Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missing luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Missing luggage

Hi there, looking for some advice please.
Flew to Phoenix via Glasgow on Thursday, one case arrived and two didn't. Not unexpected due to the LHR baggage problems and initially we weren't concerned. Got another case on Saturday (but it was the mostly empty one we fill up to return with!)
Since then the last communication about the missing case was an email on Friday stating it would arrive in Phoenix on the sat pm flight. World tracers updates are sporadic and the status of the missing case never changes.
The problem is that we are leaving in the early am for a couple of days in California, we have really just been buying essentials but my husband (it's his case and all his clothes that are missing) is getting really fed up having a choice of two pairs shorts etc!! Do you think if it's unreasonable to purchase a few more items of clothing to last for a trip? where does BA draw the line at essentials?
We are driving down to Phoenix airport today just to check the bag isn't there with no tags on etc. I realise this is minor compared to issues people face but this has really put a dampener on our holiday so far. I've phoned and tweeted BA and have now given up trying to communicate with them...it was just too frustrating!! Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, the advice I tend to give here is don't spend hours trying to track down bags or ringing BA, just update WorldTracer with the latest contact details and get on with your life. Moreover since BA does not pay laundry bills, it's quite ok to keep buying your reasonable clothing needs until the bag reappears. The line is drawn at approximately Ł1200, which is the maximum for a lost bag, otherwise keep it at a level that can be justified as reasonable.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks c-w-s for your advice, will go purchase more clothes today if the airport trip proves to be a waste of time! 😬
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Time to go outlet mall shopping!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not bother driving to PHX. The likelihood of any meaningful assistance is somewhere between none and minimal.

So long as your bag description is good and not only the tag, but the extra stickers have all fallen off and even then.... you are simply increasing your frustration level.

As noted above, just update WorldTracer. If you phone or walk up to any agent, they will be looking at the same information you can see for yourself.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Time to go outlet mall shopping!
Definitely recommend some shopping, They seem to payout most claims also without too much hassle unlike other airlines but even better if it was an empty case anyway lol - Or did I read that wrong?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

The empty case arrived! It is my husbands case full of clothes that is missing 🙈
We won't go to the airport,I agree it would probably just have been a waste of time anyway!! Thanks for all replies and advice given👍🏼
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
As noted above, just update WorldTracer. If you phone or walk up to any agent, they will be looking at the same information you can see for yourself.
Very often you'll get fobbed off with nonsense like "we'll get someone to check the warehouse now." That's always a lie, nobody does that. OP - Just keep info accurate and it'll eventually get there.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:59 am

The BA 27th May troubles, 4 days without luggage and I billed just under Ł200 for toiletries for wife, daughter and I and just under Ł700 on clothes. BA paid up within a few days of claim. The world tracer never showed our bag as found, it was the excellent concierge who kept chasing via the local airport services who told us it was on its way day before we got it.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

As I said we are going to California for a couple of days, if I update WorldTracer to collect Phoenix airport rather than get it delivered would there be an issue if it was a couple of days before I collected it? I'm not putting a California address on WorldTracer as I definitely don't want it sent there!!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:13 am
Suspended

No, they will keep it for you for a few days.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by thistlegirl99
As I said we are going to California for a couple of days, if I update WorldTracer to collect Phoenix airport rather than get it delivered would there be an issue if it was a couple of days before I collected it? I'm not putting a California address on WorldTracer as I definitely don't want it sent there!!
I would in that situation put your UK or home address, if you don't want to use an address in California. I would not advocate a PHX airport address because baggage return is subcontracted out, and the contractor's warehouse may be nowhere near the airport. Moreover leaving bags around in one of the USA's largest airports for a "couple of days" and expecting them to find it swiftly seems an unlikely scenario to me.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by thistlegirl99
Definitely do not use the USA address if it was me I would send it home, you will still make it back before it does in all truth
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Asking for the luggage to be held at PHX is a bad idea. There is no room out there and the bag will simply be lost. That is particularly true for a carrier which has no US flights, e.g., all of its baggage services are on the sterile side of CBP and a contractor is not likely to hold the bag for more than a few hours.

If you are checking out of a hotel, better to make arrangements with the property to hold your bag should it arrive while you are in California.

Alternatively, just update WorldTracer to have the bag sent back home.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:13 am

And you may be able to claim your travel insurance as well as BA if it is for different items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.