'm fairly sure there were still papers on the airbridges for those. My last flight from LHR was around a week ago.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
The papers are still there in GLA (Cant comment on LHR) and still look pretty much untouched maybe no one reads the paper in GLA

In fact - I didn't think many people read them anymore tbh
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flew out of T5B last night and I also noticed that the newspapers have been moved much further away from the aircraft. I thought that it might be that they are a fire hazard but preventing incoming passengers taking them may be more likely.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
operational reasons

IMO the "move" is for operational reasons. The jetway bridge is chaotic at times, with strollers, carry on and personnel.
Thank goodness we still get the daily papers! Some hotels & lounges are doing away with them - citing online sources i.e. if I was you, I would congratulate BA for maintaining them!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
IMO the "move" is for operational reasons. The jetway bridge is chaotic at times, with strollers, carry on and personnel.
Thank goodness we still get the daily papers! Some hotels & lounges are doing away with them - citing online sources i.e. if I was you, I would congratulate BA for maintaining them!
Considering they sat in one of the bulbous 'joints' on the bridge, they affected the flow not one iota - especially as LHR's bridges on T5 are 2 persons wide.

I think it is to stop incoming passengers grabbing some reading material ...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:18 am

Who reads newspapers nowadays?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think it is to stop incoming passengers grabbing some reading material ...
Is there nowhere for arriving passengers to buy reading material?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Is there nowhere for arriving passengers to buy reading material?
Well the offering was complimentary until recently.

Another data point from tonight on a T5B gate - no sign of the newspaper bins on the jetty ...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Well the offering was complimentary until recently.

Another data point from tonight on a T5B gate - no sign of the newspaper bins on the jetty ...
Well it's not clear whether there has been any change of practice, but even if there has, so what? Providing newspapers for use on board is one thing, but why on earth would anyone imagine that BA should be obligated to furnish their reading materials for when they are on the Piccadilly Line after their flight...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CCayley
Well it's not clear whether there has been any change of practice, but even if there has, so what? Providing newspapers for use on board is one thing, but why on earth would anyone imagine that BA should be obligated to furnish their reading materials for when they are on the Piccadilly Line after their flight...
It was scarcely guaranteed anyway, e.g. if it was a bus arrival gate.

I've been told the reason for moving the bin was mainly safety led, but it also allows the bins to be refilled in the morning much more quickly.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Exactly! I had always regarded these newspapers as intended for people who were about to fly rather than those who had just disembarked. If you look at the placement of similar newspaper racks at other airports or by other airlines, that would seem to be a consistent intention across the industry. That doesn't mean that I haven't sometimes taken one on disembarking at T5, but I can't see any grounds for complaint about a change.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Exactly! I had always regarded these newspapers as intended for people who were about to fly rather than those who had just disembarked. If you look at the placement of similar newspaper racks at other airports or by other airlines, that would seem to be a consistent intention across the industry. That doesn't mean that I haven't sometimes taken one on disembarking at T5, but I can't see any grounds for complaint about a change.
To be honest, I was noting their change of position - I often grab the papers in the lounge at T5, but if I do, I find it easier on the bridge whilst I'm stood waiting to board, than at the top of the escalators where I'm more likely to walk past them.

As for the arrival point - it was a sidebar, in relation to the faintly ridiculous cost cutting decision by BA to remove them from outstations. Which was stupid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.